Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taming The Wind

Blog Entries

Default Taming The Wind

Well I just received a new DVD in the mail on casting in the wind. It is titled " Taming the Wind" with Prescott Smith. after watching the video a couple times I headed out to the back yard to give this new technique a shot. I was able to get it down pretty quickly and for see myself teaching it to my clients this guiding season. Here in Wyoming we get wind pretty much every afternoon. Clients who were doing fine in the morning have a lot of trouble after lunch battling the wind.

I am anxious myself to put this new technique into practice during my June Tarpon trip with my Dad. Our last to years have had very favorable conditions, but three years ago we were faced with brutal wind. I look forward to being able to enjoy my fishing regardless of the wind. I've also sent this DVD to my Dad as a birthday present. He suffers from the wind a great deal.

If fishing windy conditions plagues your casting at all I recommend you checkout this DVD. You can view a preview in this Orvis Podcast
    Orvis Podcasts - Casting into the Wind
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Blog Entries

Default Re: Taming The Wind

Thanks for the link Davo....I'll have a look...should be useful here...to tame the Mistral

Blog Entries

Jbbfly

Though the wind really plagues saltwater fly casters it is a problem form all at onetime or another. Prescott Smith has developed a very easy casting technique for beating the wind in any situation. Any technique that allows you to cast from the front deck of a moving flats boat into the wind is worth learning.
    Davo

Thanks for the link. Here in Nevada we're always battling the wind and I could use as much help as possible

Justin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by simmons_j_m View Post
    Thanks for the link. Here in Nevada we're always battling the wind and I could use as much help as possible

Justin
    Your welcome Simmons_j_m. Just for reference here is where I picked up cmy copy of TAMING THE WIND: PRESCOTT SMITH REVEALS HIS SECRETS & NEW TECHNIQUES FOR CASTING INTO THE WIND

They processed my order quickly and it arrived in 4 days which is rare here in WY. They did ship priority mail.
    Davo

Hi Davo,

Thanks for sharing the Prescott Smith technique. It is somewhat like a Belgium cast but the haul makes a big difference. Of course Smith makes it look so easy.

Frank

Blog Entries

Hi Frank

Glad to share the link. Yes Prescott makes it look easy. I played a little in the backyard yesterday and had it a couple times. Think with a bit of practice it won't be hard. Tougher for longtime fly anglers than beginners I think. Too much to unlearn, working against muscle memory is the way Prescott put it. The true test will be teaching it to my Dad.
    Davo

Blog Entries

Davo: Thanks for sharing! I went ahead and order the DVD as I'm always having to deal with wind here in SE Wyoming so this should prove to be real useful.

Larry

Blog Entries

Hi Larry
    It is not a long video but it is very instructional. Also has a review section to go over the key points. I'm sure you'll enjoy watching as well as using. Mine came in only 4 days so hopefully you'll be practicing by the weekend!!
    Davo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Hi Larry
    It is not a long video but it is very instructional. Also has a review section to go over the key points. I'm sure you'll enjoy watching as well as using. Mine came in only 4 days so hopefully you'll be practicing by the weekend!!
    Davo: Thanks again! I can't wait to see it, as you know we have some hilacious winds here in the spring, the timing on this is perfect!

Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast