US Trout/Freshwater Destinations Mid January?

haziz

Reaction score
What are the recommended Trout and freshwater destinations in mid January? I am quite OK with chilly weather at that time but am thinking of warmer weather than New England, where I live.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jayr

Reaction score
That’s a very broad question.

One place to look at are tail waters below most dams. Generally speaking, they are better to fish than most freestones in colder weather months.

el jefe

Reaction score
I second Jayr's suggestion. You might look out West for such a tailwater. The weather out here can be cold, too, but it's a different kind of cold than New England. If you get sunshine, which except for snowstorms you'll get in the West, even a 30* day can be quite pleasant to fish, assuming you are appropriately attired.

redietz

Reaction score
Alternatively, limestone spring creeks, such as those found in PA's Cumberland Valley, stay at a near constant temperature year round, and can be excellent fishing in mid-winter.

ryc72

Reaction score
How about the south? North Carolina? North Georgia? Tennessee? Great places to fish for trout in the winter. Mornings can be pretty chilly but usually warms up really nicely in the afternoon.

dillon

Reaction score
We have winter trout fishing in Oregon and winter steelhead up and down the west coast. However, I wouldn't drive more than a couple hours to do it, let alone, fly across the country. On the other hand a fishing trip could be combined with skiing or snowboarding.

How about New Zealand that time of year? I guess it depends on how bad you want to go fishing and how much to pay for it. Personally, I've never spent a lot to go fishing...
For me, January is for fishing related activities, not necessarily wetting a line...

JoJer

Reaction score
Riggins Idaho, the states' "Banana Belt" is almost always 10+ degrees warmer than the rest of the state. Google the fishery.