What's The Worst Weather You've Fished In?

chi.fly.guy

Reaction score
Just was looking for a spot for everyone to swap stories about the worst weather they fished in. I know we all have them!

I almost had one but fortunately, we called the trip off about 9 hours before we were going to head out. It ended up the rivers and streams we were going to fish were so blown out, they were still recovering 4 weeks later when we rescheduled the trip. Entire large round hay bails were washed down the rivers a good 10-12 miles, homes were knocked from their foundations, roads were blown out and bridges were closed.

It was really kind of eerie to see the area 4 weeks later with trash and hay bails stuck in trees, cars on their sides, and the leaves on the trees were brown from the mud in the water that stuck to them.

bumble54

Reaction score
I took a beginner boat fishing to teach him the basics, he'd fished from the shore but had never been in a boat before. The sky grew darker and darker, it was ominous, we headed for shore and tied up shortly before the storm hit. We were actually inside the storm, thunder and lightening all around, the smell of sulphur filled in the air. Even sheltering under an overhanging bank did little to protect us from the ferocity of the rain, never before or since have I experienced rain like it. When the storm had finally passed we discovered that the boat was almost under water, it took the two of us almost an hour to bail it out. I dread to think how things would have turned out if we had stayed out on the lake, carbon rods and lightning don't mix, we would probably have sunk the boat as well. On the plus side I caught a 4lb wild Brown trout moments before the storm hit, I always wondered if that fishes capture and the impending storm were coincidental?. We caught nothing bar that brownie before the storm but had a reasonable return after, boating 5 rainbows in quick succession before we called it a day.

flytie09

Reaction score
Fished a white out in Altmar, NY a couple years ago. Or tried to.

There was already 18" of snow on the ground the previous day. While driving from my parents to the LFZ in Altmar.....I could see ominous dark clouds some 10 miles away and I was heading straight into them. I'm from upstate NY...how bad could it possibly be?

Well....never had I experienced a white out from lake effect snow like this before. I believe it snowed a foot an hour (or so it seemed). I couldn't see 2 feet in front of my car. It took over an hour to drive those 10 miles once I hit the storm. There was only a narrow one way path on the road. I made it to town...but quickly realized I was stuck. I made a break for the gas station and waited for the plow to come through. I think it took 2 hours before the plow finally came through. I stayed behind the plow driving with my head out the window for those 10 miles back where I came. Keeping the tail lights of the truck in front of me in view the entire time.

And like a light switch....once clear of the lake effect band, it was calm and the nightmare was behind me.

Scary stuff.

ft09

chechem

Reaction score
Was fishing from a boat in Belize and watched an approaching squall. A water spout dropped down a quarter mile east of us, so I looked upward to see which direction it was heading. The spout's tail reached upward and bent toward us. I was looking at a Wizard of Oz tornado directly overhead. A large black, donut-shaped cloud was directly overhead. I started the motor and we went 1/2 mile south, then watched it cross a small island, whipping the island with 60-70 mph winds. Wow. People south of us thought we were in it!

Otherwise, I fished in a Yellowstone NP snowstorm along the Gibbon River. As the snow accumulated to 2-3" I suddenly realized I might not be able to get my car back to the campsite. I found the car buried, but the roads were okay. My tent was buried too, and I cleared it. But during the night snow was followed by freezing rain, and my tent was crushed to 2'. It was a long night. My car doors were frozen shut. Yikes. But hey, the fish were really snapping.

desmobob

Reaction score
I had planned an opening-day (01April) trip to the West Branch Ausable in NY several years back. I arrived at the river after a night of single-digit temperatures. The water had patches of slush flowing on the top and I couldn't keep a fly in the water. The guides were freezing up after every few casts.

I kept at it for a while to justify the two-hour drive to get there, but it was futile. I did make the front page of the Plattsburgh paper, though. I was probably the only fool on the river that morning.

Tight lines,
Bob

Attachments

wthorpe

Reaction score
Last day of fishing in last few days of Oct. 2017. Quake Lake in Madison Valley, MT. Forecast cloudy, thirties. Reality, cloudy, twenties, windy. Ice in the guides. One fish, a 12" cutt oddly enough. I later figured out the wind chill was 17 F.

Fishing in snow or other bad weather seems perversely appealing until you do it a few times, and, well after that ........

desmobob

Reaction score
The winter steelheaders that fish the Great Lakes tributaries are often on the river at the same time I'm standing on a frozen lake, ice fishing. Every winter, when I get jonesin' about fly fishing, I daydream about heading out to the Salmon River for steelhead. Then I step outside the house and come to my senses. ;-)

Tight lines,
Bob

brownbass

Reaction score
Rain, sleet, snow, temps dropping, unable to light a fire. The four of us took shelter in our tent with nothing to eat but a box of frozen Tootsie Rolls, 144 of the frozen little *******s. We were teenagers so we didn't want to to give up and drive home. So we got in a tootsie roll fight with each of us taking a corner and doing our best to hide behind our sleeping bags while winging a roll at one of the other guys. We stuck around till noon the next day and someone caught a 3 or 4-inch sculpin. We called it quits and stopped at The Diamonds on I-44. We ordered a ton of food while other customers ask how we got all the cuts on our hands, arms, and faces. They thought the Tootsie Roll fight was hilarious. We had a few other trips with the weather turning on us but that one memory stuck.

Bill

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
At 15 I took a class deep sea trip in November on a 65' party boat on the pacific, all the other captains stayed in port that day due to gail warnings. Weather really went to **** mid morning, deteriorating from there. We got fish, but by noon we were really in the _____. Cold heavy driving rain, the biggest seas I'd ever seen to that point in my life, most of passengers were either sea sick or getting sick from being around those who were sea sick. On the long slow run home we had green water breaking over the bow, decks awash, we'd go down into a trough and the world would disappear, the next moment we'd be breaching the crest of the next wave all the while holding on to anything we could get our hands around for dear life. frankly I was to fricken' scared to get sick and honestly, I think the capt. was well past concerned too. I think he knew he'd screwed up royally. Obvisouly we made it back, his boss, the charter operaters look when we came staggering off the boat soaked, frozen and green to the gills told the tale.

The coldest I ever was, was the first year that one of the best known outdoor and fishing industry soft goods companies, decided to make a short casting jacket. I got to be just one of the guinea pigs who tested out their layering system with their new jacket. In a wet sideways snow storm on a steelhead river I found out that the jacket was a complete failure.

This isn't a bad weather story, but a funny one to some. Back when it was neoprene chest waders or nothing, I got ahead of my fishing partner at days end on the walk back along a road side to our rig. It was deep winter, evening and freezing. I was tired so while I was waiting for him to catch up, I leaned up against the steel railing along a bridge. After a couple of moments I felt the burn of cold coming through my capilene long johns, when I went to pull away I found out that my wet waders from my butt down to my upper thigh had frozen to the metal. When my buddy got done laughing his butt off, we tried to come up with a quick fix, so he did what only a good friend would do.....saved the waders and I headed back down to the river for a quick rinse.

I and I'm sure thousands of other guys have stories about their trials at Pyramid Lake NV. in winter. Any fluid leaking from any orifice frozen, pelted by driven coarse and fine sand, being able to hold a 10 wt type 4 shooting head up in the wind and have it fully extend like a flag waving in the wind. Mind numbing cold at times.

Like to say I'm smart enough to avoid situations like that, but on this past Saturday morning, just after sun up I was sitting in a float tube in an icy lake, in freezing temps, hoovering right below the 10,000 foot elevation mark. The fact that we had this great little body of water all to ourselves should've raised some concern. But then I told myself, if my partner, a woman in her sixties, a right handed caster who is two and a half weeks into a broken right arm ( Ulna ), has the grit to be casting and stripping streamers with a grimace one momment and a smile the next, then maybe all of those male / testosterone suppliment / " get a grip men " commercials on the tube are right.

Your turn......Dave

tcorfey

Reaction score
My two fondest memories of fishing in "weather".

I was about 13 or 14 years old fishing in my leaky, wooden row boat after school and it was just getting dark. Snow was coming down in big flakes and it was on, I was catching and releasing rainbows one after the other using a streamer. My high top cons were soaked and my feet and hands were numb but I had a huge smile on my face! My mom was not happy with me being out in the boat after dark in a snow storm but, man did I have fun.

Fast forward to being in my Forty's and standing in the middle of Hat creek just after opening day in April. The water just over my waist, snow and sleet coming down so I can barely see to tie on the fly. I remember stopping and looking up for a minute and looking around and thinking this is awesome and it sure beats the heck out of my best day at work!

Regards,

Tim C.

al_a

Reaction score
I got a million stories of bad weather...

Early April, Yellowstone River in Paradise Valley. Two of us floating the river in a raft. Temperature in the 30s. Wind picks up, blowing directly upstream. Blows harder. Gets up to 40-50 mph. Then the snow starts. You simply couldn't look forward into the wind, because the snow was blowing right into your face and eyes and you couldn't see. We had to take turns rowing, as hard as we could, to make any headway against the wind. The guy in front would keep glancing forward to make sure we weren't going to run into anything, and guided the guy rowing, who would have two inches of snow packed onto his back and neck even as he rowed. We did that for four miles before reaching the take-out...and just as we reached it the snow stopped.

Hottest place I've ever been was this summer, floating the Salmon River in Idaho. We were in the middle of the lower canyon, headed for the Snake River, on the hottest two days of the year (and for all I know, record heat). We heard when we finished the trip that the actual temperature got up to 114 degrees both those days in Lewiston. The lower Salmon River Canyon is all BLACK rock, and that sun beating down on those bare rocks all day made the lower canyon an oven. If a breeze blew, it was just a convection oven. We stopped often and jumped in the river, and drank a LOT of water. But setting up camp in the evening was really bad, too, because there was simply no place to get away from the heat. We'd quickly set up camp, then spend the rest of the evening until well after dark just sitting in the river and drinking beer. I honestly think that if the river hadn't been there to get into we could have died of heat stroke.

Worst storm...I was fishing a local Missouri stream, and there was a big storm coming, but the fishing was terrific and I wasn't ready to quit. Finally the lightning got close, and I paddled back to the car and jumped in. I stopped at the top of the ridge to watch the storm come in, then drove into town. Just as I got to town, the storm hit. I pulled in under a gas station awning, and immediately the awning blew away! Tree limbs were hitting the car. The canoe almost launched itself off the top. It was raining so hard I couldn't see anything, which was just as well. As it turned out, a tornado passed within a quarter mile of me, killing several people.

Worst rain...on (thankfully) the last day of a three day float trip on a river in southern Missouri that flows southward (and that turned out to be important). Big rainstorm started building to the south, downstream. When it hit us, it was honestly raining so hard you couldn't see 20 feet. We kept fishing for a while, and surprisingly the smallmouth were still active. But it just kept raining, and never slacked off for a good hour. By the time it slowed and we could see, we began to notice that all the little ravines were simply gushing water into the stream. Lots and lots of water. The river was rising slowly at first, but we knew that the rain was going on northward, up the river, and there would be a lot more water coming down, so we started paddling hard to get to the take-out. The river was rising faster and getting muddy. By the time we made it to the take-out, it had risen about three feet. We pulled the canoe up onto the concrete boat ramp, with about half of it still in the water, and ran over to our vehicle about 150 feet away, jumped in, and drove it to the ramp...and by the time we got there the canoe was starting to float away. By the time we got it loaded, water was beginning to run across the parking lot, a good 8 feet above normal river level. We barely made it out of the parking lot and onto the hill leading out of the river valley!

One more flood story...this happened back when I was still a teenager. A buddy and I were floating one day; I'd left my car at the take-out, and we'd put in with his vehicle, an International Scout that he'd just gotten and was inordinately proud of. We left his Scout on the gravel bar at the put-in, about three feet above the river level. It came a big rain in the middle of the float, and soon the river was rising. We were floating over water willow beds that would usually be out of the water. We started paddling to the take-out. I wasn't worried about my vehicle, which was in a parking lot a good 20 feet higher than normal river level, but I WAS worried about his Scout. For some reason he never thought about it, and I decided not to mention it...we'd find out the bad news soon enough, and we were paddling to the take-out as quickly as we could anyway, which was pretty quick, since the river had risen several feet. We loaded up, jumped in my car, and took off for the put-in.

You approached it from a higher bench, where you could look down as see the gravel bar, and hopefully his Scout. But when we got there, all we could see was water everywhere--the river had now come up 6 feet or more. No Scout. Then we looked over to the side, where there was a big shed that a gravel dredging company used, and there was his Scout. It turned out that the employees at the gravel company had hooked up a piece of their heavy equipment to the vehicle and dragged it up out of harm's way.

weiliwen

Reaction score
Two Januarys ago at the season opener in Wisconsin. In town, the temperature was 18 degrees, but as we descended into the valley of the stream we wanted to fish, the thermometer got to zero. Nonetheless, my buddy and I started fishing. Shelf ice on all the streams, so you had to stand back to cast. I started out using a thread furled leader. Each time I took it out of the water, it would freeze instantly into a long straight piece. Think of having a broomstick where your leader should be - not the best casting experience! We fished like this for an hour, when my buddy said to me, "Let's go into town and get a cup of coffee." Best advice I ever heard!

ia_trouter

Reaction score
My worst weather fishing stories always involved a boat, rain, wind and whitecaps, wondering if I was going to die. I cherry pick my trout fishing days. I'm good to about 20F and I'm not playing in sleet or cold weather rain because I don't have to.

Monello

Reaction score
A few years back I took a seasonal job in Yellowstone NP. I got there in mid May. Fishing on Lewis lake didn't open up for a few weeks. I was chomping at the bit to wet a line.

Opening day comes and it had snowed all night. My boat was full of snow. It never stopped snowing. But I wasn't going to be denied. I fished 5 1/2 hours in the blowing snow. I got 8 fish for my efforts. At some point I lost feeling in my fingers. I stayed fairly close to the edges but still managed to catch fish. At some point you get past the cold, or at least that's what I remember from that day. PS, I'd do it all over again if I get the chance.

FWIW, that summer I fished 24 times and caught 89 fish. I even got a few grayling, which were a bonus catch.

385629_442722812423516_436925936_n.jpg

576888_442595932436204_351947049_n.jpg

575222_442608285768302_2102881568_n.jpg

550767_442723145756816_348789616_n.jpg

chechem

Reaction score
A few years back I took a seasonal job in Yellowstone NP. I got there in mid May. Fishing on Lewis lake didn't open up for a few weeks. I was chomping at the bit to wet a line.

Opening day comes and it had snowed all night. My boat was full of snow. It never stopped snowing. But I wasn't going to be denied. I fished 5 1/2 hours in the blowing snow. I got 8 fish for my efforts. At some point I lost feeling in my fingers. I stayed fairly close to the edges but still managed to catch fish. At some point you get past the cold, or at least that's what I remember from that day. PS, I'd do it all over again if I get the chance.

FWIW, that summer I fished 24 times and caught 89 fish. I even got a few grayling, which were a bonus catch.
I love fishing YNP, but never got to Lewis Lake. I stay in West Yellowstone most of the summer, and usually am fishing along the Firehole and Madison during May-June, and Lamar during late summer. I used to fish Yellowstone Lake, but that was before the Lake Trout took over. Look forward to recovery of the cutts there.

Thanks for the pics. My buddy is fishing the Madison this week, and his pics may look the same! :D

bonefish41

Reaction score
I think it's upcoming...Thursday and Friday Steel on the Pere Marquette...

I

ikankecil

I was on a two fishing trips when a hurricane showed up, one in Baja and one in the Bahamas. Both were with (different) people that I'd fished with for years so we made the best of it. Category 3 in Baja, Cat 2 in Abaco, lots of rain/wind, fantastic fishing right up until impact and then it was unfishable after the event. Great memories though.

On yet another trip a friend and I were stuck on Little Water Caye in Belize for over a week waiting for the wind/seas to die down enough for our return boat ride to Placencia. the fish on the lee of the island were still chewing though and there was plenty of Belikin so all was good. We did end up eating a fair bit of fish that week as all else had run out.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I moved this to general discussion because it's a better fit here :)

I try not to do extreme weather any more but living here it is very hard. Generally I may be fishing in what would be considered extreme weather elsewhere but I have my limits. After the frostbite situation a few years ago I became more selective and aware of lasting ramifications of poor judgement. It was fun but the effects lasted for months.