Airline traveling with gear

scoutm

Reaction score
Great info but I'm surprised he says airlines don't allowed rod cases as carry on. I pretty much have to travel by air to go fishing (for trout at least) and I've never had an issue with carrying on my rod case.

kevind62

Reaction score
It depends on the length of the rod case/tube. Most of them have a length limit. I don't know of any the will not accept a 4 piece rod tube as a carry-on and 3 piece for that matter (if you're flying domestic) as long as it's not a 3 piece 14'+ spey rod. Always check the length limits. Go to the respective airline website and they'll list a breakdown of limitations.

Having said that, I wish I had my gear here at work with me to take a photo to show but unfortunately I don't. But, I consolidate my gear. I also pack as lean as possible. When flying first class on business I don't have this problem. But if I'm "downgrading" to economy on my own dime ;) I've learned (from flight attendants, when you fly first class they always tell you these little secrets) how to get around the limitations.

Buy the largest allowed carry-on luggage possible. Most places that sell luggage have a little crate that you place your bag in to check the size for this. Pack lean and smart. For your waders and clothes buy those vacuum bags from Bed Bath and Beyond or somewhere else that sells them. If you have a shop-vac this will increase your space optimization tremendously since they normally pull more of a vacuum than your house vac will. If you have some type of a food saver vacuum pack device this will shrink your package even more. Pull it down initially with the shop-vac. Then attach the food vacuum packer and you'll be able to pull it down even more. This is especially helpful with neoprene waders. It won't cause any damage and will suck those babies down to about 1/4 of their initial size in your bag. Clothes even more. Important thing to remember here is make sure your luggage has a closed separator. Most of them do. One side of your luggage will have a flap you can zip to separate contents from one side from the other. This is especially helpful if you have something that might have a hard or sharp point on it. Want to keep your vacuum bags protected from these things. On the way back, if you're staying in a motel, most motels will let you use their vacuums to repack. If not, stop off at a car wash or gas station that has a coin operated ones and use it. I've yet to fly an airline that checks the weight of your carry-on bags, so you can pack them full without this added worry about making the limit. But again, I don't fly airlines that charge you for carry-on so can't say if those do or not.

Also, carry a backpack. Put all of your fly boxes in your backpack. Use Rod&Reel combo cases. Here's where you start to consolidate. I take my landing net and my rod/reel case and stuff them down in the largest compartment in my backpack. Then zip the zippers on both sides up to the middle and tie them together with an old shoestring or something to the liking to keep them from opening up. This counts as "one bag". Like I said, pack lean to save money. I've actually packed my 6" Sage Ballistic tube in my backpack. Looks a bit awkward, but technically, it still qualifies as one bag. :D Another trick for your tackle is one of those waist tackle packs. It qualifies as a "fanny pack" and doesn't count as part of your carry-on. You'll have to take it off to get through security but not at the gate when boarding. And, when the attendant isn't looking, you can take it off and "place it under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin". ;)

Now, most of the larger airlines don't charge for carry-on but some of the smaller ones do so you need to check this and compare prices (total ticket price bags included) when shopping around. The smaller guys use their ticket prices minus the baggage fees to try to appear "cheaper". Once you add in all the hidden fees you'll often find the bigger guys just as cheap or cheaper. Just about all airlines charge for checked bags nowadays unless you're a tier member of their respective frequent flyer programs. For the most part their around $25 domestic. Some are more. Check this also. If you haven't already, it's a good idea to join one or more of these. They're free. And if you fly enough with one or more you'll get the perk of one free checked bag if you reach their program tier threshold.

It's all about weight vs fuel consumption + overhead + profit. They figure the maximum weight the plane can carry and how much fuel it will take to get from point A to B + operating overhead. Then divide that buy available seats with a small factor of not filling every seat and there you have your ticket price. The scam is now, for competitive advertising, they deduct the "extra weight" of all of your "stuff" from the "initial" ticket price and show only what they charge for your weight first. You basically don't see all the add-ons until just before you click on "purchase" hoping they don't scare you away when you see that huge spike in your total price. You know, when that "$90" round trip ticket now suddenly costs $245? :surprise::wow::faint:

I fly roughly 10K miles a month these days for business. I pretty much only fly Delta now if it's on my dime simply because, as Forest Gump would have put it, "I've got more flyer miles than Davy Crocket". :) So I've pretty much learned most every trick in the book on getting around baggage fees and limitations.

Last edited:

myt1

Reaction score
What about a golf club carrier

I once had an extremely bad experience on a trip, flying Delta and American Airlines. (Sorry to some of you, I've mention this a few times in previous posts.)

I purchased and extremely nice military style rolling duffel bag that was made for military personnel to carry rifles on a plane. It was perfect for carrying a ton of fishing gear, including rod tubes and waders.

The problem was it was over-sized. It exceeded the 62" limit, length, width, height, established by the airlines by several inches, and both airlines charged me more to check this bag than I paid for my original ticket. It would've been cheaper for me to buy an additional ticket and strap the suitcase into the seat next to me. The duffel measured 67", 5 inches over the limit, and it was my only piece of luggage besides a carry-on backpack.

I asked the manager behind the counter if they would charge me $250 to check a set of golf clubs. He said they wouldn't because golf clubs are "sporting equipment". When you measure the length,width and height of a golf club carrier it exceeds the measurements of the duffel I was traveling with.

So, now I'm wondering if I should get a golf club carrier and stuff it with all my fishing gear.

Depending on the airline there might be an additional fee for a second suitcase, but it won't be a $250 additional fee.

Also, Southwest allows you to bring two suitcases for no additional charge and one of those pieces can be a set of golf clubs. I specifically asked them this question last time I flew Southwest.

Has anyone tried this, carrying fishing gear in a golf club carrier?

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
Re: What about a golf club carrier

I had an interesting experience when traveling to Florida for a work trip, but I also brought my fishing gear as I had enough time to get some water time. I packed light, carry on suitcase and my backpack with my 8wght rod strapped to the side. I was flying American to Tampa Bay Florida with a layover in Phoenix. Leaving Salt Lake City, no problems, easy getting on the plane, no one said anything. Arrived in Phoenix, ate some breakfast and headed to the gate, as I was walking down the terminal to the plane I heard "Sir, SIR!" and then some lady come running after me and tapping on the shoulder. "I think your bag is too big, follow me back to the gate so we can measure it" I was really nice and said, OK, but I just flew in from SLC and was on the same exact plane and it was not too big and no one said anything on that flight. My suitcase fit just fine in the overhead on the flight to PHX. Got back to the gate and they said it was to "thick" so I had to check it. At this point I was little irritated and asked why when it clearly was a "carry-on suitcase" I bought it just for that purpose! She then said "well you already have to carry-on items" "HUH?" I asked, "Well, your backpack is one, and whatever is strapped to the side of your backpack is the second. If it is not part of the backpack, we consider it an additional item, and we only allow two items to be carry-on, so you will have to check your suitcase either way"

I think she was having a bad day, as the rest of my flights were hassle free with the same exact setup.

But, just be warned, this is a possibility.

original cormorant

Reaction score

I do tropical trips so my kit never involves waders or double handed rods.

However with upto 6 rods and 10 reels/spools my baggage always seems to weigh 30kg rather than 23kg. In the old days I could generally blag my way to 30kg on the basis that I wasn't using my then free sporting equipment allowance.
Now my heavy items - mainly reels, are stored in a roll-top water-proof duffel which becomes my boat bag. For travelling to and from the airport this goes in the top of my big roller duffel and is then taken out to become my carry-on.

The important point is to understand what is permitted as carry on and be organised to check your carry-on if the interpretation of allowed items changes. As an example travelling in europe many anglers have reported being forced to check reels whereas travelling to and within the americas I've never known of a problem.

This has never happened but if I'm ever told that I can't carry my bag on and there isn't time to check it then I plan to refuse to board the plane - which will cause far more hassle and delay than allowing me to check it late or carry it on.

If buying new luggage check its weight, I could also give design specs for baggage handler proof luggage - in particular check how handles that may be grabbed are fixed/anchored.

I

ikankecil

I've had very hit/miss luck with traveling out of Mexico with fishing equipment. I think it largely depends on the person/s at the security checkpoint that day and how corrupt they are. I've sometimes been able to carry on just about anything and at other times been told that none of my stuff was allowed - sometimes it's blatantly obvious the security personnel just want you to forfeit the gear so they can have it.

One trip, leaving Cabo, I was told that my titanium pliers were not allowed (they were quite small, well below the 7" stated policy). Fine, I'll go back and check them in. Oh, "no sir, you don't have time!". Yeah, it's three hours before boarding, I have plenty of time. The security guy was obviously miffed, he wanted those pliers bad.

Another time, also departing Cabo, I saw two guys feverishly stripping all the line off of two 80W reels as the security guy said no fishing line was allowed. Those guys were not giving up two 80W's.

Now when I fly out of anywhere in Mexico I check everything on and cross my fingers. And, sadly, I travel to Mexico with my lesser rods/reels/etc as I know I'll be checking them on baggage for the return.

By contrast, the Bahamas and Belize have been absolutely golden, they know about fishing and anything and everything is fine with them when flying between airports in-country or back to the U.S.

bonefish41

Reaction score

In August signs were up in Cabo and Loreto at check in and at security...plainly IDing fishing stuff and just about everything else sporting equipment checked bags...my trips Bahamas, Miami, and KW are short 5-6 days including travel time my... kit is light and washable...everything is in my kit pictured four rods clothes etc and I have carried it on all USA carriers coming and going USA and Bahamas and only going down Mexico. FYI the Orvis pack is the size of a violin caseTravel.jpg

tomsakai

Reaction score

Just finished a 10 day trip to Bozeman (actually Philipsburg and West Yellowstone). I packed my clothes, waders, boots, and assorted gear in a rolling duffel. Weighed it with a portable digital scale before I left to make sure it was less than 50 pounds (it weighed something like 48.5 at home and at check in, 49.5 on the return trip). Carried my rods, reels, flies, and assorted gear in a large size Orvis Safe Passage Carry It All case (36" long so an 11 foot direct contact rod would fit). It was fine as a carry on on all flights and fit in the overhead compartments. One word of caution, in addition to prohibiting bear spray as a carry on, there were signs in the Bozeman airport that trekking poles were also prohibited as a carry on. I assume this would also apply to wading staffs.

clouserguyky

Reaction score

This all makes me feel much better about flying with gear for the first time this coming week!

tomsakai

Reaction score

Btw I was flying on Alaska. Got asked about checking my orvis case but the lady at checkin didn’t push the issue especially when I volunteered to check it at the gate if necessary (wasn’t necessary). That was my second trip this year on Alaska with the orvis case.

patrick62

Reaction score

Twice in the last decade I flew to the West Coast -- SF and Portland, Ore. -- for trips that included fishing.

Both times I packed what gear I needed in a sturdy box, insured the hell out of it, and shipped it ahead by UPS, with signature required on receiving end. My friends knew it was coming and arranged to have someone home. (Didn't want a large tempting box sitting on the porch or stoop all day.)

Repeat process for return trip.

If this is feasible I recommend it. I loathe flying to begin with, and the idea of wrangling over dimensions and weights with airline employees fills me with horror

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
So I thought that I responded to this thread back a few months ago when I took my first fly fishing trip involving air travel out to Oregon and Washington State. My rods, reels and flybox fit in my LL Bean Maine Guide Waxed Canvas four piece rod case which I used as a carry on as it was a short trip. This case has room for three rods and the big pockets easily handled the reels and flybox. It even has a slit sleeve that is sized for my airline ticket wallet, for boarding passes and such. with dimensions of 33¼"L x 8½"W x 2½"D, it had no problem staying in airline policy and fit perfectly in the overhead. The only cautionary note is LL Bean makes a two section Maine Guide Waxed Canvas rod case as well which is much longer and would not fit into most overhead compartments. I will note that after that trip I was specifically on the hunt for a 13' 8" spey rod which would fit in that same case and I found one in the Beulah's Platinum G2, which breaks down into six sections to accomplish the fit. So yes I can carry a long spey rod as well as two single handers in that case on a trip. If this was a longer trip I might well have carried a daypack as my "carry on" and the rod case would have been my personal item. 243010_622_41.jpg

In terms of boots and waders, They fit into a small gym bag which I packed inside of a 24" suitcase, which served as my rollaboard until the airlines decided to make everyone try and fit a week's worth of business and casual clothes into a 22" roller. I packed the rest of my clothes into the 24 inch roller and checked that through to my destination. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
This case got lots of compliments, in the airports and at stream side. I love the way that they case is setup, thick layered quilting to protect contents, stretch loops to hold rod tubes in place while traveling, big deep zippered pockets and the waxed canvas material. Since buying it I have sprayed it down with Nikwax, my normal waterproofing treatment for all my outdoor gear . Not meant to keep the case water tight during a dunking in a stream but it will let rain roll off of the surface in a decent rainstorm while transiting from place to place. Last, I really like that it's a handsome piece of luggage that would not look out of place if I took it on a business trip with my regular carry on kit of a daypack and 3 day 22" rollaboard bag.