Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Trout fishing in VT

Yep, got it.

If the OP is still listening(on occasion);-),
    Many of those streams have the major springtime hatches....from the Battenkill on up the hatches are about three weeks to a month behind PA hatches so a call to the Stowe shop(for hatch info) or a stop into the shop to talk & an occasional purchase helps a lot. From contact with a local here & there, the Kill's hatches have come back from the late 1990's flooding. I've met nice Hendrickson and Sulphur hatches with the Sulphur spinner falls coming out in full force during rainy days...of noteworthy thundershowers..believe it or not... The wildest fishing days I've ever had...with me laughing along the way, both while in VT and in NYS. True the natives don't clog up the river but they are colorful and are strong fish....fwiw.
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
    Bob Shannon, who owns the Fly Rod Shop in Stowe, is a friend of mine. He does a very nice job and provides good fishing reports in season, but Stowe is a long double-haul away from Manchester. There are plenty of good spots to try closer to Manchester in southern VT too. Currently the best guidebook I know of is by Lou Zambello (although a lot of his Vermont info seems to be taken from an earlier book by retired fly shop owner Rhey Plumley). It includes detailed maps with GPS co-ordinates for stream access points.

Flyfisher's Guide to New England: Lou Zambello: 9781940239071: Amazon.com: Books

Bob and Peter Shea also recently updated an older guidebook in which Shea was one of the original collaborators. It probably has the most recent scuttlebutt, but it's a little less comprehensive.

Vermont Trout Streams: A Fly Anglerís Guide to the Best | The Fly Rod Shop
    I attended one of Bob's presentations today at the FlyfishingShow in Marlborough, MA. Real nice guy, and REALLY knowledgeable about fishing for trout. Very inormative presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by jc10 View Post
    I attended one of Bob's presentations today at the FlyfishingShow in Marlborough, MA. Real nice guy, and REALLY knowledgeable about fishing for trout. Very inormative presentation.
    Yes, he has come up with an innovative suspension nymphing rig using Raven floats that he adapted from the guys in NY who centerpin for steelhead on the Lake Ontario tribs. I have tried it -- it does get your nymph down deep when other rigs don't, but it is a b*&[email protected]! to cast. This is his steelhead version; the trout version is similar but lighter:

https://www.flyrodshop.com/wp-conten...loatLeader.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123