Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snake rolls, with no space behind you

1. Default Snake rolls, with no space behind you

Hi. I really love the snake roll for those tight spots
    Here I am just pointing out that you really don't need any space behind you, if you set the line a bit in front of you in the water.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=186oH_HjfZk&feature=share&list=UUfNyA4ieYw x6Bi6nGP7DBzQ]Snake rolls - with no space behind you - YouTube[/ame]

Default Re: Snake rolls, with no space behind you

I have no idea what that guy is saying, no real need to, just watching him cast was a learning experience. He made it look so effortless. Thanks for sharing that

Would be curious to know if this requires overlining the fly rod. Any thoughts?

Well that was certainly interesting, gonna have to practice that one here in the hotel parking lot.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Arrow Re: Snake rolls, with no space behind you

He makes it look so easy. Even whole holding onto a pine tree and casting!

Quote Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post

Nope just a proper line for the rod and the surface tension helps load the rod. It does look like he's using a shooting head in the video though but I use casts like these all the time with a properly matched line.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

7. Likes Guest1, woodrivertroutbum liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Nope, but hard to properly 'pull off' with a short headed spey line. With a 1hander a long forward tapered line (like the 'Triangle Taper') makes this cast a 'piece of cake' with a touch of practice.

You need a touch over half your rod length (clear air) to execute same.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

9. Likes Guest1, oarfish liked this post
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

No, despite the common misconception you do. In fact it burns my biscuits when people insist you do. So much so that I made a video doing it where I was underlined. So no, not only no, but H E double hockey stick no.
    Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    Well that was certainly interesting, gonna have to practice that one here in the hotel parking lot.

Dave
    You need to anchor the line in water, and the parking lot will be seriously hard on your line. I'd wait for water.

11. Likes oarfish liked this post

An arrow flip might work a little better.

Rick

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Only if you felt you needed to, it depends on your cast, rod. I'm thinking of using a light sprey line on a single hander 10 wt in the surf when it gets a little warmer.

Rick

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Nope, but hard to properly 'pull off' with a short headed spey line. With a 1hander a long forward tapered line (like the 'Triangle Taper') makes this cast a 'piece of cake' with a touch of practice.

You need a touch over half your rod length (clear air) to execute same.
    Fred you've still got it.

Rick

13. Default Re: Snake rolls, with no space behind you

I find it interesting that he seems to begin the snake roll by moving the rod in the direction he is going to cast. In Rio's Modern Spey Casting, Simon says to begin the cast by moving the rod in the opposite direction you are going to cast.

Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast