Cracking the whip

fmjnax

Reaction score
So I just started with fly fishing this past weekend (on a cheap Pflueger combo, which may be part of the problem but I digress). In practicing, I have been whipping flies right off the line (cracking the whip). I know this is wrong, but I can't tell specifically what I am doing wrong to have this happen (switching to the back/forward cast too early/too late/too sudden/etc). Any ideas?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I think what you are experiencing is caused by not delaying the forward cast long enough for the back cast to complete. You might try turning your head and watching the back cast, as it completes, then start the forward cast.

Hopefully one of the casting experts on this forum will see your question and provide better advice.

I'd highly recommend getting a little casting help from your local fly shop. You will be amazed at how fast you will improve with some hands on help from a professional.

silver creek

Reaction score
Larry has nailed it.

As the casts get longer, the delay between the backcast and forward cast must be longer. A newbie keeps the same timing and as you try to cast a bit further on the forward cast, you start too soon. The crack you hear is exactly like the crack of a bull whip.

As Larry says, you can put you right foot back (for a right handed caster) and this 45 degree stance will allow you to see your backcast. Another way to see you backcast is to cast side arm.

Both will work. Since you don't have the muscle memory give you timing cues, you need visual cues to tell you how long the delay should be.

As you practice repeat the back and forward casts without changing the distance to reinforce your muscle memory on how it feel to cast that amount of line. We want your body to learn what degree of rod bend and rod resistance = what amount of delay. Then extend line and practice at that length so your body learns to equate that amount of rod reel to that amount of delay.

fmjnax

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I understand. After more reading and video watching, I think I am starting to get the right motions and timing. Practice, practice, practice.

garybrower

Reaction score
I had the same problem (I'm a newbie, too, so I'm NOT relaying experience!). A friend, with a lot of experience, gave me much the same advice as you're seeing here. I went from losing 6-8 flies in a couple of hours, to none, after only a couple of outings, paying attention to the timing. Of course, I still lose flies to trees, snags, etc.

The "whip-crack" puts an incredible amount of stress on the tippet (so my physicist friend says). Much more than fighting a fish!

Tight lines!

pszy22

Reaction score
I know that's a problem I had a long time ago when I first started fishing. It's just a matter of reminding yourself to slow things down.

Sometime try a little experiment and throw out a back cast and just watch it. It's up in the air for a surprisingly long time. Once you get a feel for it, you find out there is no big hurry required to make a forward cast.

jimp

Reaction score
I'm a newb/inexperienced FF'r as well, and I have to remind myself every time I pick up a fly rod "to slow down", slow everything down in the casting motion, both the back cast and the forward cast. You have to "wait for it, wait for it" so to speak.

mmb91

Reaction score
Im a newb as well. Just took a fly fishing class for the first time just yesterday and the instructor went over how to avoid the "$2 snap". A quick little trick he told us was to say "Sacramento" before we begin our forward cast. It gives you a rough estimate of how much time it takes to load your rod during the backcast. After you get that down, youll be able to feel the pull of the fully loaded rod and youll know when to forward cast more accurately.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I was snapping off a few my first month. Especially when fishing with tall brush behind me and causeing me to ush even more. The guys have already told you the real problem, but there a couple minor things you can do to help while learning. Make sure you are using decent quality tippet that isn't old. I also did a one size plus up on tippet size temporarily. 5X or smaller is just not very forgiving.

xnykid

Reaction score
forgive me for bumping an old thread here but i can't resist.
get out in a large open area get the line out in front of you on the ground. Make the back cast an stop....... let the line fall on the ground.... make the forward motion and as you do feel the line loading the rod, the line does not move forward as fast as the rod so the tip bends back. when you come to a compleat stop on the front cast the line will zip forward and you will feel the line load the rod tip again, you will feel it pull the rod tip forward before the line drops to the ground.
With the line in front make that deliberate back cast again and make sure you come to a deliberate stop and this time just take note of that feeling of the line passing you by and the loading of your rod towards the rear.
just keep doing this exercise 20 times. you will feel the loading on both the start of your cast and while you are waiting for that line to finish and load your rod again.
later you will feel that backward loading of that rod and that should be your trigger that it is the right time to make your forward motion in your cast.
you won't believe how long a time that really is and in the excitement of a stream you will find yourself rushing that stop period a lot and you will loose the power to make a clean straight cast. just remember that the whole key to fly casting is letting that rod load.

bobo_greybeard

Reaction score
I am also a newbie on a fly rod. I was recently given an older fiberglass finwick to get me started in this great sport. It seems all I hear is the "crack of the whip" LOL. Luckily I haven't started putting flies on the end of the tippet yet.

Thanks,

Bobo

E

easterncaster

Another suggestion when working on timing during practice:

Do not use a yarn fly ...or any fly for that matter.

A leader with no fly to finish off the cast is far less forgiving of bad timing - in this case 'pauses too short' ('changing direction too soon', 'coming forward too soon') which often result in the whip crack sound.

calftail

Reaction score
The crack in the cast happens when the rythym is off between the forward cast and the backcast. You haven't put enough umph in the backcast and the line stalls in the air and when you make that sudden change of direction to get your fly to the target it snaps the end of the leader because it isn't moving in any direction. The speed of the forward cast and it's plane should equal the backcast.

The tempo is 1..2..1..2. You pause slightly between the forward and back cast and try not to give it a burst of speed when you present the fly.

swidaho

Reaction score
I'm another newbe at fly fishing as well. Something I did In the shooting sports to help myself out is video tape what I'm doing. As someone better then me would talk to me and tell me when I was doing something wright or when I was doing it wrong. Keep a open mind doing this and review it when you get home or in the field. I'm one of those people when I can see I'll remember what I was doing and feel it. They fun part of taping it is you can go back and review it again and again when I hit a wall.

Bill

xnykid

Reaction score
after about three frustrating years of leaning to play golf I also made a video of myself and after watching it I quit the sport all together, in my mind I was a lot better looking.

just4grins

Reaction score
Even better than the video is to stand parallel to the casting plane, the direction your line is going back and forth. Then watch your line as you are casting and you'll see what you're doing wrong. Watch your loop, more often than not you're starting your forward cast too early. Its all timing with a little hesitation on the backcast to allow the loop to open up.

Mnflyfish

Reaction score
That pfluger combo is ok, my 13 yr old son has a Medalist 5/6 wt 8' and it casts pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone

andrew_rigsby

Reaction score
I am mainly self taught and would say that I have decent casting. I learned pretty much everything when I started from watching Orvis Fly fishing videos. I would watch them cast and then video myself casting, critique myself, and get back out there. This has led me to be quite confident in my casting ability. It also gives you a good perspective on things you do that you might not know you do! Hope this helps!