Is this a good roll cast distance?

angelo1987

Reaction score
I can cast my 7'9'' 5wt with WF line between 60-70ft a pretty decent cast. Now since I roll cast more than anything I'am able to probaly cast a #8 popper to a #14 Dry fly est. 35ft or so. Is that even good for a 5wt, WF line? I'am no champion in distance casting but I do fairly good I think. :confused:

lthrnk03

Reaction score
I have a 8'6" 5wt rod. I am able to roll cast just fine, but found that by adding a haul to the stroke that I can get a good bit more distance.

fisher46

Reaction score
If ur in situations were u roll cast all the time, you might want to check out the with or spey set ups. If u can feel how a roll cast loads the rod and ur getting out to 60', one of these set ups would be an easy transition. U gotta slow down a little and sweep more but their usefulness will become apparent. How about a
80' to 100' roll cast with far much less effort, easier line mending and longer drifts. I love my switch rod.

dean_mt

Reaction score
What are you fishing for?

Since you say that you have to roll cast most of the time, and you are using a rather short rod, I assume you are stream fishing.

The necessary distance of your cast should be dictated by your situation. If 35' gets you to the spot where the fish are, then you are good! I mean, clearly you are not salmon or steelhead fishing with a 7'9" 5wt. So, assumption #2 is that you are trout fishing in tight quarters, then 35' should be plenty of distance.

Stalking your quarry is maybe more important than trying to throw a roll cast further than you can make a presentation to a trout; work on stalking the fish to within maybe 25' and then making a better cast.

My point is to not get caught up in the distance - number of feet - that your cast is. What matters is getting the fly to the fish you are pursuing.

randyflycaster

Reaction score
If you don't want to haul you can always hold the line with you index finger against the butt, that way slack won't form in the line. Release your finger (and the line) when you stop the rod at the end of the cast.

Also, to keep slack out of the line, try to begin your forward cast just before the fly stops moving. Once the fly stops, slack will form.

Randy

angelo1987

Reaction score
Dean I fish mainly from shore, Gill, Bass, Pickerel, Sometimes stream but 35ft is plenty to roll cast for those trout. I fish alot of lakes and ponds with alot of wooden area's so that roll cast really comes in handy.