Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What about a golf club carrier

I have carried on as many as 5 three piece rods, and subsequently 5 four piece rods as over the years I have pared down to all 4 piece rods. I take the rods out of their hard tubes but leave their cloth covers on, and then I rubberband them all together with a bathroom face wash cloth wrapped around each end trying to keep the stripper guides on the inside. The total bundle of four piece rods is +/- 32" long and 4/5 inches in diameter and while I am often asked what I have in my hand and I tell them fly rods, I have always had a pleasant response. I'm just careful where and how I place them in the overhead compartment, and luckily have never had any damage in many years of carrying my rods like this.

Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and Shenandoah Rivers, Exploring NY and PNW rivers

Quote Originally Posted by First Light View Post
    I have carried on as many as 5 three piece rods, and subsequently 5 four piece rods as over the years I have pared down to all 4 piece rods. I take the rods out of their hard tubes but leave their cloth covers on, and then I rubber band them all together with a bathroom face wash cloth wrapped around each end trying to keep the stripper guides on the inside. The total bundle of four piece rods is +/- 32" long and 4/5 inches in diameter and while I am often asked what I have in my hand and I tell them fly rods, I have always had a pleasant response. I'm just careful where and how I place them in the overhead compartment, and luckily have never had any damage in many years of carrying my rods like this.
    Wait, just so I'm clear, you carry on and place in the aircraft overhead 5 fly rods, just in rod socks, with washcloths wrapped around each end of the bundle, rubber bands around the washcloth on each end. No hard case around the rod bundle. No soft sided case around the rod bundle. Did I get that right? Not trying to be snarky or anything, just trying to understand your set up. Thanks.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Quote Originally Posted by City Rat View Post
    Wait, just so I'm clear, you carry on and place in the aircraft overhead 5 fly rods, just in rod socks, with washcloths wrapped around each end of the bundle, rubber bands around the washcloth on each end. No hard case around the rod bundle. No soft sided case around the rod bundle. Did I get that right? Not trying to be snarky or anything, just trying to understand your set up. Thanks.
    Yup, exactly right & been doing it for years when I am on a big trip & need back up rods - I carrry the rods in their rod socks only. Obviously I don't put the rods in the overhead when it is empty - I wait until it is full and then put the rod bundle on top of everything & have never had a problem.

When I am only taking 2 rods I put them in a travel tube. I have a ton of different size travel rod tubes but initially had problems trying to carry a 4 or 5 rod size tube onboard with me, when about 25 years ago a gate attendant suggested just carrying the rods alone w/o tube, and it has worked like a charm ever since.

I often fish in third world countries where you don't find nice boats that are ff'g friendly, so when I go to those countries I take a few of Dan Blanton's Rigged N Ready rod cases to protect the rods when I am out on the water.

4. Default Re: What about a golf club carrier

Just put your four piece rods in a violin/viola looking/sized case...and say you left your Strad at home but these are my fly rod Strads in my violin/viola case...I would never trust placing naked rods in full overhead at least Chicago/Indianapolis to Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Key West, Nassau Cabo...always someone who presses a 40 lb roller into a full overhead...and todays ultra lite thin walled wonder sticks cannot take a hit from a #18 Adams let alone madam's 40 lb roller or Junior's Disney stash...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123