Mystery Reel & Line

garybrower

Reaction score
Good afternoon!

I bought a reel with line at a garage sale a while back, and I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have in hand!

The reel is a Cortland Mosquito S. Is there a way I can tell what line weights it's suited for? I bought it for use with a 7-weight rod (I also bought at a different garage sale).

Also, it came with backing, a line and leader. All I know of the line is that there was a hand-written label on the reel case that said "Jim Teeny". So I don't know what weight line, whether it's floating, sink tip, or what. Any way I can learn that?

Thanks,

Gary

Thanks!

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gary,I searched the web....found a Cortland Mosquito M(about 3.5" in diameter)
..... yours is a S so it may be small (for a 3 or 4 wt line) measure the spool to check if I'm right;)

silver creek

Reaction score
I'd also look at the drag on the reel even if a 7 wt line would fit. It has a click pawl drag which is inadequate for a 7 wt reel. You will need to learn how to palm the spool to provide drag. Note the "rim control" on the box.

standman

Reaction score
The Cortland Mosquito S was designed for WF 4-6 weight line and holds about 100 yards 20# backing. The reel has a non adjustable click & pawl drag and the spool has rim control. It would be best suited for trout and panfish.

garybrower

Reaction score
Thanks, all! It is an "S", about 3-1/4" in diameter. So I guess I'll have to keep looking for a 7wt reel!

Would this "S" -- apparently designed for a 4-5 -- work for a 3wt line?

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

greg_h

Reaction score
I expect your reel will work fine on a smaller rod. The other consideration after how much line it will hold is how will it balance the rod. I like a reel that balances the rod perfectly horizontally with 30' of line out when I hold the grip in the typical manner. Thus your S reel will be too light for the 7wt rod. Try this on your 3wt and see.

fq13

Reaction score
Thanks, all! It is an "S", about 3-1/4" in diameter. So I guess I'll have to keep looking for a 7wt reel!

Would this "S" -- apparently designed for a 4-5 -- work for a 3wt line?

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

How much do you want to spend? There some good ones out there now with sales and closeouts for well under a hundred bucks. Heck if you're fishing fresh water you could do worse than Cabelas Wind River for twenty or the prestige premire for fifty or Redington's pursuit for about the same money. For a very few bucks more you're into Okuma Integritys and a number of others. Budget fifty to a hundred bucks and you'd be surprised at how nice a reel you can find.

williamhj

Reaction score
Lots of great reels out there. Personally I'd email the folks at Allen fly fishing and talk to them about their reels. Have one on my 6wt and love it. Great company to work with.

If you use the other reel for a 3wt remember you'll want to add more backing.

Reactions: Ard