acceptable distance for 9' 5 wt.

jspriddy

Reaction score
I been practicing for almost three months now, and have seen great improvement. I'm using 9 ft. rod with 5 wt. WF line, and casting fairly accurately at 35-40 feet. There's a bare spot in the grass about 18-20 inches in diameter, and I can hit it fairly consistently.

My question is, what distance should I expect out of my equipment? It seems that when I try to stretch the distance by a foot or so, everything goes to...well, I've seem to have hit a wall at 40 ft.

John

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
John: I wouldn't worry too much about the distance, with your practice and getting that kind of accuracy is way more important for actual fishing conditions that you will encounter. Most of the fishing you do will be in that 35-40 ft and under anyway. You didn't mention what kind of rod you have, with my Sage One, I can reach out to 60 ft no problem, but the accuracy drops way off at that distance, at least for me. I don't normally fish beyond 40 ft anyway so I don't worry too much about it. If you're obsessed with bombing casts way out there, then take a look on YouTube and learn to double haul.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
John: I wouldn't worry too much about the distance, with your practice and getting that kind of accuracy is way more important for actual fishing conditions that you will encounter. Most of the fishing you do will be in that 35-40 ft and under anyway. You didn't mention what kind of rod you have, with my Sage One, I can reach out to 60 ft no problem, but the accuracy drops way off at that distance, at least for me. I don't normally fish beyond 40 ft anyway so I don't worry too much about it. If you're obsessed with bombing casts way out there, then take a look on YouTube and learn to double haul.
What he said!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
While 35 - 40 feet may be all you need on many Trout waters, it will likely fall short for many other species and waters. I'd watch you tube for a while and learn to double haul. One thing I have discovered works well for many people, myself included, is to practice making the motions in front of your computor while you watch it. You don't even need the rod in your hand. Once you get the double haul figured out you should be able to hit between 60 and 80 feet pretty easily. If you do like my friend Bill who is a freak of nature, you will one day be able to break the 130' mark with a 5 wt. He learned it almost entirely by watching the videos he found on line. That and a rediculous amount of practice. This is a video that shows the double haul and learning the way I just mentioned;
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkrLF17ubNg]How to Double Haul Fly Cast - Red's Fly Shop - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a guy who is seriously good at it. If your neck is still in good enough shape to watch your back cast and you want to get seriously far casts, watch your backcast. I can't remember how far he cast a three weight, but it was well over 100'. You should just work on busting the 60' mark for now. :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp4gU-ylO_8]Fredrik Hedman 3wt distance SL2011 120fps - YouTube[/ame]

pegboy1

Reaction score
While 35 - 40 feet may be all you need on many Trout waters, it will likely fall short for many other species and waters.
+1 ........I've been doing alot of warm water fishing this summer for the first time in a few years. Pike, smallmouth, Largemouth etc. Bombing out 60 to 70 ft casts with large streamers and bugs is pretty much the norm while blind casting the rapids and large weedbeds of the rivers ive been fishing. Keep practicing and definately learn how to double haul. It will definately also help you on those windy days that knock down a 40 foot cast to a 20.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
That is a good distance you are hitting now. Dont get too hung up and trying to send rockets out there with your cast. They arent normally needed. That being said, learning to put a haul on your line will greatly help with distance. I can easily hit 90' with just a slight haul on my backcast with no wind.

axle27

Reaction score
The acceptable distance is to wherever the fish are...

Rip Tide

Reaction score
During the coarse of the day today, I've written and not submitted this post 4 times.
I didn't want to be the heavy.

The truth is that on stream a cast of 25' to 45 feet is most often all that you'll ever need. But if you can't cast 60-65 feet in an open area with no pressure,... you need more practice.
I'm not talking a high end rod either. Any POS rod.... any size... that's the norm
:sorry:

L

Liphookedau

Hi John.
A 40ft Cast is heaps to catch a Fish,possibly The Line isn't suited to The Rod,as we all know certain Rods perform better with certain Lines,however get on The Water Cast a Few Flies & undoubably you will catch Fish.
Brian.

jspriddy

Reaction score
Well, guys, I never expected so much response, but thanks to all who took the time.

I doubt I'll be fishing any streams, rather lakes for panfish and bass, and 40- 45 ft. seemed to me to be enough in most situations. I am practicing every opportunity I get, concentrating on accuracy, but still realize that sometimes a little more distance could be useful. I'm going to start paying more attention to my backcast, as I feel that's where my trouble lies. So Riptide, I will get more practice. Don't apologize for truth-if being the heavy is truth, so be it.

I will watch the videos, although I'm not interested in any world record "rocket shots", just getting the most practical distance out of my rod. I get your point, also, Axel.

Brian, I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but how would a greenhorn, with no "expert" around to help, know if the line was unsuited to the rod? Experimentation with the cost of fly line would be cost prohibitive. I'm using a 9 ft. 5 wt. rod, which I believe to be medium action, with 5 wt. WF floating line. All of it White River from BassPro.

Thanks to all,

John

oarfish

Reaction score
I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but how would a greenhorn, with no "expert" around to help, know if the line was unsuited to the rod? Experimentation with the cost of fly line would be cost prohibitive. I'm using a 9 ft. 5 wt. rod, which I believe to be medium action, with 5 wt. WF floating line. All of it White River from BassPro.
Patrick
With all of which you have shared here I think your doing a good job, I would like to make a suggestion and try a little experimentation with a SA Headstart 5wt line, its a half weight heavier than a normal 5wt line which could help you with timing and rod feel for 30 to 40 bucks.

Rick

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
I take a contrary position to most of the posts. Eventually, you will find that a 40 ft maximum will limit your fishing effectiveness and pleasure. Here's the problem with being able to cast 40 ft as your maximum ===> WIND!

Any headwind and your 40 ft maximum becomes a dream. The second problem is if you fish at all from a belly boat. The low position limits your cast and you tend to spook fish as you get closer.

There is no disadvantage to being able to cast long. All it can be is an advantage.

My advice is to NOT be satisfied or limited by a 40 foot range. Learn a more effective casting stroke. Learn to double haul. Learn to shoot line on the backcast. Practice.

L

Liphookedau

John.
As mentioned you will always find some Lines better suited to Rods than others,as there are heaps of Lines made for Specific purposes,many really Shoot better than others.
You seem to be going OK,I wouldn't worry too much,distance & accuracy will come with practice,as suggested later on you probably will change Lines,even Rods.
Once you start catching a few Fish you won't worry about how far you can cast.
Brian.

jspriddy

Reaction score
I take a contrary position...

My advice is to NOT be satisfied or limited by a 40 foot range. Learn a more effective casting stroke. Learn to double haul. Learn to shoot line on the backcast. Practice.
Oh, I'm trying to increase my distance, but I feel like I've come a long way in less than 3 months. I am working on double hauling but that's coming slow. But in late July, I couldn't tie the fly to the end of the rod and hit you on the head with it. So I'm making progress. I was just trying to see if I was expecting too much out my equipment.

Back to the practice field, thanks,

John

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Patrick
With all of which you have shared here I think your doing a good job, I would like to make a suggestion and try a little experimentation with a SA Headstart 5wt line, its a half weight heavier than a normal 5wt line which could help you with timing and rod feel for 30 to 40 bucks.

Rick
Thanks, Rick. I may try that. I have a gift card from one of the major retailers, and had been wondering what to do with it. Headstart sounds like it was made for new fly fishers like me.

John

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

John.
As mentioned you will always find some Lines better suited to Rods than others,as there are heaps of Lines made for Specific purposes,many really Shoot better than others.
You seem to be going OK,I wouldn't worry too much,distance & accuracy will come with practice,as suggested later on you probably will change Lines,even Rods.
Once you start catching a few Fish you won't worry about how far you can cast.
Brian.

I improve a little each day. Some days I have a revelation (OH! So that's why they say...). Like tonight, I started watching my back cast and letting it unfold a little longer. Made quite a bit of difference. A week or so ago, I figured out I was letting my rod tip go to far back on the back cast. That helped also.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

John

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I was just trying to see if I was expecting too much out my equipment.

John
Virtually any equipment is capable of more than 40' casts. That friend of mine I mentioned doing casts of 130' + is doing it with a Cabela's Three Forks rod. Not exactly expensive top of the line rod. As far as getting distance, the most important piece of equipment is you.

Silver is absolutely right about the wind. Take the weather here for instance the last couple of times I have been out. To call it breezy would be putting it mildly. Then top it off with where the outside of the weed beds are along with where the top of my waders are and only being able to make a 40' cast will get you nowhere. What he said was good advice.

I started watching my back cast and letting it unfold a little longer. Made quite a bit of difference. A week or so ago, I figured out I was letting my rod tip go to far back on the back cast. That helped also.
Those are the little things that add up to an 80' cast in the near future.

jspriddy

Reaction score
Virtually any equipment is capable of more than 40' casts....Those are the little things that add up to an 80' cast in the near future.
Thanks, Dan. Last night I couldn't have cast a 10 oz. sinker on a broomstick. The night before I was pretty well pleased. I know, I know-practice, practice...

Thanks to all

John

troutchaser8

Reaction score
If your rod is really stiff (fast action) a half weight heavier line would help you feel your rod load better and help with timing. Also a good quality line like a scientific anglers gpx, rio grand, or rio gold helps A LOT.

jspriddy

Reaction score
If your rod is really stiff (fast action) a half weight heavier line would help you feel your rod load better and help with timing. Also a good quality line like a scientific anglers gpx, rio grand, or rio gold helps A LOT.

Thanks. I think I'm going to try a heavier line. I've just put in too much practice with what I have, and really not seen a lot of improvement as of late.

John

silver creek

Reaction score
This is why I don't think you should be satisfied with a 40 foot cast.

Your rod is 9 feet long. You should be using a 9 foot leader. Add the 30 feet of your WF 5 wt fly line that is the sweet spot for your rod, and you have 9 + 9 + 30 or 48 feet. Even if you deduct about 4 feet for slop and slack, you still have a cast of 44 feet with just the 30 feet of fly line.

What I am trying to illustrate is that a 40 foot cast does not even require the minimum amount of line the rod is rated for.

The potential of your rod is to cast that WF line well into the running line. You can get much better with practice but you need to practice correctly. Find a mentor or a teacher that can you improve. Improving is not hard with the right instruction. I had one of the best.

Last edited: