Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default Re: Fly casting certification

Quote Originally Posted by wjc View Post
    So, I guess what I'm saying is that there doesn't seem to be a growing demand for casting instructors.
    I put a flyer up in a local bait and tackle shop offering to teach anyone who wanted to learn and have had ZERO calls on it. I see no reason to expect it to change next year either.

One of our only two stores that sell clothes is going under now. This will leave about half of the downtown main street out of business. If this keeps up the whole town is going to dry up and blow away.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    I put a flyer up in a local bait and tackle shop offering to teach anyone who wanted to learn and have had ZERO calls on it. I see no reason to expect it to change next year either.

One of our only two stores that sell clothes is going under now. This will leave about half of the downtown main street out of business. If this keeps up the whole town is going to dry up and blow away.
    My son works in a marina in West Virginia to help pay his college. His boss suggested he put a notice up in the marina office for casting instruction and fly trips . This is a busy marina and so far the only request he got was for a night trip for catfish with bait! I guess certain areas the interest just isn't there. I should have realized when we were the only fly guys on the lake on a busy Saturday!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

I saw a very rare 'other' fly fisherman once about 6 or 7 years ago. I went racing over to where the guy was fishing and explained I also fly fished and that I never saw anyone else do it up here. I'm not sure what was going through the guys mind but he looked at me like I was trying to talk him out of the pin number for his ATM card. I don't think it's going to be an expanding sport up here anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    I've never used a guide since I've lived here since 1971 after being to Vietnam for my second tour.
    who said anything about a guide?

Well it was a bit off topic but, Ard did say he was a guide, so.....

Since I have never charged anyone to teach them to cast, It seems like overkill for me to go the extraordinary trouble and cost it would take to become certified. Besides, I don't rate casters by how they are certified, but by how well they grow a mustache.

Winning!

6. Likes rockriver liked this post

Perhaps not the best choice of words; but, I can't imagine a instructor not offering guide services also. Perhaps Orvis or some other big name might have them.

Anytime there's an opportunity to chest thump someone will do it. It seems foolish to get a certification if you aren't using it to add to your guiding/teaching resume.

Since I have never charged anyone to teach them to cast, It seems like overkill for me to go the extraordinary trouble and cost it would take to become certified. Besides, I don't rate casters by how they are certified, but by how well they grow a mustache.

Winning!
    Do handlebars add to the 'stache rating? I haven't had one in a few years, it's just easier to shave it clean than keep up with maintenance to stay legal in the dress and appearance regs...when I retire in 2014, I'm getting me some 'stache wax and growing some handlebars!

Since I have never charged anyone to teach them to cast, It seems like overkill for me to go the extraordinary trouble and cost it would take to become certified.
    Everyone’s story is different and I'm sure if I had no opportunity to teach what I know about casting I wouldn't bother to pay to get certified either.
    That said, I know quite a few non-certified people who teach casting. Of all of them only a couple could and should become certified (and it looks like they will be testing next year) The others may think they're teaching okay but they might just fall into the class of people who don't know they don't know how to cast or teach.
    I'm just saying if the certification is something you can use because you enjoy casting and teaching and you have the opportunities available to teach casting you should at least consider it. If nothing else it lends credibility to your ability not only to cast but to teach.
    There's a reason it's not simply called a certified caster certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by cowpokey View Post
    Do handlebars add to the 'stache rating? I haven't had one in a few years, it's just easier to shave it clean than keep up with maintenance to stay legal in the dress and appearance regs...when I retire in 2014, I'm getting me some 'stache wax and growing some handlebars!
    Why yes they do. I'm not planning on a handlebar so for the next two years at least, I'm still winning!

Game on Dan....This joker will be to my chin in a month....LOL

Fishing the world....1 Flat at a time.....

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
    "All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields

12. Likes Guest1 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12