Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

Default Re: acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

1. ten to forty feet

2. sometimes I forget technique, don't concentrate, forget to worry about doing it right and magic happens. I just cast and all is well.

2. Default Re: acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

Quote Originally Posted by rockthief View Post
    1. ten to forty feet

2. sometimes I forget technique, don't concentrate, forget to worry about doing it right and magic happens. I just cast and all is well.
    Gah! Who knew Mary Poppins flyfished? Thanks, Rock. I think you were saying to not overthink it.

John
    “…and sometimes he saw an enormous disk of ocean, a cold, uneasy sea, endless miles of desolation, the comfortless element in which he was at home.”

Patrick O’Brian

John, some of my best casts happened when I was distracted and daydreaming. Interesting, eh?

4. Default Re: acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

Quote Originally Posted by rockthief View Post
    John, some of my best casts happened when I was distracted and daydreaming. Interesting, eh?
    Not over-thinking it?
    “…and sometimes he saw an enormous disk of ocean, a cold, uneasy sea, endless miles of desolation, the comfortless element in which he was at home.”

Patrick O’Brian

5. Default Re: acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

I started almost 2 years ago ago, and I THINK I can get out around 70' with relative comfort, but it is not accurate, and downright sloppy on a 5 wt. I almost always am tossing tandem rigs with weight added, and an indicator. If we're talking a 9' leader to a small fly like a dry, it's a whole different story! You should see if over/underlining your rod helps you at all. Could be that you're tossing a line that's too light for that rod, or vice versa. Good luck with the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by vtmatt View Post
    I started almost 2 years ago ago, and I THINK I can get out around 70' with relative comfort, but it is not accurate, and downright sloppy on a 5 wt. I almost always am tossing tandem rigs with weight added, and an indicator. If we're talking a 9' leader to a small fly like a dry, it's a whole different story! You should see if over/underlining your rod helps you at all. Could be that you're tossing a line that's too light for that rod, or vice versa. Good luck with the practice.
    This is hard for some to understand but a lighter line usually makes long casts easier.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    This is hard for some to understand but a lighter line usually makes long casts easier.
    yep....wanna cast far? Put a 3 wt line on your 5 and don't tell your buddies.

8. Default Re: acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

yep....wanna cast far? Put a 3 wt line on your 5 and don't tell your buddies.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    Well, this is the exact opposite of what I thought. I thought a heavier line would give you more distance.

I figure some are going to chime in with differing opinions, but then again, I could be wrong. (If I am, I won't admit, however.)

John

Patrick O’Brian

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345