FALL Bass

Justice12

Reaction score
Ideas for some flies for largemouth on small lake? Do you always use floating line, thanks, looking for flies

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I use floating and sinking lines. I find it much easier to cast the floating line, but at some places on the pond that I usually fish the bass are deeper than the floating line will allow, so in those areas I grit my teeth and use the sinker. I have had most success with woolly buggers, so I usually start out with those. I am not sure that any particular color is better. I have also tried Clousers and crayfish patterns and hoppers and poppers and divers and all sorts of other things, but I always seem to go back to the woolly bugger.

dennyk

Reaction score
I've been having some fun with a sink tip line, short leader 5' or so and a floating slider fished sub surface. Most of the times you can see the take in between strips when the fly starts to rise. The action of the fly fished in this manner is outstanding.

I don't have an exact picture of the bug, but is like the one pictured below only with the head reversed.

Denny

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I normally used floating lines for LM bass, and the fishing takes a dive if I attempt to fish the same in fall compared to rest of year. Bass will suspend on the weed edge a little deeper now. Getting the fly down is not a terrible idea IMO. I use a lot of leech patterns (bunny strips) during fall with some success. Weighted fly or use a sink tip line or sinking leader. Fishing anywhere near the top has been pretty futile for me during fall, especially after a few real cold fronts move through.