Me or the rod?

skrap

Reaction score
I will they to explain what is happening with out totally confusing you all.

Gear: Allen ATS 9' 6wt rod with Kraken #2. Rio Gold 6wt Floating line with Joni's 5/6 hi-vis 5' furled and about 4' of 4X Tippett and a bugger in size 10 or so.

Here's the problem. I went out to practice some casting at a local pond (don't allow fishing but practice casting is fine). My line was laying out only decently. Occasionally I had some nice casts but mostly the last 10' of Rio line was sort of falling/laying out in a wiggly line / lazy "S". The furled leader seemed to lay out fine or at least as well as my ability would allow. I did have some decent breeze at my back but it did seem to swirl at times due to the large eucalyptus trees surrounding the pond.

Here is something I noticed about the rod that I have a concern with. Not so much the rod but maybe my technique. Trying to learn again with just the basics I was taught many, many years ago I noticed that when I get to the 10 o'clock position to "pause" for a split second (or what ever the correct term is) I noticed the top third of the rod is sort of shaking back and forth. The tip of the rod shakes the same as if you were to hold your rod where it should be on the cork handle and then bump, with your other palm, a little higher up above the cork handle.

Could this wiggling or shaking of the upper 1/3 of the rod during my "pause" cause the line to not lay out properly? At this point I have no way of filming and posting my cast. my son and I will be taking a casting class from our local shop in the next couple months to help us out.

Btw, I didn't seem to have this same issue with my Xa 6'6" 3wt and Trout II #1 with Rio Trout 3wt floating line. And not with another entry level rod and reel I have in its 6wt setup. All these cast seemed pretty good comparatively speaking to the ATS 6wt setup.

Any ideas fellas?

fishenfool

Reaction score
That wiggle or shake as you describe it is what you do for a splat cast which causes the line to lay out in bends on the water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

crothy

Reaction score
I don't have a correction for you, but I occasionally have the same issue. Any other ideas?

fq13

Reaction score
I've never fished an Allen, so I don't know how the rod handles in terms of action. But maybe next time you practice try varying the speed of your casts? A little slower, a little faster, trying a single haul? See if that effects how the line lays out. also look at your backcast, is it stretching all the way out? Beyond that, I'm stumped. Good luck.

M

mridenour

Cast where you can watch your backcast. It sounds like you may not be starting your forward cast soon enough. The timing will be different with differing rod actions.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no experience with the rod in question but suspect the problem lies in your ability at this point rather than the rod. If the rod tip seems to be wobbling after the stop this would suggest that there was a lack of load and line speed.

The suggestion that the back cast may not be straightened out when you start the forward stroke is perhaps the best. Generally by the time I have stopped the forward stroke my line is traveling at the top speed. This results in it quickly unfurling with no problems.

There are different strokes for different folks. I for instance seldom make my forward stop at exactly 10 O' Clock. I tend to take the rod forward as far as needed to compensate for the length of the delivery cast. This can sometimes result in my having a very low tip position by the time the cast is down.

Your own personal style will be the result of your practice. I don't believe that there is a cookie cutter casting form that will fit every fly caster. When you consider that there are millions of us it would be impossible for everyone to be using the exact same procedure. The ten & two stroke is a good teaching tool. It gives a solid base for folks to begin their casting / learning process. Trying to adhere to it through your life's fishing experience may not give the best results.

In both single hand and 2 hand casting I do so many things that are way out of the scope of how casting is taught. However, with either type of rod if I were watched from a distance you may think I cast rather well. There are always casts that flop, those that are not picture perfect. In my opinion this is not something to worry about at all. On the other hand if the problem is chronic and affects every cast it is time to return to square one and refine your efforts. By this I mean that you may need to read again and study diagrams of a solid casting style. Take your time and be sure to comprehend the material studied and then go for some casting practice.

My own learning encompassed over ten years. It was until I put in some serious study and practice that I actually realized what good casts looked like coming from my rods.

Ard

T

turbineblade

You.

Practice more and you'll look back at this post and laugh. :)

fq13

Reaction score
You.

Practice more and you'll look back at this post and laugh. :)
Dude! You broke the guy code! Its the rod. Quick, buy a new one (in a different weight) and tell the wife the experts say you got hoodwinked by con artists and bought a piece of junk through no fault of your own. You had no choice but to buy that new Sage. And of course the reel and line were **** too, so they need to be replaced, but you'll keep them as backups. :D

skrap

Reaction score
Dude! You broke the guy code! Its the rod. Quick, buy a new one (in a different weight) and tell the wife the experts say you got hoodwinked by con artists and bought a piece of junk through no fault of your own. You had no choice but to buy that new Sage. And of course the reel and line were **** too, so they need to be replaced, but you'll keep them as backups. :D
I figured it wasn't me so I guess I'm going to go and get me on of them Clutch Rods. I guarantee if I spend $775 on a rod I will cast like a seasoned veteran by 2:30pm.

Really, thanks for the replies fellas. I know it is me and inexperience in general. It was my first time with that rod so I need lots of alone time with it. Hope the wife doesn't get jealous.:D

As Ard said, I need to watch vids and read the material too. Like going back to college again.:eek:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Hoby,

I have looked at videos and although they are better than nothing I find them to be lacking. What do I mean by that? I don't know how to put it into 100 words or less so I'll stick with 'lacking'. I used a book (old school I know) but when I did that we did not have you tube. Maybe watching videos will help.

This past August I guided a European gentleman who was the best single Spey caster I had ever seen. He was smooth and consistent in almost every cast he made. Being able to watch him right there in person for several days improved my casting. What I'm trying to say with that is; reading and studying diagrams in Tom McNally's 'Fly Fishing' worked for me in 1979 and spending time with a good caster worked in 2013. You Tube did not help, not in my case. I am what we could call a self taught Spey caster aside from what I learned by watching this summer. I fish but while I fish I am always working on my timing and through that I get better every day out.

But with both styles of casting, traditional & 2 hand Spey cast, I built a good base and worked from there. We all started this as the new guy having problems. I wish you lived right nearby because I would meet up with you this weekend and try to help you to troubleshoot your cast.

Ard