Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Exuma-Bonefish and Permit? Trip

Quote Originally Posted by flyminded View Post
    Capt. Rick Sawyer will put you on big Bonefish out of GTC. An interesting guy .....there are some very big bones in those parts.
    Talking with Ronnie. Who Iím guessing is his son.

I would go 8/9 with the rods. Just to have different available.
    Casting distance, op & another mentioned. Based on what I've witnessed, been told, read about. Regardless the reasons, there is a correlation for first time salt from fresh. 50' casts become 30' , & 75' become 50'. People are in fact going from a relatively protected area for casting. To the least protected from wind. Faults in casting stroke will make more difference than ever before. Throwing 50' if In to 10 or 15 mph winds ? If the winds are 20 to 30 ?
    I would always recommend first timers stay close. Save money & find out if your ready. That is if fishing not vacation is priority.
    Living in Richmond. Take a ride to coast. Some casting around mouth of Chesapeake will give you idea. Best time of year & place for highest concentration of stripers is the bay & now.
    If people can't drive to coast. You can find more varied conditions in Florida than maybe anyplace.

......... pc

Quote Originally Posted by pnc View Post
    Casting distance, op & another mentioned. Based on what I've witnessed, been told, read about. Regardless the reasons, there is a correlation for first time salt from fresh. 50' casts become 30' , & 75' become 50'. People are in fact going from a relatively protected area for casting. To the least protected from wind. Faults in casting stroke will make more difference than ever before. Throwing 50' if In to 10 or 15 mph winds ? If the winds are 20 to 30 ?
    I would always recommend first timers stay close. Save money & find out if your ready. That is if fishing not vacation is priority.
    Living in Richmond. Take a ride to coast. Some casting around mouth of Chesapeake will give you idea. Best time of year & place for highest concentration of stripers is the bay & now.
    If people can't drive to coast. You can find more varied conditions in Florida than maybe anyplace.

......... pc
    Good advice. Iím going to dive, figure Iíll fish at least a day while Iím there. My 50í trout cast on the sheltered blue lines of the Rockies is probably more like a 6 footer once I hit the flats. Wish me luck!

4. Default Re: Exuma-Bonefish and Permit? Trip

Just throwing it out there, but why not look at Mexico in lieu of Exuma. March is a great time to be here, the Bonefish are not as big but they are plentiful, and you have the opportunity for Permit, baby Tarpon in the lagoons and then Snook and Jacks from the shore, in the surf. The are multiple Fishing Lodges along Boca paila and Ascension Bay, of stay in Playa Del Carmen or Tulum for a little more non fishing activity. You can also hire a guide for a few days, or on a daily basis.

5. Default Re: Exuma-Bonefish and Permit? Trip

Quote Originally Posted by pnc View Post

......... pc
    Thats my biggest concern. Thanks for all the responses!

6. Default Re: Exuma-Bonefish and Permit? Trip

Thanks for all the input! I’ve enjoyed reading all these responses. I’m from Nashville, TN, and my in-laws are taking us all to Exuma soon. Since I’m not in charge of the trip, I can’t plan a guided day of bonefishing. Some good resources I’ve found:

ExumaBonefish.com
    Rod Hamilton's book Do It Yourself Bonefishing

I hope this helps any of you heading out after bonefish. This trip inspired me to get an 8 wt for my saltwater adventures, mainly in Florida, and I’ve been practicing my casting in windy conditions.

Worst case scenario - I spend some time on some beautiful flats practicing my casting with tough wind conditions. Best case - I catch a few fish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12