Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Roll Casting for Accuracy and Distance

Blog Entries

Default Roll Casting for Accuracy and Distance

Here is an interesting video done by Peter Kutzer from Orvis on performing a roll cast for better accuracy and distance.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnRzkW0F9ek&feature=player_embedded]Ask a Fly-Fishing Instructor: The Roll Cast II - YouTube[/ame]
    Larry

2. Likes rubberguy liked this post

Default Re: Roll Casting for Accuracy and Distance

I use the water roll haul about every time I fish my local tailwater when the water is running.

I use the flow to help me shoot the line up and throw in a mend at the end.

It works brilliantly with slower longer rods.

Great video by the way. Thanks for sharing.
    " Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " - Brian Shaffer

turbineblade Guest

I almost never cast directly overhead unless the conditions call for it. I'm usually somewhere between 45 degrees and parallel to the water when casting, so I just roll cast the same way. The biggest thing to me is to not change your forward cast -- and watch the trajectory, aiming out and up to get the loop out there.

That "reach for the sky" and wood chopping doesn't work for me.

Learning to spey cast has improved my single handed roll casting immensely. In fact, I know use some light weight scandi lines in situations where a lot of rolling casting is required.

My rod of choice right now is a 6wt 7'10", although it casts very well, I found it is hard to be consistent in accuracy and distance. It needs plenty of fly line to turn over, or the cast will just pile up.
    I also need to stop my forward cast very high almost at 11 o'clock and angle it at 60 with more snap on the wrist to cast only ok.

I found out that a single hand T-snap, snake roll or dynamic roll casts are better than the regular roll.

Now is it just my bad technique or is it just the nature of shorter fly rod?
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

7. Default Re: Roll Casting for Accuracy and Distance

thanks for posting this

Blog Entries

He's definitely a "thumb on top" kinda guy.

9. Likes tbum2020 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
    My rod of choice right now is a 6wt 7'10", although it casts very well, I found it is hard to be consistent in accuracy and distance. It needs plenty of fly line to turn over, or the cast will just pile up.
    I also need to stop my forward cast very high almost at 11 o'clock and angle it at 60 with more snap on the wrist to cast only ok.

I found out that a single hand T-snap, snake roll or dynamic roll casts are better than the regular roll.

Now is it just my bad technique or is it just the nature of shorter fly rod?
    The shorter rod will def. prevent you from roll casting as you would with a longer rod. The roll cast is dependent on maximizing the initial velocity of the "action" in order to create the maximum reaction (distance), a longer rod will give you a greater range of motion which allows you to create a greater initial velocity or load. Unlike a normal cast where you have nothing limiting your back cast therefore distance is ultimately maximized through the transfer of momentum. The waters I fish absolutely depend on the roll cast and with my wulff triangle taper, a 9ft 5wt and a spey like preload can roll cast the full 30yds of line if necessary. Also, I roll cast with a with a rod action across my body. I roll cast with my right hand and load across my body with the line traveling over my left shoulder. I don't know how normal that is but def. allows me to roll cast prob. 40% further. I now actually find myself roll casting in situations where a basic forward cast could be achieved.

---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
    I found out that a single hand T-snap, snake roll or dynamic roll casts are better than the regular roll.rod?
    I love the snake roll too!
    ~ Put backing on your line... Even if you never use it, it helps you dream.