Trout, Big game, upland - Swap/Share my Madison Cabin & MN hunt/fish for your???

Car7x

Reaction score
Hi All - New here, but I've been around. I have a cabin by Varney, and am also building on my E. Gallatin lot right in Bozeman this year, God and the city willing. Great mulie, antelope, moose and elk country, easy taqs. My boats and raft may be available if you can row and I trust you.

Real simple idea here - I am newly semi retired and have more time than my current group of friends and younger relatives. I am looking to expand my network, and specifically, would like to explore fly fishing, especially spey - where ever the trail leads... and Southern / warm fair chase hunting, especially archery. Hit me up if you want to talk. Been on the Madison 24 years now, and guide/chase smallies, muskies, whitetail, pheasants and turkeys here in MN. Thanks

Craig

kevind62

Reaction score
Re: Trout, Big game, upland - Swap/Share my Madison Cabin & MN hunt/fish for your???

Hello and welcome to the forum! Hoping to get good news from my financial advisor when I get home and be the same very soon. Semi retired and too much time on my hands.

Turkey season opens in AL on 16 March. On the train to Chengdu on Tuesday and should be home Wednesday if I don't miss my flight. I will at least be home for 4 weeks, depending on the news. Could be longer. :D Lots of good gobblers on our place. Tags are over the counter. :)

HUNT0315.jpg

And there's always an abundance of those aggravating pigs destroying everything in their path.

IMG_1184.jpg
600310_10151178562916902_1427326647_n.jpg
IMG_2622.jpg

And an occasional cat. :D
IMG_3108.jpg

Hi All - New here, but I've been around. I have a cabin by Varney, and am also building on my E. Gallatin lot right in Bozeman this year, God and the city willing. Great mulie, antelope, moose and elk country, easy taqs. My boats and raft may be available if you can row and I trust you.

Real simple idea here - I am newly semi retired and have more time than my current group of friends and younger relatives. I am looking to expand my network, and specifically, would like to explore fly fishing, especially spey - where ever the trail leads... and Southern / warm fair chase hunting, especially archery. Hit me up if you want to talk. Been on the Madison 24 years now, and guide/chase smallies, muskies, whitetail, pheasants and turkeys here in MN. Thanks

Craig

Car7x

Reaction score
Re: Trout, Big game, upland - Swap/Share my Madison Cabin & MN hunt/fish for your???

Hi Kevin - Thanks for the outreach. Looks like you got some fun stuff goin' on. Need any help with those toms and pigs?

I'm in region 3, specifically big game zone 330. Elk and deer combo is OTC, pretty much a guaranteed draw.

And, of course, fishing. Though I'm on the Madison, I am thinking about revisiting Land of the Giants again this spring,P1000410(2).jpgwhere this happens. Got about 70 of these in 4 hours last year. All good fishermen, but we could really only fit about 4 guys at once. Crazy.

Anyway, thanks for the get back, and let me know if you want to chat - travel well and safely, happy trails.

PS - I am a recovering financial advisor, and I say do it.

Car7x

Reaction score

Similar tastes in transport units..image.jpg

Car7x

Reaction score

Hey, Thanks, Dillon! Been a lurker forever, but have time now to get serious. Thanks for the welcome, stay in touch!

Craig

Redrock

Reaction score

Welcome. Same here as far as buddies and relatives, but I’m still working most of the time. I can’t help on the hunting as I’ve given it up. If you want to drop over the hill and fish the Beaverhead or the Big Hole, give me a shout. I will be out most of June through the fourth and off and on thereafter until snow season begins. Fair warning, I’ve fished the area most of my life, but I’m just setting up shop, so to speak, at my new place south of Clark Canyon.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum!
If you want to fish Wyoming in the future, let me know, I have a 2016 Clacka Eddy drift boat.

planettrout

Reaction score

Craig
Ha ! I took this photo, from your front porch back in 2004, at the cabin, after dinner with the "Whitefish King"...Wondered where you had gotten off to Craig...

Best,

Tim B. /Planettrout

Car7x

Reaction score

Thanks, Larry! Like those Eddies. Used to have an LP, Bruce Belles gave me my first Clack alongside with all a bunch of other guides in MN. Great guy, always supports the Madison River Foundation with a donated boat. Running a boulder boat lately. I'll be on a little ranch out of Kaycee on their private stretch of the Powder after archery elk 2019, before heading over Lolo to the Clearwater to swing some flies. My dog trainer's been hunting there for years and introduced me, lots of trout. Thanks for the nice welcome, Let's stay in touch!

Car7x

Reaction score

WHHHAAATTT! Howdy hi, Tim - gotta tell Eric! Great pic, buddy. I've got the 2 handed jones now, too. Stay in touch, brother!
Craig

Car7x

Reaction score

Hey Redrock, sounds like a great situation in beautiful country. I've never fished your country; could be I'll look you up after we get the Bozeman shack up and I'm hanging out there more often. Madison is getting played, I've come kind of full circle back to not even wanting the push the boat, just go wade and checking out some swing water makes that even more fun. Thank you for the kind welcome. So many great folks checking in, I feel pretty stupid for not being here before - happy trails!

Redrock

Reaction score

Hey Redrock, sounds like a great situation in beautiful country. I've never fished your country; could be I'll look you up after we get the Bozeman shack up and I'm hanging out there more often. Madison is getting played, I've come kind of full circle back to not even wanting the push the boat, just go wade and checking out some swing water makes that even more fun. Thank you for the kind welcome. So many great folks checking in, I feel pretty stupid for not being here before - happy trails!
If you are “in town” and want a break from dealing with contractors, shoot me a pm. I generally wade, and I avoid crowds. Hence why I settled where I did, Beaverhead craziness excepted.

I stop in Bozeman every once in a while to visit friends. I looked for a couple of years for a place on your new home water. Nice spot and on the right side of the interstate.

Best of luck with your builder. I have a few modest repairs, etc., I would like to make, and it has been pretty hard to get anyone to work up my way.

Car7x

Reaction score

Hi Redrock - yeah, builders are tough. I went with Biggerstaff, they are well established and the in-laws are my neighbors at the lot. Nest time you take the N 19th exit coming W on I 90, if you look straight right over your shoulder about a 1/4 m towards the E. Gallatin/Bridgers, you'll see a nice yellow 2 story farmhouse with a porch, outbuilding, etc. That's their place. My 2 acres lot is on their left. Then 80 yds past us, the river, and then the golf course. Good luck with your project!