Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Default Fly Fishing Boise, ID Area, Early June?

I will be in the Boise, ID area in early June for non fishing reasons, but can stay an extra couple of days before or after my trip. Any suggestions for fly fishing (preferably trout) in the Boise and surrounding areas.

Any suggestions regarding guides, angler stores, and miscellaneous information? Is most of the fishing in that are by wading or by boat?

Thanks.

Default Re: Fly Fishing Boise, ID Area, Early June?

I don't usually reply to these threads, but would it be worth a two hour drive to see one of the most beautiful public spring creeks on the planet?

If so, Silver Creek on the Nature Conservancy is a must see for a trout angler. You might even hit the Brown Drake hatch. However, be warned Silver Creek is known as the trout anglers' graduate school...

There's a couple other good streams closer, but although no secret, I won't mention them online. Feel free to pm me though...

3. Likes mcnerney, haziz liked this post
    Blog Entries

Send a pm to Mike (aka CutThroat Leaders) he lives there and can point you in the right direction,
    Larry

5. Likes dillon, haziz liked this post

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

7. Likes Idahoflyfishmn, haziz liked this post

What JoJer said. Mike is a 'font' of knowledge on local conditions. June is an 'iffy' month, depending on winter snow pack and run-off. Who knows? The Boise river may be great, may be too high to wade. The South Fork of the Boise is often great for floating, but too high to wade. Other local rivers the same. Call Mike, at Northwest School of Fly Fishing. He will steer you to the right 'spot'.

JTH

9. Likes haziz liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    I don't usually reply to these threads, but would it be worth a two hour drive to see one of the most beautiful public spring creeks on the planet?

If so, Silver Creek on the Nature Conservancy is a must see for a trout angler. You might even hit the Brown Drake hatch. However, be warned Silver Creek is known as the trout anglers' graduate school...

There's a couple other good streams closer, but although no secret, I won't mention them online. Feel free to pm me though...
    Thanks for suggesting Silver Creek! I spent 4 1/2 days fishing there with great results. I fished both before and after my scheduled non-fishing portion of the trip. Beautiful location, and great fishing. Admittedly hiring a guide for some of those days helped a great deal.

Thanks again for making this a great trip

11. Likes cpiercem, MarsB liked this post

Great! Good to hear it fished well. What hatches were occurring?

13. Likes haziz liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    Great! Good to hear it fished well. What hatches were occurring?
    The Brown Drakes were MIA at the time. No very prominent hatches either, although there were some PMDs, Callibaetis, and a smattering of Baetis. I can't remember most of the flies used, I also fished some nymphs and wet flies. It was still quite productive.