Where to Summer Fly Trip

trapperwny

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm in WNY and the wife an I would like to take our 26 ft travel trailer on a fly fishing trip in July 2018. I was wondering if anyone had some experiences and good campgrounds to stay at and fly fish in the surrounding streams. We were thinking about the Catskills in NY or Western/ Central Pa. Just wondering where the best places to stay and fish are. Thanks

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
For Pennsylvania take a look at the Pine Creek Valley, there is a camp ground at Ceder Run and probably more since I've been back there. Also look into places at Cross Forks PA. and around Alvin Bush Dam, that is the Kettle Creek area. Weather is always the factor you can't predict, if it is a really warm June & July you'll end up on the small streams, if there has been rain and not such hot weather the big creeks like Pine Creek can be pretty good. Pine also has a good smallmouth bass population so even if things warm up there are fish that will be willing. The list for PA. is a long one and if you were looking at June I'd point at many other places like Penns Creek down at Weikert or up near Spring Mills but July can be difficult there.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Although he hasn't been around in a couple of years, a member here known as Sandfly runs a fly shop in the Pine Creek area (Wellsboro).
It's called Big Meadows Fly Shop... there's a facebook page.
I'm very sure that he's the guy you should talk to.

flybri2

Reaction score
During July in the Catskills you'll be relegated to the upper West branch or upper East branch of the Delaware due to summer temps. I know the upper East has a few private campgrounds, I don't know of any on the upper West. They're about 30 minutes apart so you could fish both with a short drive. Check google for campsites.