Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yard Practice

Default Yard Practice

When practicing in the yard, is it a good idea to tie something lite on the end of your leader or tippit? The reason I ask is, I was watching Pete from Orvis' website today and he had what looked like a yarn indicator tied on.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Yard Practice

A tuft of yarn will do the trick. It will emulate the wind resistance that a fly has on casting.

3. Likes tennessee dave liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    A tuft of yarn will do the trick. It will emulate the wind resistance that a fly has on casting.
    as my friend Dennis said+ Will enable you to see where you cast(fluo yarn)...if you put some"targets" in your yardalso think you will snap your tippet if you don't tie anything on it...

dont forget to use leader and tippet, will help keep the fly line from crashing into itself =)

Quote Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
    as my friend Dennis said+ Will enable you to see where you cast(fluo yarn)...if you put some"targets" in your yardalso think you will snap your tippet if you don't tie anything on it...
    And that will save stress on your fly line head.

Rick

Clip the hook point off an old colorful fly. Simulates actual caring conditions . Yarn is good but reacts differently. Depends on how specific and accurate your looking to get!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

I took a casting lesson earlier this season, and found that part of my problems came from practicing my casts in the yard, and not on the water. Wasn't "loading the rod correctly, as I didn't have that frictionfrom the line coming off the water for the backcast. Also, my roll casts were ghastly, until I tried them on water, and took advantage of the water friction.
    - Rick

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky

9. Likes tmac liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
    I took a casting lesson earlier this season, and found that part of my problems came from practicing my casts in the yard, and not on the water. Wasn't "loading the rod correctly, as I didn't have that frictionfrom the line coming off the water for the backcast. Also, my roll casts were ghastly, until I tried them on water, and took advantage of the water friction.
    There are many casts that you just can't do on land that work great on water. Although, for the roll cast, Ard sent me a recipe for tying a leader that closely simulates the water loading the rod on land (grass). It was very useful when fooling around with spey casting in the yard.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

Google search for "grass leader" for instructions on how they are made. Start with a leader about as long as your fly rod.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I usually tie a 2-3 inch piece of yellow yarn to the end of the fly line.
    You can really aim your fly line at your target, like a Hula Hoop for example, and see exactly where it lands.

I posted a tip for practicing roll casts using your foreceps a little while ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast