Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Which type line would cast best?

1. Default Which type line would cast best?

I'm an average caster and I do better with lighter weights. On higher weights I sort of cant my wrist to lock it from bending and cast Lefty Kreigh style. I want to go to a 10wt fly rod for Salmon next fall and strip streamers and leech patterns with maybe an egg dropper. I would be sight fishing from a boat casting 60'-70' or so to Salmon holding in 3'-6' of rather swift currents.

I need to get the pattern down fairly quick but I'm confused which fly line to use - sink tip type III, sinking line, shooting head/taper. Whatever line is best I would rather it be one piece at least 90' or so - I don't want 30' of something that has to be attached to a running line. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which type line would cast best?

How about an integrated shooting head like the Rio Outbound WF12I/S6 (425 grains)?

Dennis

3. Default Re: Which type line would cast best?

Thanks Dennis, actually I was looking at that very line while surfing the web this morning. So to cast this type on line, would I aerialized 30' or so with another 30' at my feet and then "shoot" the head towards the target?. Can I strip in a few feet and then roll cast the entire line outside the tip? Thanks.

Tim

Default Re: Which type line would cast best?

Quote Originally Posted by tpcollins View Post
    Thanks Dennis, actually I was looking at that very line while surfing the web this morning. So to cast this type on line, would I aerialized 30' or so with another 30' at my feet and then "shoot" the head towards the target?. Can I strip in a few feet and then roll cast the entire line outside the tip? Thanks.

Tim
    I use these lines in the salt all the time. Roll casting a sink tip is always a bear. I just don't do it.
    I like the Rio Outbound custom. I buy them heavy, load them on a rod then then trim it back until it feel right. It's a little more work but it's better better than guessing what will feel right on your rod.

Outbound Custom Fly Line | Rio
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.