Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide Right...

Default Wide Right...

Caster: Right-Handed

Casting Stroke: 3/4 or slightly more vertical.

Issue: Quite often, I find my casts missing slightly right. As any high-school geometry student will tell you, this is exxaggerated on longer casts due to the law of similar triangles. However, it is compounded by my stance and technique when adding a haul (or double-haul).

Question: Other than simply altering my point-of-aim, which is more or less just compensatory. Is there anything I should adjust with my stance, stroke, grip, or other to draw that fly back to the left? I'd like to fix this mechanically rather than by an unsophisticated adjustment.

Sorry to all you Buffalo Bills Fans for what may be perceived as a veiled reference to the unfortunate Scott Norwood missed fieldgoal at the end of SuperBowl XXV.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wide Right...

I like that you don't want a band aid, but a diagnostic fix. Wish I could help.
    My thought is, film yourself. I suspect your have an inconsistent tip stop.
    With the side arm cast or 3/4, you may not stop the same. An early stop makes it drift to the right. A late stop curves left.
    Film straight on and make a few casts toward a target ring. See if the tip is always in the same place when you stop the stroke. Does it stop high, or low? Drift left or right? This is the reason a cast directly over the shoulder is best for accuracy. I use the side arm cast often, but only when it will help delivery to a tough spot (or doing a huck and duck with streamers). Hope this helps.

Jim

PS, out of curiosity, which foot do you extend forward to cast?
    Ultimately, it's not catching fish that satisfies, but knowing how.

Bigfly

Blog Entries

There could be a few little nuances in your cast that result in you being off your mark, but without seeing them we really can't know. Your best bet would be to try and find a shop and have them look at your cast. They could give you and exact answer instead of a few guesses.

But, could it be that your wrist is loose and when you bring your arm forward and stop it to make your cast, it "wiggles" to the right a bit and then comes back to the left? This would point your rod tip a little to the right of your mark and the slight leftward movement might not be enough to mend the line. So your light would shoot to the right a bit.

Or I'm off the mark(bad pun intended)

Ant

What's a Bills fan? I've never met one.

Kidding aside, it may be that titling your casting plane away from vertical may reduce the "slice" you're experiencing, but keep in mind that you're likely just changing the direction of the slice. Instead of going wide right, you'll be shortening your cast as "wide right" becomes "surface short".

What's most likely happening, is that you're slightly opening your wrist right before the "stop" in your cast. Focus on not doing so and you should straighten out the problem. (but remember how to do it because a curve cast can come in extremely handy in some situations)
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

I agree with Cliff... too much drift

You also might want to point with a finger where you want the fly to go.
    With a light rod, you can keep your index finger on top of the grip, with heavier use your thumb.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
    I like that you don't want a band aid, but a diagnostic fix. Wish I could help.
    My thought is, film yourself. I suspect your have an inconsistent tip stop.
    With the side arm cast or 3/4, you may not stop the same. An early stop makes it drift to the right. A late stop curves left.
    Film straight on and make a few casts toward a target ring. See if the tip is always in the same place when you stop the stroke. Does it stop high, or low? Drift left or right? This is the reason a cast directly over the shoulder is best for accuracy. I use the side arm cast often, but only when it will help delivery to a tough spot (or doing a huck and duck with streamers). Hope this helps.

Jim

PS, out of curiosity, which foot do you extend forward to cast?
    Left, especially when adding the haul. I am working on squaring up a little more on the forecast and locking down the stops on the back and forward strokes.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    What's a Bills fan? I've never met one.

Kidding aside, it may be that titling your casting plane away from vertical may reduce the "slice" you're experiencing, but keep in mind that you're likely just changing the direction of the slice. Instead of going wide right, you'll be shortening your cast as "wide right" becomes "surface short".

What's most likely happening, is that you're slightly opening your wrist right before the "stop" in your cast. Focus on not doing so and you should straighten out the problem. (but remember how to do it because a curve cast can come in extremely handy in some situations)
    I think the wrist might be onto something too. Subconsciously, I think I start rolling my grip over to compensate. When a cast forward, the natural position of my hand keeps coming through in the same spot. Hence the wrist stays more "open." I'm going to push my grip the other way and see if that helps bring my rod tip a little further through on the cast.

I'm no expert, in fact I'm still a novice, but here is what is helping me out tremendously. When I'm practising and I notice something not right in the cast, I stop and try to make my cast do what it just did intentionally, that way I know what movements my arm and wrist are doing. If I cast to left accidentally, I try to do it on purpose ect... Also in practising, turn and look at what your line is doing, it might seem awkward at first but it can tell you a lot about what you're doing wrong and how to fix it. How much do you false cast when casting? maybe that could be a cause for concern, I'm statrting to believe more than four is not neccessary unles making really long casts. Make a staight line with your rod tip in your mind and try to follow it with your actual cast and see what happens.hope this helps.
    After getting up at 5.00am every morning for work , what makes a man get up at 4.00am on saturdays? must be SOMETHING in the water, huh? Let,s go fishing!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by troutfishr View Post
    How much do you false cast when casting? maybe that could be a cause for concern, I'm statrting to believe more than four is not neccessary unles making really long casts.
    Try on back cast and one foward cast while practicing. Shooting line in both
    directions can get your line on target quickly with a minimum amount of casts.

I don't want to hazard a guess at the original post...Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by troutfishr View Post
    I'm no expert, in fact I'm still a novice, but here is what is helping me out tremendously. When I'm practising and I notice something not right in the cast, I stop and try to make my cast do what it just did intentionally, that way I know what movements my arm and wrist are doing. If I cast to left accidentally, I try to do it on purpose ect... Also in practising, turn and look at what your line is doing, it might seem awkward at first but it can tell you a lot about what you're doing wrong and how to fix it. How much do you false cast when casting? maybe that could be a cause for concern, I'm statrting to believe more than four is not neccessary unles making really long casts. Make a staight line with your rod tip in your mind and try to follow it with your actual cast and see what happens.hope this helps.
    Minimal false casting unless I am drying my fly...pick it up put it down 0 false casts preferrable, 2 allowable. I'm talking about a 6"-12" miss at 35 feet becoming 3 feet at 70 feet when shooting line with a haul (1 out of every 3 casts). I think I am punching it too hard on the forecast and my mechanics are breaking down, including body and wrist position as mentioned previously.

Hi ddombos2,

Lets assume you cast is basically sound. If you are getting repeatable results then use it to your advantage. I assume you are using an open stance with your left foot forward for a right hander. I suggest you move your front foot slightly to the right. This should turn your shoulders slightly to the right and this should move you cast on target.

Another thing to try is to make the back cast canted like you do but on your delivery make it over head or more vertical than your back cast. Experiment and let us know if anything worked.

Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast