Yard Practice

dennis_t

Reaction score
When practicing in the yard, is it a good idea to tie something lite on the end of your leader or tippit? The reason I ask is, I was watching Pete from Orvis' website today and he had what looked like a yarn indicator tied on.

oarfish

Reaction score
as my friend Dennis said+ Will enable you to see where you cast(fluo yarn)...if you put some"targets" in your yard;)also think you will snap your tippet if you don't tie anything on it...;)
And that will save stress on your fly line head.

Rick

fire instructor

Reaction score
I took a casting lesson earlier this season, and found that part of my problems came from practicing my casts in the yard, and not on the water. Wasn't "loading the rod correctly, as I didn't have that frictionfrom the line coming off the water for the backcast. Also, my roll casts were ghastly, until I tried them on water, and took advantage of the water friction.

axle27

Reaction score
I took a casting lesson earlier this season, and found that part of my problems came from practicing my casts in the yard, and not on the water. Wasn't "loading the rod correctly, as I didn't have that frictionfrom the line coming off the water for the backcast. Also, my roll casts were ghastly, until I tried them on water, and took advantage of the water friction.
There are many casts that you just can't do on land that work great on water. Although, for the roll cast, Ard sent me a recipe for tying a leader that closely simulates the water loading the rod on land (grass). It was very useful when fooling around with spey casting in the yard.

woolybugger53

Reaction score
I usually tie a 2-3 inch piece of yellow yarn to the end of the fly line.
You can really aim your fly line at your target, like a Hula Hoop for example, and see exactly where it lands.

I posted a tip for practicing roll casts using your foreceps a little while ago.

Jackster

Reaction score
If making grass leaders, make a few of different tag lengths. Shorter tags for long grass, longer tags for short grass. The correct length tag will help approximate the amount of slippage you would naturally get from casting on the water.

I feel your pain about learning to roll cast on land. I wasted a lot of time and energy trying to perfect my roll cast on dry land. I absolutely knew I was following all of the video's and books correctly yet couldn't get a roll cast out for beans. Luckily a friend saw my struggles and suggested I practice on water. Shazam! What a difference!

variant

Reaction score
I highly recommend you purchase the most inexpensive flyline you can find for yard practice. After a few hours the line will never be the same, and it would be a shame to ruin a line that cost you $50 or more.

silver creek

Reaction score

"So, you just got a new fly line and can’t wait to try it out. You don’t have time to run over to your local stream or pond, so you’ll just give a try on your lawn, that’s OK, right? Well, it really is not a good idea. In fact, it is a really bad idea. A session of lawn casting can actually ruin that shiny new, hi-tech fly line you just shelled out a cool, $100.00 plus for. Let’s take a look at some of the things that can really do damage to a fly line before you even step into the water.....

In the past, grass casting was a common way to practice or try out a rod. However, as lines have gotten more sophisticated this also quickly causes damage to modern fly lines. After just a brief session you’ll notice the line becoming dirty and sticky and likely stress showing at the loop. The features built into the line, such as slickness and texture are negated in a short time."

original cormorant

Reaction score
For lighter rods/lines a piece of yarn is fine, but for practicing with heavier rods I use something heavier that is more like the weight of the fly I will be casting on the rod.. It could be a fly with the bend of the hook cut off but I use a plastic curtain fitting. Why ? because I practice on water and I want it to be clear that I'm casting and not fishing.

pnc

Reaction score
It's a good idea to use a leader on end of fly line (leader takes the beating). Yes a piece of yarn or old fly (hook removed) will work. At end of leader.

Marco VS

Reaction score
Clip the hook point off an old colorful fly. Simulates actual caring conditions . Yarn is good but reacts differently. Depends on how specific and accurate your looking to get!
Exactly what i done and i found it worked great. Backyard casting got me through lockdown here in Sydney AUS