Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a way to train your self with fly casting?

Default Re: a way to train your self with fly casting?

Or, you could try the new Redington From practice caster that comes with a real floating fly line designed by Rio. And its a miniature fly rod with a cork grip and everything. You can get it for $35. Worth every penny, since it is fun and practical.

To tell the truth, I basically learned to fly cast so many years ago in Jr. High School pretty much by wasting my class time daydreaming about doing it
    I made a huge leap in my fly casting ability just by imagining what I was doing it in my mind, picturing every movement while I was suppose to be intent on whatever class I was in.
    Not proud about it, but it's the truth

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

3. Likes Jackster, jonf, rubberguy liked this post

I recently purchased the Redington form game rod. I really like it! It's a great tool to practice your double haul and have good form when casting. You can really build muscle memory with it. For $40 you can't go wrong.

sorry for bringing one back from a long nap but if you are using one of the practice rods (the fly-o in my case) if you get a "pop" from the yarn at the end of the backcast, is this a timing issue/not waiting for the rod to load up, abrupt start to the forward cast? Don't always get the "pop or crack" but will start to get it on a somewhat regular basis as I have more yarn out which replicates a longer cast. I was at the ~7' mark of yarn out which equals ~ 30-35' cast per the instruction manual. If I slow my forward stroke down, then the yarn just loses all forward momentum and ends up in a heap.

6. Default Re: a way to train your self with fly casting?

jimp
    Your question reminded me of a video I watched when I first started trying to cast last year. At about 2:30 starts what I think is the answer to your question.
    J
    Fly Fish - Common Casting Problems - MonkeySee

7. Likes Ard, alexs liked this post

Rip,

Visualization works well for quite a few people including me,as does pantomime. And also when I get something exactly right, I try to immediately recapture what it felt like when it all came together.

Cheers,
    Jim
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12