January Bachelor Party

herb4372

Reaction score
Organizing a bachelor party for 6 guys in early January. We will be leaving from Houston. Considered a saltwater trip out of south Louisiana, but concerned that whether can get snotty that time of year and scrub all of our plans.

So, thinking San Juan river NM.

Experience levels vary from never before to novice.

Any recommendations on lodges in the area or other locations to consider? I previously fished the San Juan in February with pretty decent success....

Thanks
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

el jefe

Reaction score
Re: January Bschelor Party

Given your options, it sounds like you all have some resources, and aren't out there to whoop it up on the bachelor party trip. If you wanted to whoop it up, I wouldn't go to Navajo Dam, NM; there just aren't any options.

If all of the above is correct, you might consider Soaring Eagle Lodge up there. I've never stayed there, mostly because I forget it's there, and I just go for the cheap dive motels, like Abe's, which works fine, but might not be what you're looking for. Soaring Eagle does have dining and guide services, and it looks like they accommodate novices, too, including equipment.

Soaring Eagle Lodge - The only riverfront lodge on the San Juan River

As you are no doubt aware, it could be snowing or balmy at that time, but you can fish through all of that. Even though it might be cold, if the sun is out, it is pretty pleasant. The average high in January is 40*, but again, in the sun, that's pleasant in these parts. But if you're dressed for it, in modern outdoor clothing, it's all fine.

ryc72

Reaction score

How about charleston sc? From downtown charleston it's only 20 minutes to the isle of palms marina. I've never fished there in the winter (only the other 3 seasons) but I've read that fishing there in the winter can be pretty good. And every time I goto charleston all I see are bachelorette parties running around. Maybe not as many in January but the ladies at college of charleston should still be there. And if you have golfers in the group there is world class golf within an hours drive from downtown. And don't forget the food and drink, top notch. Weather can be a lil bit of a wild card but if you have a decent budget charleston ticks a lot bachelor party boxes.

kevind62

Reaction score

Fishing and hunting parties for bachelor parties are a great change. You do something you can actually remember. :D

My nephew's wedding was last spring and we did a quail hunt in GA for the party. Stayed in Chattanooga and drove across the state line to a quail preserve in north GA. Lots of fun. The "younger" crowd stayed in downtown so they could walk, stagger, or crawl back to the motel without the temptation of driving drunk. Good choice and impressed by the wisdom of a bunch of youngsters. The older guys (me and my two b-in-laws one of which was the father of the groom) stayed in a separate hotel for some peace & quiet, and rest for the hunt the next day. Had a few drinks with them early then retired to our rooms. Surprinsgly, most of the young crowd actually made the hunt. Just a couple were hungover and slept on the couches in the den of the lodge we were hunting at.

littledavid123

Reaction score

My recommendation follows a different path. Do a search for a great ice fishing lake up north and rent a big ice shanty for a few days. I understand some of those things are really nice with bunk beds, kitchen and the full works. The beer will stay cold and the fresh fried fish hot.

Dave

flyminded

Reaction score

One thing for sure you won't bump into any bachorellete parties in an ice shanty ...but in Charleston it is a distinct possibility- just something else to consider.:shades:

teardrop

Reaction score
Devils lake ice fishing would be a dream for the ice guys! Be pretty hard to fly fish those 8 inch holes are hard to hit with a fly rod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomilg

Reaction score
First post, as I just joined....I might be late to the party, so to speak, but why not consider Mexico from your location. I live in the Riviera Maya, Playa Del Carmen and our Fly Fishing locations are Bucket List items for fly flishing, Boca Piala and Acenscion Bay...but you can DIY all day long for Bonefish and Permit...just a thought.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
First post, as I just joined....I might be late to the party, so to speak, but why not consider Mexico from your location. I live in the Riviera Maya, Playa Del Carmen and our Fly Fishing locations are Bucket List items for fly flishing, Boca Piala and Acenscion Bay...but you can DIY all day long for Bonefish and Permit...just a thought.
Welcome to the Forum.

Last Spring I advised a younger friend on a bachelor party fishing destination. We discussed Punta Allen, permit and tequila. It didn't happen and I learned something in the process; neither his fiancé nor his buds young wives and girlfriends wanted the guys traveling to an area with potential exposure to Zika bearing mosquitos. The fallback was fishing redfish in Louisiana. Later, we had a lot of fun at he wedding.