new to fly fishing questions about casting.

xjguy07

Reaction score
i have only really gone fly fising about 3 times and after the first i went out and bought my own rod, a orvis streamline 8.5 foot mid flex 5wt. i am useing a white river dc 2 reel. i have questions about casting. i pratice in my back yard everynight for about 20 min at casting and was wondering if about 40 feet is a good casting distance? i got this by throwing out a long cast dropping the rod and paceing off 41 steps and my shoe is about 12 inches long and i'd figre drop a foot for any long steps or anything like that. so what do you guys think am i doing good? i have a double taper line and no leader when i pratice.

MikeLove

Reaction score
Depending on the water 40 foot can be plenty..Get a leader on your line and practice with a small piece of yarn tied to the end of it. Learn a nice presentaton of the leader tip to the water. Good luck and try to find some water, it loads the rod better than grass...

Joni

Reaction score
And remember, when fishing a river, you want to start at maybe 5ft in front of you and then work your way out. This way you won't scare the fish in front of you and be able to cover more water. More water means more fish.

xjguy07

Reaction score
i have a question about presentation. right now i have only about 5 feet of leader because as i was first getting used to casting i liked not haveing the screweyness of a longer leader but now that i am getting used to it i notice that when my fly hits the water it sometimes does a little ripple effect like a small rock being thrown in. will a longer leader help elimate this and get a better presentation or is it somthing wrong with my cast.

BruceN

Reaction score
You should probably tie on some more tippet. I like to keep my leader about the same length as my rod.

Bruce

Joni

Reaction score
xjguy07 said:
i have a question about presentation. right now i have only about 5 feet of leader because as i was first getting used to casting i liked not haveing the screweyness of a longer leader but now that i am getting used to it i notice that when my fly hits the water it sometimes does a little ripple effect like a small rock being thrown in. will a longer leader help elimate this and get a better presentation or is it somthing wrong with my cast.
I would say to get a new leader, either a 7 1/2' or a 9' and add about a foot of tippet. You need that taper of the leader to present the fly softly. I don't know what you fish for, but I would make that leader a 4X or 5X for trout and maybe a 3X for bass. Again, you need that gradual taper. Add tippet to the end will make your leader last longer, specially if you need to try several different flies. When you hit the know connecting the tippet and the leader, just add more tippet and that is how you get a longer life out of your leader.
On another note, if you go with a furled leader, and add tippet to it, that could help greatly to the delicate lay.

xjguy07

Reaction score
thanks guys for the help i just got some more tippit on it today and cant wait to try it out and see how i do. oh and by the way i live on the easternshore of maryland so for now i am mostly fishing ponds and occasonly the river, trout flys/lines seem to work well in ponds for catching sunnies and small bass but in the river i've noticed you will need a sinking like and a weighted fly to do good.

lindmar

Reaction score
longer cast doesnt mean better...

most fish you'll catch on shorter casts is what o've learned