Exuma-Bonefish and Permit? Trip

dodgehlbly

Reaction score
Hello Everybody. I'm Mitchell out of Richmond, VA. I have just gotten addicted to fly fishing in the past year and been slowly working on it. We have fished for permit in the keys on light tackle. I have fished regularly for trout in va on creeks/rivers. I own a couple trout rod set ups, but nothing for salt flats.

I am trying to plan out a vacation to Exuma and am looking for advice. I plan on updating this thread with costs/pro/cons after the trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The wife likes to fish with me and that's a huge plus. She is dying to meet the swimming pigs, hence looking at Exuma. I have a ton of questions swirling around in my head. We are looking at doing 3-4 days of guided fishing.

1. I was looking at purchasing a 8wt 9' rod setup, but I would need a second rod for her (partially her and a backup). Should I purchase a 10wt 9' rod setup for permit, if seen? Ive read have a 10wt on hand and I have also read that guys havent seen many permit in exuma.

2. I was trying to set this up for March. Good time of the year?

3. I wanted to carry a spinning rod set up with us. Dont roast me for that. Neither of us have casted on salt flats. If either of us cant cut it and have traveled all that way and spent all that money. Come hell or high water I want to catch a fish! haha

4. Is 40-50' accurate casting with the double haul what it takes to make it happen? I've read all sorts of numbers online.

5. Any hotels recommended?

6. Any guides recommended?

7. There doesn't seem to be many guides and fishing lodges on Exuma. Am I throwing money away trying to fish there? It would be costly and time consuming to jump islands. Thoughts?

8. Any swimming pig recommendations for the wife? hahaha

Thanks in advance for advice.

-Mitchell

Last edited:

jr spey

Reaction score
Hello Everybody. I'm Mitchell out of Richmond, VA. I have just gotten addicted to fly fishing in the past year and been slowly working on it. We have fished for permit in the keys on light tackle. I have fished regularly for trout in va on creeks/rivers. I own a couple trout rod set ups, but nothing for salt flats.

I am trying to plan out a vacation to Exuma and am looking for advice. I plan on updating this thread with costs/pro/cons after the trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The wife likes to fish with me and that's a huge plus. She is dying to meet the swimming pigs, hence looking at Exuma. I have a ton of questions swirling around in my head. We are looking at doing 3-4 days of guided fishing.

1. I was looking at purchasing a 8wt 9' rod setup, but I would need a second rod for her (partially her and a backup). Should I purchase a 10wt 9' rod setup for permit, if seen? Ive read have a 10wt on hand and I have also read that guys havent seen many permit in exuma.

3. I wanted to carry a spinning rod set up with us. Dont roast me for that. Neither of us have casted on salt flats. If either of us cant cut it and have traveled all that way and spent all that money. Come hell or high water I want to catch a fish! haha

4. Is 40-50' accurate casting with the double haul what it takes to make it happen? I've read all sorts of numbers online.

7. There doesn't seem to be many guides and fishing lodges on Exuma. Are throwing money away trying to fish there? It would be costly and time consuming to jump islands. Thoughts?

-Mitchell
#1. Yes on the eight and probably no on the ten. Permit are not common enough there to specifically target then so having a 10 weight rod along would be more likely used for barracuda. Also, flies used in that area intended for permit aren't heavy enough to require a ten anyway. If you see a permit, throw your bonefish fly to him.

#2. Yes, although it can be quite windy in March. If you're thinking this year, you're pushing it as far as getting all your ducks in a row before heading off.

#3. I did that once and never used it. Didn't ever do it again. You'll likely want 2 or 3 piece rod so transport is not as big an issue.

#4. I'd say if you can do that you'll have a fine trip.

#5, 6. I haven't been there in quite a few years so I'll leave it to others to comment on this. There used to be a fairly popular bonefish lodge on Exuma, whose name escapes me right now. It was an all inclusive deal. If I think of its name I'll post again. Probably more $$$ than what a hotel/independent guide would cost.

#7. The population on Exuma is not large so one doesn't have the infrastructure that a Freeport/Nassau area does. To me, that's actually an advantage.

#8.. HaHa-what?

Hope this helps.

dodgehlbly

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast response.

1. understood. I wonder if I am buying a second rod, is it better to buy an additional 8wt. or go up? She and I could switch back and forth on the 8wt.

2. Yeah, not sure it will happen in march this year. not sure how brave I want to get with hurricane season. If you had to pick a month when would you go?

3. understood.

4. ok. practice, practice, practice

7. I was just making sure there is a fish population there.

8. Pig beach has blown up because of social media. Everybody wants to ride there and feed the wild pigs and get pictures. I cant complain though, she loves to fish and doesnt complain about a fishing trip. So whatever. lol.

-Mitchell

jr spey

Reaction score
#1. That's a tough call. I guess it depends upon what other use you could find for each of them. If it's mostly a tossup, I guess I would go with one of each. If you use a guide, however, there's good chance you'll be doing quite a bit of wade fishing that'll make it harder to share a rod than if you were in a boat.

#2. I've been in that area a lot in March and it's always quite windy. Hurricane season is always a tossup. I've followed hurricanes by less than a week in three different cases (Bahamas, Mexico, and the Keys.) Thankfully, I've never been down during one. My favorite time for flats' fishing is late April into May. I am always in the Keys during that time so I've only been bonefishing in the Bahamas once in that time period. The wind has usually laid down and yet it's before the major bug season. Doctorflies, especially, though not as bad there as Andros, can drive you nuts and they come out about the time the wind calms and the air gets more humid. That's why I don't like late May and into June. And who wants to be in the tropics during the summer when fishing is so good elsewhere?

#7. Yep. Flats on virtually all the Bahama islands have bonefish. The one variable is size, but if it's your first trip size won't be a huge priority for you. The bonefish lodge I was trying to think of is Peace and Plenty. I'm not sure it's still in operation, but a quick Google search will determine that. It's been twenty years since I was there, but I had a good guide and was reasonably pleased with the food and general attitude of the staff, and that is nowhere near a given in the Bahamas.

#8. Had no clue on this one! I barely know what social media even is---seriously!.

flyminded

Reaction score
If the swimming pigs is your thing...well Exuma it is.

If you want a chance at Bonefish and Permit on your first tropical fly fishing trip I’d take a look at Belize ....no swimming pigs though. Plenty of fish, Bonefish are generally smaller than in the Bahamas but what they lack in size they make up for in numbers ...which given it’s your first attempt may prove to be a plus.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
jr spey, I haven't been to Exuma in a long time but I think it might be Peace and Plenty in Georgetown you are thinking of. They might be out of business though. Not much shore access, a guide would be necessary there and Little Exuma to the south sometimes has permit...but like all the Bahamas, never can count on them.

dodge, 2 9'/#8's or 1 and a 9-weight for wind versatility but no #10...and you and your wife; practice, practice and practice some more.

jr spey

Reaction score
jr spey, I haven't been to Exuma in a long time but I think it might be Peace and Plenty in Georgetown you are thinking of. They might be out of business though. Not much shore access, a guide would be necessary there and Little Exuma to the south sometimes has permit...but like all the Bahamas, never can count on them.

dodge, 2 9'/#8's or 1 and a 9-weight for wind versatility but no #10...and you and your wife; practice, practice and practice some more.
I just looked it up in Stephen and Kim Vletas's Bahamas book, which is also getting long in the tooth. According to them, there are (were?) about four properties in the Peace and Plenty family. The hotel and the Beach Inn are in Georgetown. The Bonefish Lodge is down the island a bit, and the Beach Club is on Stocking Island. My time probably would have been better spent finding out if any of them are still open. Good idea about the 8 and 9 as a 9 comes in real handy when the winds gets up over 15 knots. I used a 10 for barracudas and once or twice for tarpon inside Miller's Creek on the edge of the West Side of Andros, but gave up bringing one years ago as it just wan't used enough to bother with hauling it down there.

Edit:

It seems that the P&P Bonefish Lodge is now closed. They are still doing business at the Hotel in Georgetown. Those who remember Magnolia will be happy to know she's now at the Hotel. Couldn't find out anything about the other two properties nor how much bonefishing is done out of the Hotel, but they have 2018 rates on their website.

Last edited:

zjory

Reaction score
Useful thread. I just booked the first week of April in Green Turtle Cay and plan to spend a couple days bonefishing. I'm also a long time trout fisher who will be making his first casts on salt water. Planning to pick up a 908 Meridian for the trip (figure it will be a great articulated streamer rod on the home waters (I buy into the articulated streamer craze)). Is 40-50' enough? Figured accuracy to 75' is required to have much luck.

jr spey

Reaction score
Useful thread. I just booked the first week of April in Green Turtle Cay and plan to spend a couple days bonefishing. I'm also a long time trout fisher who will be making his first casts on salt water. Planning to pick up a 908 Meridian for the trip (figure it will be a great articulated streamer rod on the home waters (I buy into the articulated streamer craze)). Is 40-50' enough? Figured accuracy to 75' is required to have much luck.
Useful, yes. Required, no. It might be very helpful on Biscayne Bay or the oceanside flats of Islamorada or Tavernier, but not really in the Caribbean. As Lefty always says, "There is no disadvantage to being able to cast long and accurately."

flyminded

Reaction score
Capt. Rick Sawyer will put you on big Bonefish out of GTC. An interesting guy .....there are some very big bones in those parts.

pnc

Reaction score
I would go 8/9 with the rods. Just to have different available.
Casting distance, op & another mentioned. Based on what I've witnessed, been told, read about. Regardless the reasons, there is a correlation for first time salt from fresh. 50' casts become 30' , & 75' become 50'. People are in fact going from a relatively protected area for casting. To the least protected from wind. Faults in casting stroke will make more difference than ever before. Throwing 50' if In to 10 or 15 mph winds ? If the winds are 20 to 30 ?
I would always recommend first timers stay close. Save money & find out if your ready. That is if fishing not vacation is priority.
Living in Richmond. Take a ride to coast. Some casting around mouth of Chesapeake will give you idea. Best time of year & place for highest concentration of stripers is the bay & now.
If people can't drive to coast. You can find more varied conditions in Florida than maybe anyplace.

......... pc

zjory

Reaction score
Casting distance, op & another mentioned. Based on what I've witnessed, been told, read about. Regardless the reasons, there is a correlation for first time salt from fresh. 50' casts become 30' , & 75' become 50'. People are in fact going from a relatively protected area for casting. To the least protected from wind. Faults in casting stroke will make more difference than ever before. Throwing 50' if In to 10 or 15 mph winds ? If the winds are 20 to 30 ?
I would always recommend first timers stay close. Save money & find out if your ready. That is if fishing not vacation is priority.
Living in Richmond. Take a ride to coast. Some casting around mouth of Chesapeake will give you idea. Best time of year & place for highest concentration of stripers is the bay & now.
If people can't drive to coast. You can find more varied conditions in Florida than maybe anyplace.

......... pc
Good advice. I’m going to dive, figure I’ll fish at least a day while I’m there. My 50’ trout cast on the sheltered blue lines of the Rockies is probably more like a 6 footer once I hit the flats. Wish me luck!

tomilg

Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, but why not look at Mexico in lieu of Exuma. March is a great time to be here, the Bonefish are not as big but they are plentiful, and you have the opportunity for Permit, baby Tarpon in the lagoons and then Snook and Jacks from the shore, in the surf. The are multiple Fishing Lodges along Boca paila and Ascension Bay, of stay in Playa Del Carmen or Tulum for a little more non fishing activity. You can also hire a guide for a few days, or on a daily basis.

dodgehlbly

Reaction score

......... pc
Thats my biggest concern. Thanks for all the responses!

bradleymusic

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! I’ve enjoyed reading all these responses. I’m from Nashville, TN, and my in-laws are taking us all to Exuma soon. Since I’m not in charge of the trip, I can’t plan a guided day of bonefishing. Some good resources I’ve found:

ExumaBonefish.com
Rod Hamilton's book Do It Yourself Bonefishing

I hope this helps any of you heading out after bonefish. This trip inspired me to get an 8 wt for my saltwater adventures, mainly in Florida, and I’ve been practicing my casting in windy conditions.

Worst case scenario - I spend some time on some beautiful flats practicing my casting with tough wind conditions. Best case - I catch a few fish.

bluwave

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! I’ve enjoyed reading all these responses. I’m from Nashville, TN, and my in-laws are taking us all to Exuma soon. Since I’m not in charge of the trip, I can’t plan a guided day of bonefishing. Some good resources I’ve found:

ExumaBonefish.com
Rod Hamilton's book Do It Yourself Bonefishing

I hope this helps any of you heading out after bonefish. This trip inspired me to get an 8 wt for my saltwater adventures, mainly in Florida, and I’ve been practicing my casting in windy conditions.

Worst case scenario - I spend some time on some beautiful flats practicing my casting with tough wind conditions. Best case - I catch a few fish.
I didn't see your last post, so ignore my previous response. You'll have a great trip regardless of where you fish.

moucheur2003

Reaction score

7. There doesn't seem to be many guides and fishing lodges on Exuma. Am I throwing money away trying to fish there? It would be costly and time consuming to jump islands. Thoughts?

-Mitchell
1. I would say bring an 8 and a 9 weight, both 9' or 9 1/2'. The 9 is adequate for permit and could be easier casting for bonefish if it's windy. 10 is overdoing it unless you're going for permit and big jacks, etc., almost exclusively.

2. In early March the weather could be more unreliable. Last week of March into April is good. Best time is probably April into May.

3. Sure, suit yourself, can't hurt. I took my non-fly-fishing wife out for a day with a guide in the Berry Islands a couple of years ago. He gave her a spinning rod and some shrimp for bait, and she outfished me. But if you are having fun catching them on flies, chances are you probably won't use it.

4. You'll do fine at that distance. Still, the farther you can cast with accuracy and stealth, the better you'll do.

5. I don't have a recommendation. Have fished elsewhere in the Bahamas but not Exuma. TripAdvisor.com might be one place to look for recommendations.

6. Ditto, but Google is your friend.

7. If you do find a reputable fishing lodge and reputable guide, I would think you could book with confidence. Call them on the phone before you book, though -- a good guide will be candid about when and (in general terms) where. The Bahamas are full of fish, but you have to know where they are no matter which island you go to. Guides who don't know how to find the fish don't stay in business for very long. A decent book is Do-It-Yorself Bonefishing by Rod Hamilton. He's got a whole chapter on the Exumas and recommends some spots, so if you call a guide and he can talk intelligently about whether he agrees and how those spots have been fishing lately, he knows his stuff. A good guide can probably recommend local lodging as well.

8. See answer to #5