Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default Re: What about a golf club carrier

In August signs were up in Cabo and Loreto at check in and at security...plainly IDing fishing stuff and just about everything else sporting equipment checked bags...my trips Bahamas, Miami, and KW are short 5-6 days including travel time my... kit is light and washable...everything is in my kit pictured four rods clothes etc and I have carried it on all USA carriers coming and going USA and Bahamas and only going down Mexico. FYI the Orvis pack is the size of a violin caseTravel.jpg

2. Likes clouserguyky liked this post

Default Re: What about a golf club carrier

Just finished a 10 day trip to Bozeman (actually Philipsburg and West Yellowstone). I packed my clothes, waders, boots, and assorted gear in a rolling duffel. Weighed it with a portable digital scale before I left to make sure it was less than 50 pounds (it weighed something like 48.5 at home and at check in, 49.5 on the return trip). Carried my rods, reels, flies, and assorted gear in a large size Orvis Safe Passage Carry It All case (36" long so an 11 foot direct contact rod would fit). It was fine as a carry on on all flights and fit in the overhead compartments. One word of caution, in addition to prohibiting bear spray as a carry on, there were signs in the Bozeman airport that trekking poles were also prohibited as a carry on. I assume this would also apply to wading staffs.

4. Likes k_e_v liked this post
  5. Default Re: What about a golf club carrier

This all makes me feel much better about flying with gear for the first time this coming week!

Btw I was flying on Alaska. Got asked about checking my orvis case but the lady at checkin didn’t push the issue especially when I volunteered to check it at the gate if necessary (wasn’t necessary). That was my second trip this year on Alaska with the orvis case.

7. Likes k_e_v liked this post

Thanks for sharing this kind of knowledge.

Twice in the last decade I flew to the West Coast -- SF and Portland, Ore. -- for trips that included fishing.

Both times I packed what gear I needed in a sturdy box, insured the hell out of it, and shipped it ahead by UPS, with signature required on receiving end. My friends knew it was coming and arranged to have someone home. (Didn't want a large tempting box sitting on the porch or stoop all day.)

Repeat process for return trip.

If this is feasible I recommend it. I loathe flying to begin with, and the idea of wrangling over dimensions and weights with airline employees fills me with horror

10. Likes myt1, iv_wjb, jr spey liked this post
    Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and Shenandoah Rivers, Exploring NY and PNW rivers

Default Re: Airline traveling with gear

So I thought that I responded to this thread back a few months ago when I took my first fly fishing trip involving air travel out to Oregon and Washington State. My rods, reels and flybox fit in my LL Bean Maine Guide Waxed Canvas four piece rod case which I used as a carry on as it was a short trip. This case has room for three rods and the big pockets easily handled the reels and flybox. It even has a slit sleeve that is sized for my airline ticket wallet, for boarding passes and such. with dimensions of 33"L x 8"W x 2"D, it had no problem staying in airline policy and fit perfectly in the overhead. The only cautionary note is LL Bean makes a two section Maine Guide Waxed Canvas rod case as well which is much longer and would not fit into most overhead compartments. I will note that after that trip I was specifically on the hunt for a 13' 8" spey rod which would fit in that same case and I found one in the Beulah's Platinum G2, which breaks down into six sections to accomplish the fit. So yes I can carry a long spey rod as well as two single handers in that case on a trip. If this was a longer trip I might well have carried a daypack as my "carry on" and the rod case would have been my personal item. 243010_622_41.jpg

In terms of boots and waders, They fit into a small gym bag which I packed inside of a 24" suitcase, which served as my rollaboard until the airlines decided to make everyone try and fit a week's worth of business and casual clothes into a 22" roller. I packed the rest of my clothes into the 24 inch roller and checked that through to my destination. I hope that helps.
    Last edited by City Rat; 12-02-2019 at 09:59 PM.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

12. Likes iv_wjb liked this post

I like the look of that LL Bean case!
    Wallace

Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and Shenandoah Rivers, Exploring NY and PNW rivers

This case got lots of compliments, in the airports and at stream side. I love the way that they case is setup, thick layered quilting to protect contents, stretch loops to hold rod tubes in place while traveling, big deep zippered pockets and the waxed canvas material. Since buying it I have sprayed it down with Nikwax, my normal waterproofing treatment for all my outdoor gear . Not meant to keep the case water tight during a dunking in a stream but it will let rain roll off of the surface in a decent rainstorm while transiting from place to place. Last, I really like that it's a handsome piece of luggage that would not look out of place if I took it on a business trip with my regular carry on kit of a daypack and 3 day 22" rollaboard bag.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Quote Originally Posted by markcoblin View Post
    Thanks for sharing this kind of knowledge.
    Hmmm. This looks like an ad in his signature?

Online Promo Codes, Discount Codes & Coupons 2019 | Exporthub

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast