Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banff Advice

1. Default Re: Banff Advice

Call me an idiot but fishing sucks there in running water. BNP is lame. I can catch fish anywhere but that place was a barren hole. Very few fish caught and little ones. I can only surmise due to granite bottom streams there is not as much fish food. Riparian vegetation was poor too...granite. That is what makes the streams there look aqua. We have the same issue on the west side of the sierras vs the east side. Granite stream bottom is death. You have to go to Fernie or the Bow (fishing easy there) or get local knowledge which is not forthcoming on this forum.

Default Re: Banff Advice

I am about 40 minutes from Banff, I fish outside of Banff as its tough fishing in the parks there. As we corresponded in PM I would look outside of Banff. The biggest problem is that there is so many water bodies in that area that you really need to narrow down what you want to fish for and what size of fish.

Fernie is too far from where you are going to be and there is way better fishing closer to Calgary than out to Fernie.

Depending on snow that we get you might still be in run-off season in early July. So far the winter has been good. I'll head out to Banff next weekend and I can post some photos if you want. I would check out Upper and Lower Kananaskis Lakes, the Bow river is a lifetime river to fish IMO and you should really try and get on the bow downstream of Calgary even if its late runoff you will catch a ton of fish with a good guide. I know a few I can recommend for that, as that area of the Bow has something like 2500 trout per mile for 7 Miles down from policeman flats.

Anyways if you have more questions just ask. I am becoming more active on this forum again.

Here is some more info

Blue Ribbon Bow: Fishing For Trout in the City
    Last edited by 1move; 11-28-2018 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Call me an idiot but fishing sucks there in running water. BNP is lame. I can catch fish anywhere but that place was a barren hole. Very few fish caught and little ones. I can only surmise due to granite bottom streams there is not as much fish food. Riparian vegetation was poor too...granite. That is what makes the streams there look aqua. We have the same issue on the west side of the sierras vs the east side. Granite stream bottom is death. You have to go to Fernie or the Bow (fishing easy there) or get local knowledge which is not forthcoming on this forum.
    Alright well I wont call you an Idiot but the best fishing is in the running water in and around that area. They are glacial fed waters hence the reason why the water is so blue/aqua. Fernie is a long stretch for good fishing. There are plenty of places much closer that will have better fishing.

Any updates?
    I am planning to head up to Banff this coming summer.

Quote Originally Posted by 1move View Post
    Fernie is too far from where you are going to be and there is way better fishing closer to Calgary than out to Fernie.
    Wait, huh? My understanding is Elk and the surrounding rivers are incredible cutty dry fly fishing. And no I'm not hotspotting, Fernie/Elk is a well know spot. It's better closer to Calgary? This post goes against everything I thought I knew about fishing up there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12