Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Exuma-Bonefish and Permit? Trip

Quote Originally Posted by flyminded View Post
    Capt. Rick Sawyer will put you on big Bonefish out of GTC. An interesting guy .....there are some very big bones in those parts.
    Talking with Ronnie. Who Iím guessing is his son.

I would go 8/9 with the rods. Just to have different available.
    Casting distance, op & another mentioned. Based on what I've witnessed, been told, read about. Regardless the reasons, there is a correlation for first time salt from fresh. 50' casts become 30' , & 75' become 50'. People are in fact going from a relatively protected area for casting. To the least protected from wind. Faults in casting stroke will make more difference than ever before. Throwing 50' if In to 10 or 15 mph winds ? If the winds are 20 to 30 ?
    I would always recommend first timers stay close. Save money & find out if your ready. That is if fishing not vacation is priority.
    Living in Richmond. Take a ride to coast. Some casting around mouth of Chesapeake will give you idea. Best time of year & place for highest concentration of stripers is the bay & now.
    If people can't drive to coast. You can find more varied conditions in Florida than maybe anyplace.

......... pc

Quote Originally Posted by pnc View Post
    Casting distance, op & another mentioned. Based on what I've witnessed, been told, read about. Regardless the reasons, there is a correlation for first time salt from fresh. 50' casts become 30' , & 75' become 50'. People are in fact going from a relatively protected area for casting. To the least protected from wind. Faults in casting stroke will make more difference than ever before. Throwing 50' if In to 10 or 15 mph winds ? If the winds are 20 to 30 ?
    I would always recommend first timers stay close. Save money & find out if your ready. That is if fishing not vacation is priority.
    Living in Richmond. Take a ride to coast. Some casting around mouth of Chesapeake will give you idea. Best time of year & place for highest concentration of stripers is the bay & now.
    If people can't drive to coast. You can find more varied conditions in Florida than maybe anyplace.

......... pc
    Good advice. Iím going to dive, figure Iíll fish at least a day while Iím there. My 50í trout cast on the sheltered blue lines of the Rockies is probably more like a 6 footer once I hit the flats. Wish me luck!

4. Default Re: Exuma-Bonefish and Permit? Trip

Just throwing it out there, but why not look at Mexico in lieu of Exuma. March is a great time to be here, the Bonefish are not as big but they are plentiful, and you have the opportunity for Permit, baby Tarpon in the lagoons and then Snook and Jacks from the shore, in the surf. The are multiple Fishing Lodges along Boca paila and Ascension Bay, of stay in Playa Del Carmen or Tulum for a little more non fishing activity. You can also hire a guide for a few days, or on a daily basis.

5. Default Re: Exuma-Bonefish and Permit? Trip

Quote Originally Posted by pnc View Post

......... pc
    Thats my biggest concern. Thanks for all the responses!

6. Default Re: Exuma-Bonefish and Permit? Trip

Thanks for all the input! I’ve enjoyed reading all these responses. I’m from Nashville, TN, and my in-laws are taking us all to Exuma soon. Since I’m not in charge of the trip, I can’t plan a guided day of bonefishing. Some good resources I’ve found:

ExumaBonefish.com
    Rod Hamilton's book Do It Yourself Bonefishing

I hope this helps any of you heading out after bonefish. This trip inspired me to get an 8 wt for my saltwater adventures, mainly in Florida, and I’ve been practicing my casting in windy conditions.

Worst case scenario - I spend some time on some beautiful flats practicing my casting with tough wind conditions. Best case - I catch a few fish.

If you're not dead set on fishing Exuma, I've always heard good things about the Black Fly Lodge and Oliver White's Abaco Lodge. You could always charter a boat to visit the pigs on a down day.

Black Fly
    Blackfly Lodge

Abaco Lodge
    Abaco Lodge | Best bonefishing in the Bahamas | A Nervous Waters Destination

As mentioned previously, if you want to see a lot of permits, you should check out Belize.

Quote Originally Posted by bradleymusic View Post
    Thanks for all the input! I’ve enjoyed reading all these responses. I’m from Nashville, TN, and my in-laws are taking us all to Exuma soon. Since I’m not in charge of the trip, I can’t plan a guided day of bonefishing. Some good resources I’ve found:

ExumaBonefish.com
    Rod Hamilton's book Do It Yourself Bonefishing

I hope this helps any of you heading out after bonefish. This trip inspired me to get an 8 wt for my saltwater adventures, mainly in Florida, and I’ve been practicing my casting in windy conditions.

Worst case scenario - I spend some time on some beautiful flats practicing my casting with tough wind conditions. Best case - I catch a few fish.
    I didn't see your last post, so ignore my previous response. You'll have a great trip regardless of where you fish.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgehlbly View Post
    Hello Everybody. I'm Mitchell out of Richmond, VA. I have just gotten addicted to fly fishing in the past year and been slowly working on it. We have fished for permit in the keys on light tackle. I have fished regularly for trout in va on creeks/rivers. I own a couple trout rod set ups, but nothing for salt flats.

I am trying to plan out a vacation to Exuma and am looking for advice. I plan on updating this thread with costs/pro/cons after the trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The wife likes to fish with me and that's a huge plus. She is dying to meet the swimming pigs, hence looking at Exuma. I have a ton of questions swirling around in my head. We are looking at doing 3-4 days of guided fishing.

1. I was looking at purchasing a 8wt 9' rod setup, but I would need a second rod for her (partially her and a backup). Should I purchase a 10wt 9' rod setup for permit, if seen? Ive read have a 10wt on hand and I have also read that guys havent seen many permit in exuma.

2. I was trying to set this up for March. Good time of the year?

3. I wanted to carry a spinning rod set up with us. Dont roast me for that. Neither of us have casted on salt flats. If either of us cant cut it and have traveled all that way and spent all that money. Come hell or high water I want to catch a fish! haha

4. Is 40-50' accurate casting with the double haul what it takes to make it happen? I've read all sorts of numbers online.

5. Any hotels recommended?

6. Any guides recommended?

7. There doesn't seem to be many guides and fishing lodges on Exuma. Am I throwing money away trying to fish there? It would be costly and time consuming to jump islands. Thoughts?

8. Any swimming pig recommendations for the wife? hahaha

Thanks in advance for advice.

-Mitchell
    1. I would say bring an 8 and a 9 weight, both 9' or 9 1/2'. The 9 is adequate for permit and could be easier casting for bonefish if it's windy. 10 is overdoing it unless you're going for permit and big jacks, etc., almost exclusively.

2. In early March the weather could be more unreliable. Last week of March into April is good. Best time is probably April into May.

3. Sure, suit yourself, can't hurt. I took my non-fly-fishing wife out for a day with a guide in the Berry Islands a couple of years ago. He gave her a spinning rod and some shrimp for bait, and she outfished me. But if you are having fun catching them on flies, chances are you probably won't use it.

4. You'll do fine at that distance. Still, the farther you can cast with accuracy and stealth, the better you'll do.

5. I don't have a recommendation. Have fished elsewhere in the Bahamas but not Exuma. TripAdvisor.com might be one place to look for recommendations.

6. Ditto, but Google is your friend.

7. If you do find a reputable fishing lodge and reputable guide, I would think you could book with confidence. Call them on the phone before you book, though -- a good guide will be candid about when and (in general terms) where. The Bahamas are full of fish, but you have to know where they are no matter which island you go to. Guides who don't know how to find the fish don't stay in business for very long. A decent book is Do-It-Yorself Bonefishing by Rod Hamilton. He's got a whole chapter on the Exumas and recommends some spots, so if you call a guide and he can talk intelligently about whether he agrees and how those spots have been fishing lately, he knows his stuff. A good guide can probably recommend local lodging as well.

8. See answer to #5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12