Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Casting Issues

Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)

Default Casting Issues

When I'm just doing a sideways cast and even sometimes a regular cast, it seems that I've been getting my fly to hit my fly line a lot and getting everything tangled up. I usually use around 8' of leader and tippet, and I use a 5 wt 9' rod. Does this happen to anyone else? How do I fix it?

Default Re: Casting Issues

Does it happen when you are trying to get a little extra distance? It sounds like a tailing loop.

Check my reply to this post:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...back-line.html
    Last edited by silver creek; 06-18-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)

yes it does happen when I try to get out more line. Should I just cast normally and let the rod do the work

Quote Originally Posted by pikefisher69 View Post
    yes it does happen when I try to get out more line. Should I just cast normally and let the rod do the work
    If you read my earlier reference you will note that the fly rod bends, shortening the distance of the rod tip to your casting hand. When you try to get a bit more line out, you are likely "shocking" the rod just before the end of the cast. This sudden punch bends the rod tip down toward the casting hand and when the rod straightens, the get a dip (concave shape) in the rod tip path that causes the tailing loop.

You need to add more power during the entire casting stroke by using a longer stroke length and a faster but SMOOTH acceleration. You may also have developed a "creep" on the forward cast as you anticipate the delivery cast. Unless I see you cast, those are my thoughts.

http://archives.flyfisherman.com/content/creep-and-jab
    Last edited by silver creek; 06-19-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

When I was first starting out, I was going through a couple of leaders per outing. My personal favorite was when I could knot the tippet around the hook at the bend - that was an accomplishment. I remember lots about tailing loops!

I stopped chewing up leaders as soon as I was working on loop control and not pushing for that extra 6". I learned loop control and then how to double haul and voila! I had more distance than I needed. Took me years and years to realize that after I reached 40' easily, I wanted 45', then 50'.... , then I figured out I was dropping the line right on top of the fish I should have been fishing for.
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.