Far East - Taimen

chief17

Reaction score
Swinging for Taimen in Mongolia/Russia is a dream trip for me. Has anybody ever gone? About how much did it set you back?

Meadowlark

Reaction score
When I saw the thread title I was hoping it was a report.

I haven't gone yet but want to before I get too old to enjoy it, LOL. Hopefully someone who has gone will help us both.

chief17

Reaction score
I've only gone in my mind haha. The unfortunately reality is that this is probably one of those never gonna happen trips, but I'd like to hear from others. Maybe I'd have to save for the next decade + to make it happen.

cwb124

Reaction score
I looked into the trip as just a tire kicking exercise. From the United States I estimated you could do it all in for $13k or so. The trip itself is $6500 + tip so make it an even $7,500 which isn't terrible for that sort of trip. But you need to get yourself to Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia which isn't easy and if you want to do it on a reputable airline that will set you back $3500 to $4000. So now you're at $11k. Couple layover nights before and after the trip and some misc expenditures/food, you're looking at around $13k for 8 days of fishing.

weiliwen

Reaction score
Never been, but I have a funny story. Waaay back in 1994, I saw an ad for fishing Mongolia. I had just moved to Guangzhou, China, so figured airfare to Ulaanbaatar would be reasonable. This was a bit before it became a Big Deal. Total price for a week was $1700 not inclusive of air fare but I'd be staying in yurts during the trip). I sent for more information, and got a packet back from some guy, who basically said, First you send me $850, then Colonel Batzorig (I still remember his name and yes, he was supposed to be a colonel in the Mongolian Army) will meet you at the airport. You then give him the other $850, cash, and he'll be your guide for the week.

It seemed way too sketchy to me, so I decided against it.

ddb

Reaction score
The same fish is available in Europe --mainly in the Danube tribs in the old Yugoslavia at a much lower cost and less travel time.

Mladitsa is the name there.

Hucho huchen is the gneric name.

ddb

WoollyBourbon

Reaction score
I'd agree with CWB's assessment above on guide fees. Yellow Dog and Orvis each have options listed around $6,500 +tip. Call it $7,500. Airfare could probably be done a little cheaper, depending on what fare class you're interested in. A base level economy ticket (I used Orlando since that's my home base) through Delta/Korean Air looks like it's about $1,800.

Looking at overnight accommodations in Ulaanbaatar via Booking.com, the high end hotels are ~$150 per night. Can't imagine spending more than $300/day on arrival/departure. For the sake of simplicity, round it to $1,000.

Assuming you don't need any new gear (where's the fun in that??) I'd say it could be done for just over $10k for 8 days fishing/13 days total travel including air time.

-WB

chief17

Reaction score
Well I was in the ballpark. I figured that all in, the total price tag would be around $10k. Definitely would go with Orvis or Yellow Dog to book to help avoid the scams and sketchy situations.

WoollyBourbon

Reaction score
I've never taken a trip through Orvis but my first trip through Yellow Dog is coming up in March. Have to say, they've been really great so far. Answering many questions, making sure we had all the packing lists, connections, etc needed.

I didn't have them book our airfare just because I like messing with all that myself, but I'm told they'll pretty much do everything but cast for you....

ddb

Reaction score
I learned some hard lessons long ago. Good deals on exotic hunts/fishing trips can be a bad deal.

Those delivering the service predictably are going to reserve their best offerings for full paying guests and limit resource outlays for the others.

In third world situations, the real negotiations only begin long after a contract is signed. On-site costs frequently exceed projections -- often by a lot.

ddb

weiliwen

Reaction score
I learned some hard lessons long ago. Good deals on exotic hunts/fishing trips can be a bad deal.

Those delivering the service predictably are going to reserve their best offerings for full paying guests and limit resource outlays for the others.

In third world situations, the real negotiations only begin long after a contract is signed. On-site costs frequently exceed projections -- often by a lot.

ddb
I'd love to hear the stories behind that comment! I bet they're hair-raising.