Fly casting certification

chuckfluffer

Reaction score
Not really about casting, more about instructing and casting certification.

Generally in the UK and other countries we take the assessment because we want to instruct and it's a validation of our ability. A few may take the assessment just as a badge of honour so they can say they made the grade but have no actual intension to instruct. I am lead to believe this is more prevelent in the States than elsewhere. Is this true or not?

Also, I rarely see the IFFF mentioned and I am just wondering why.

Mike

Reactions: Ard

Jackster

Reaction score
In my little corner of this large country it seems things are about where they should be. When I tested as much emphasis was placed on teaching and communication skills as on casting.
It was understood that trying to baffle your student with your brilliance was taboo as was using their test to show off your casting ability.

I'm sure some chest thumpers get through who just want the cert as a badge of achievement. This can and will happen where ever a casting certification is offered. People are people don't you know?

As of now we only have two stages of certification. I would like to see a third stage for guides and fly shops that helps them teach in the relatively narrow range of casting their clients might do with them. Be that the parking lot rod demonstration, quick start casts or the 'lob the indicator and shot over there' cast that is the bread and butter cast for many guides.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jack,

Where I live I haven't a clue as to who and where anyone would certify me. I am actually a licensed outfitter & fly fishing guide but have no sort of casting certificate. It has occurred to me that such a certification could be an asset to me, do you have any suggestions as to how I could do this in Alaska?

Jackster

Reaction score
Hi Jack,

Where I live I haven't a clue as to who and where anyone would certify me. I am actually a licensed outfitter & fly fishing guide but have no sort of casting certificate. It has occurred to me that such a certification could be an asset to me, do you have any suggestions as to how I could do this in Alaska?
Here’s a list of Alaska instructors. I suggest you contact them to see how they became certified. I think at least two masters must run the test. I hope you take and pass the test. You sure are a good help around here!
http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Resources/Locate/CastingInstructors.aspx

A guides list from the FFF guides association. This might be a good way to get your name in front of people coming to your area.
https://www.fedflyfishers.org/Resources/Locate/Guides.aspx
How you apply is up to you to find out. I dug around a little but feel you might have to call or email someone. It’s a new website I linked to.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Rep to you on this topic, both of you!

I don't do much web searching and obviously am out of the loop on this topic, no pun intended. I may very well follow up on this and will let you know on this thread what I find.

Thanks to Chuckfluffer for getting this ball rolling also,

Ard

wjc

Reaction score
Mike,

It's hard to say. But I would suspect that nearly all of the new instructors being certified here are either guides who want to learn how to instruct to help their clients catch more fish, or are owners/staff of fishing lodges, fly shops or wilderness trip outfitters where good instruction will help their primary businesses. There isn't a fly fishing club in or even near the "Sportfishing Capital of the World" in the Florida Keys, for instance.

With the economy here gone south, and no substantial reason for it to change, I think that those who are working are not spending so much time in leisure pursuits as they were in the years just after "The Movie" came out.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that there doesn't seem to be a growing demand for casting instructors. And for someone wanting to teach who's not in the recreational fishing business already, they would, in many places, have to have the time to start from scratch. Perhaps offering lessons to the Boy Scouts for merit badges or schools, and try to get the word spread. But that takes time and a separate source of income.

To me it seems like a lot of work and expense to go through for someone with no intention of ever teaching, just to have their own personal "merit badge". I can't imagine too many people anywhere would put the time in for something that the vast majority of the population here doesn't even know exists. Much easier to buy the fastest crotch rocket on the market for a "low down payment and easy terms".

So I tend to think that those instances you mention are likely fewer than perceived.

Cheers,
Jim

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
So, I guess what I'm saying is that there doesn't seem to be a growing demand for casting instructors.
I put a flyer up in a local bait and tackle shop offering to teach anyone who wanted to learn and have had ZERO calls on it. I see no reason to expect it to change next year either.

One of our only two stores that sell clothes is going under now. This will leave about half of the downtown main street out of business. If this keeps up the whole town is going to dry up and blow away.

theboz

Reaction score
I put a flyer up in a local bait and tackle shop offering to teach anyone who wanted to learn and have had ZERO calls on it. I see no reason to expect it to change next year either.

One of our only two stores that sell clothes is going under now. This will leave about half of the downtown main street out of business. If this keeps up the whole town is going to dry up and blow away.
My son works in a marina in West Virginia to help pay his college. His boss suggested he put a notice up in the marina office for casting instruction and fly trips . This is a busy marina and so far the only request he got was for a night trip for catfish with bait! I guess certain areas the interest just isn't there. I should have realized when we were the only fly guys on the lake on a busy Saturday!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I saw a very rare 'other' fly fisherman once about 6 or 7 years ago. I went racing over to where the guy was fishing and explained I also fly fished and that I never saw anyone else do it up here. I'm not sure what was going through the guys mind but he looked at me like I was trying to talk him out of the pin number for his ATM card. I don't think it's going to be an expanding sport up here anytime soon. :rolleyes:

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well it was a bit off topic but, Ard did say he was a guide, so..... :rolleyes:

Since I have never charged anyone to teach them to cast, It seems like overkill for me to go the extraordinary trouble and cost it would take to become certified. Besides, I don't rate casters by how they are certified, but by how well they grow a mustache. :D

Winning!

rockriver

Reaction score
Perhaps not the best choice of words; but, I can't imagine a instructor not offering guide services also. Perhaps Orvis or some other big name might have them.

cowpokey

Reaction score
Anytime there's an opportunity to chest thump someone will do it. It seems foolish to get a certification if you aren't using it to add to your guiding/teaching resume.

Since I have never charged anyone to teach them to cast, It seems like overkill for me to go the extraordinary trouble and cost it would take to become certified. Besides, I don't rate casters by how they are certified, but by how well they grow a mustache. :D

Winning!
Do handlebars add to the 'stache rating? I haven't had one in a few years, it's just easier to shave it clean than keep up with maintenance to stay legal in the dress and appearance regs...when I retire in 2014, I'm getting me some 'stache wax and growing some handlebars! :D

Jackster

Reaction score

Since I have never charged anyone to teach them to cast, It seems like overkill for me to go the extraordinary trouble and cost it would take to become certified.
Everyone’s story is different and I'm sure if I had no opportunity to teach what I know about casting I wouldn't bother to pay to get certified either.
That said, I know quite a few non-certified people who teach casting. Of all of them only a couple could and should become certified (and it looks like they will be testing next year) The others may think they're teaching okay but they might just fall into the class of people who don't know they don't know how to cast or teach.
I'm just saying if the certification is something you can use because you enjoy casting and teaching and you have the opportunities available to teach casting you should at least consider it. If nothing else it lends credibility to your ability not only to cast but to teach.
There's a reason it's not simply called a certified caster certificate.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do handlebars add to the 'stache rating? I haven't had one in a few years, it's just easier to shave it clean than keep up with maintenance to stay legal in the dress and appearance regs...when I retire in 2014, I'm getting me some 'stache wax and growing some handlebars! :D
Why yes they do. I'm not planning on a handlebar so for the next two years at least, I'm still winning! :D