Cost/benefit of windshield time vs flight time

yikes

Reaction score
Over on another thread about cross-country trips there was some discussion about how much time gets taken up by driving. For shorter trips, what are your deciding factors in flying vs driving? When is a little more "windshield time" worth it?

I'll give you my own example. I live in the metropolitan Los Angeles area, and I'll be taking a trip soon to do 2 days of guided fishing with a friend on the San Juan. As is often the case, this great fishery is somewhat remote from major regional airports. Yes, I can fly into Durango at a cost of $600 RT per person; but for that price I can fly to London or Barcelona, or fish the salt in Costa Rica.

The closest reasonably priced airport is Albuquerque, and on Southwest it's around $300 RT per person, plus rental car and LAX parking fees. Here's the travel time via air: 2 hours to pick up fishing buddy, get to airport and long-term park, check in bags, go through security; 4 hours flight time (incl transfer/layover); 1 hour bags, car rental + food stop; 3 hours drive time to Navajo Dam. Total 10 hours.

Via my own car = 800 miles, and with fast food breaks or eating in car, total 11-12 hours. Cost of gas is about $150, or $75 per person. (Depreciation on my car, maybe another $150.)

With only a 2 hour time difference, I'm choosing car every time, especially if someone else helps with driving duties. As opposed to a rental car, my own car is rigged for fishing exactly as I want, and I can bring as much gear as I want without the baggage and airport security hassles. We can bring a bunch of food and drinks. And if we add just 10 minutes, we can take the northern route through beautiful Monument Valley. We can fish on the last morning, and leave when we want without rushing back to make a flight. I don't have to promise a rental car company that I will stay on paved roads.

For these kind of distances, when does it make sense to fly instead?
- When the fishing destination is within an hour of the airport (example, Provo River near Salt Lake City), leaving just enough time to wet lines on the afternoon of arrival.
- When going solo, on a great airfare sale (my last airfare to SLC was $111 RT, cheaper than gas, and a nonstop flight)
- When your road trip start time would put you in traffic hell on the freeways leading out of town.
- When your destination does not require you to bring a lot of gear, such as summertime wet-wading, so you can cut down on the airport check-in / check out.

What do you think?

Last edited:

biker1usa

Reaction score
We ride a Honda Goldwing and would much rather ride to our destination anywhere in the US. The experience of seeing, smelling and being out in the open while travelling is unmatched. Then at the destination we can not only fish, but ride and see our beautiful country all over.:fishing:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The wife is expecting me to fly to south Florida this winter, spend a few days and fly home.
I'm afraid that's not going to be sufficient, fishing time wise :cool:

My plan is to drive my own truck and camp and fish where I please for probably a couple of weeks... at least ;)
The drive will be 2 long or 3 shorter days, each way, but the freedom of having my own vehicle, kayak and camping gear easily makes up for that.
Besides, the travel is half the adventure

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Your not going to follow the strip bass migration are you :)

I'm thinking of that animated video posted years ago about following the fish to catch a 40 pound striped bass, remember?

tcorfey

Reaction score
If the time is comparable (two to three hours difference is reasonable to me) I prefer to drive over fly. I like seeing the countryside at ground level and actually enjoy the drive as opposed to the hassle of getting through the airport and renting a car.

Don't get me wrong as I enjoy the actual flying part, but getting in and out of the airport, meeting their schedules, rules, extra charges, parking costs, wait times and risk of having items or luggage lost/taken are just to annoying and they do not allow me to relax the way I can when I am on my own schedule and in my own car.

Also if you have somebody you enjoy talking to and can share in the driving chores it makes driving a breeze.

PS, I usually load up my smart phone with podcasts from Orvis, fly fish radio, etc... which gets me in the mood for fishing and provides good conversation starters if you have a friend along.

Regards,

Tim C.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Your not going to follow the strip bass migration are you :)

I'm thinking of that animated video posted years ago about following the fish to catch a 40 pound striped bass, remember?
I loved that video. Watched it over and over.
Unfortunately it's gone

Him.."I have a big Shimano"
Her..."That sounds like a disease"

yikes

Reaction score
Yikes, look at flying into Farmington, if you haven't already. It's closer than Durango and might be cheaper.
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't looked into it, and yes it's a bit cheaper in gneeral, about $590 RT, perhaps cheaper if I could order further in advance. Unfortunately, Farmington is served only by Great Lakes Airlines, and their LAX route operates only on Mondays and Thursdays, and it appears to be seasonal one, ending on 10/30. I'm headed out the following weekend.

I will keep it in mind for next year's trip! It's a 19 seat Beechcraft, and it leaves LAX midday, so I could avoid cross-town traffic.

just4grins

Reaction score
I've flown for 50 years and still do occasionally. After all these years watching service decline, comfort, non-existence, and no first class or business available anymore without booking waaaay early, it sucks. However, the view through the windshield is fascinating, no longer push my self, every trip is an adventure with much to do and see. Ah, retirement.

denver1911

Reaction score
There is no one answer to this question. It's a very individual decision. I would not drive 800 miles anywhere to fish for two days. Well .. maybe for three. But it would have to be something special. But I would fly four to eight hours, including one stop, for a days fishing if it were good. Two days for sure. I have been to Belize three times. Two of those trips were for three days fishing. 45 minute drive to airport, 1:00 flight to Atlanta. 2:15 flight to Belize City. 15 minute flight to Ambergris Caye. 20 minute boat or cab to the resort. Counting the early arrival at the airport and layover times, it's about 8 hours of travel. But oh so worth it. If I could drive that eight hours, I would.

karstopo

Reaction score
There are a lot of ifs. And there's always unforeseen things and discomforts that crop up, risks to either plan. Attitude goes a long way with either scenario. Second guessing probably works against a good outcome.

yikes

Reaction score
I would not drive 800 miles anywhere to fish for two days.
Here in LA, the closest moving water with trout consistently over 12" is three hours' drive away; five hours if you want bigger trout. You adjust your limits of travel inconvenience according to what's available.

I know a guy who leaves LA at 4am driving solo, and is fishing the eastern Sierra by 9am; he knocks off at 4pm and is back home by 9pm. I would find that exhausting, but to each their own.

A couple of years ago I was on the Pecos River, talking to a guy from TU. I told him how lucky he was to have great trout waters so close to home. He asked me where I was from, and as soon as I mentioned So Cal his eyes glazed over and he talked about how much he liked visiting his son in Del Mar to fish the salt. He said "up here, every tug is the same thing: another cutthroat. But down at the surf, you never know what you'll pull up next!"
Humph. Never thought of it that way. I much prefer fishing a river that's 3-5 hours away than fishing the surf which is 1 hour away. I guess the (sea)grass is always greener on the other side.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I would drive rather than fly if I can drive the distance in one day. Fortunately I live within easy bicycle distance from good fishing for most freshwater fish, and it is an easy drive to RI for saltwater fish. So I haven't really gone any distance on a dedicated fishing trip: when we travel it is usually a family vacation with a variety of goals (sightseeing, shopping, swimming, diving, etc., along with some fishing if the location is right). The only "fishing trip" I take is an annual camping trip to RI with my brother to try to catch stripers.

karstopo

Reaction score
Sometimes, some stretches of road to get to a place will tilt the balance towards flying. I-10 going east from Houston is just horrendous with the traffic especially as one closes in New Orleans. There is a miles long bridge over the Atchafalaya basin in Louisiana that invariably gets shut down with a monster pile up. It's an hours type of detour or wait. I-10 west from Houston is only a little better, but once I get a little west of San Antonio it gets pleasant.

Flying in a private airplane low and slow, like a 4 seat Cessna, is fun and probably twice as fast as driving. My friend and I flew to Albuquerque from the Houston area in his 1960's vintage Cessna Cardinal. There's no getting out to stretch the legs until it's time to drop down for fuel and you had better have a strong bladder. Most of the small general aviation airports have courtesy cars that can be borrowed for a time for free. He flies to Louisiana for lunch and is back well before dinner. But it's weather dependent.

c web

Reaction score
My favorite fishing is 4 to 6 hour drive, I drive it frequently and have even done day trips to fish but most of the time it is at least an overnight.

I am driving to East Tennessee on Wednesday I can't leave until around 3:00 in the afternoon so I will arrive somewhere between 7:30 and 8 in the evening.

Set up in the dark,
rack out,
get up in the morning fish until I am too tired,
rack out,
get up Friday morning fish another stream till about lunch,
pack up,
drive home,

get home right about the time my wife gets home from work....perfect. :D

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

To answer your question I much prefer to drive however 8 hours would be just about my limit for a 2 day trip.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Driving, Flying and Alternative III.

What we westerners need to do is to kick congress and amtrak in their collective derriere's and demand that they extend Amtrak Auto Train | Amtrak Vacations to points west.
With stations near major population hubs and drop offs within a days drive of major western attractions, National Parks, etc. Doing that would make mid to long distance travel for those with gear intensive pursuits easier and it could be a huge help to businesses too.

Back to the specifics of your question: When I was living on the west slope of the Sierra, flying to the San Juan was the only way to go. Now being based out of Las Vegas, its a 50/50 proposition. From Las Vegas, I'd still rather fly into ABQ and make the drive up. But then I prefer to spend my nights in Farmington at a business class hotel over the local accommodations.

Conversely I still make the 8.5 hour drive through hell, just to get to Reno several times a year when I could easily fly. I'm less than 20 minutes from McCarren. ( if they circled the globe, I'd have enough S.W. miles to do it with a buddy and then some. ). It's seldom the time, I try to go on one nine day trip every month.
So why do I drive when I could fly? It's the gear...gear intensive trips mean driving or shipping it ahead. Ah' but with Auto-Train you could ride the rails with your vehicle and possibly your drift boat too.

Dave

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I love trains. I have traveled by train pretty extensively in Europe and Asia, and if we had trains like they have I would only get on a plane if I needed to cross an ocean.

Though my real fantasy is the return of zeppelins.

spm

Reaction score
I drive. I flew enough when I was working that I am happy never to step onto an airplane, again.

steve

myt1

Reaction score
I just love to drive and take road trips.

Sometimes I think I enjoy the driving and camping as much as the fishing.

If I just got my butt kicked at a particular location I know a nice long drive to the next location will help me decompress and recharge my batteries for the next challenge.

I also like to see how cheap I can go.

I just came back from a 12 day, 1,700 mile trip and I did the whole thing for $650, including gas and a few optional expenses like flies at a fly shop and a warmer pair of pants at a Cabela's. I eat a lot of Subway sandwiches and turkey chili.

By far my largest expenditure was gas for my Tundra which gets 15 mpg on a good day. I spent over $300 on gas. But my truck, which has a shell, is also my hotel room.

Anyway, for me the driving is a significant part of the enjoyment I derive when I'm on a fishing trip.

Last edited:

c web

Reaction score
I just love to drive and take road trips.

Sometimes I think I enjoy the driving and camping as much as the fishing.

If I just got my butt kicked at a particular location I know a nice long drive to the next location will help me decompress and recharge my batteries for the next challenge.

I also like to see how cheap I can go.

I just came back from a 12 day 1,700 mile trip and I did the whole thing for $650, including gas and a few optional expenses like flies at a fly shop and a warmer pair of pants at a Cabela's. I eat a lot of Subway sandwiches and turkey chili.

By far my largest expenditure was gas for my Tundra which gets 15 mpg on a good day. I spent over $300 on gas. But my truck, which has a shell, is also my hotel room.

Anyway, for me the driving is a significant part of the enjoyment I derive when I'm on fishing trip.
Ahhh now your talking.

I am so cheap that I carry most of my own food, also stop at grocery stores instead of restaurants, a rotisserie chicken and some tortillas goes a long ways. LOL