Spring Destination Suggestions

Lpmitch

Reaction score
Some friends and I are planning a trip for the first week of April. We live in central California and we are currently thinking of going to the Green River below Flaming Gorge or the San Juan. I have fished the Green a few times and I loved it. I have never been to the San Juan.

What other rivers should we consider? We plan on wade fishing and possibly hiring a guide one day.

Thanks for the input!

Luke

Lpmitch

Reaction score
I know both rivers can be unbelievable. I’m just curious as to what River might be fishing better at the beginning of April.

I know the BWO hatch heats up on the Green in early April and if we catch that right I’m sure we could see some incredible conditions.

Anyone know of current conditions or future conditions on the San Juan?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Luke
Either river will be fishing fantastic in April.
I fished the San Juan in January when the reservoir was turning over so the San Juan was way off color, but we still caught plenty of fish. We shared a room at Abs to keep the cost down, and had a great time.
My favorite time to fish the Green below Flaming Gorge is April/May (before the tuber hatch gets started) and like you said the bwo hatch can be incredible. I guess if I was making a decision, it would all boil down to what the weather was doing in either of those locations.

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
Luke, A little info for you. My guide on the Green recommends late april for the best shot at the BWO hatch. Certainly may get into them earlier but that is the best chance.
And to Larry, My son and I are going the last week of April for my first try at the BWO's on the Green;)