Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping track of leaders

Default Re: Keeping track of leaders

Quote Originally Posted by garybrower View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone have a system for keeping track of leaders. For example, I may go from a better body of water that may call for a 5X 9' leader to one that requires a 4X 7-1/2'. So I take off the 5X....but, short of having a pre-marked baggie, how do I keep from confusing it with other leaders (from earlier, similar situations)? I've thought about some kind of color-code marking up at the loop end? Thoughts?

Gary

Sent from my RAZR via Tapatalk
    Gary,

I think I have a system that is cheap and will work for you. I posted it to this thread.

Leader Management Question

I use 3" X 4" "white block" zip lock bags from Michaels Craft Store. They are $3.29 per 100. Label the bag with a Sharpie for leader length, tippet size, nymphing or dry. Hold the bags together with a rubber band. Simple, cheap, efficient.

If you want a "wallet," staple about 10 of the bags together at the bottom so you have a "flip leader wallet" that you can flip to the correct bag.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Thanks all! Some great suggestions. I generally keep the little bags they came in, but if I buy a bag of 3, I'm not so keen on putting a used leader back in the original bags (since it will no longer be 9' or 7-1/2'). And there have been times when I've taken off a really tangled leader, knowing that when I get home with good light and warm(er) fingers I can untangle it.

Of course the major problem is remembering which leader I have on the rod from the last time I headed out. I think I'll end up developing some kind of color coding (using a sharpie) on the butt-end of the leader, and put some kind of label on the bag (or bag insert) so I don't forget. Age is having its effects!

Thanks!

Gary

I use furled leaders from streamsideleaders.com you can pick your own length and color combinations so my short leaders that are light wt are red/black, my short leaders med wt are dun/tan etc. I keep 4 colors on me all the time and can tell you whats on that reel with just a glance. they all come in that little bag with a card in it saying what the wt and length is so I do keep them in the original pouches also. I use 4 ft and 5.5 ft and add 4-5 ft of tippet so it is a very flexible way to fish.

If you are buying tapered leader just put it back in the bag. When I have bags of 3 I put the used one in back and later, at home, I take it out, measure it and add tippet to take it back to near original length. I bought some snap rings like in a binder, and use the rack hole in the lip of the pab to keep them sorted by X factor.

Thanks for the great suggestion!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garybrower View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone have a system for keeping track of leaders. For example, I may go from a better body of water that may call for a 5X 9' leader to one that requires a 4X 7-1/2'. So I take off the 5X....but, short of having a pre-marked baggie, how do I keep from confusing it with other leaders (from earlier, similar situations)? I've thought about some kind of color-code marking up at the loop end? Thoughts?

Gary

Sent from my RAZR via Tapatalk
    I use a fine point black sharpie to mark all my leaders when I purchase them. for 5X I will mark 5 lines at butt section of the leader so I know it is 5X, I also put it back in the original bag. The length does not matter as measure it to figure out if it is 9 ft. or 7 ft. etc. The length might change after some usage as you add and remove tippet.

I also make loop at butt section so it is easy to change the leaders.

I use reel cases for all reels and spools. In those cases I will have small paper with history , dates with all the leaders used on that fly line. It just keep track of all leaders. When I am fishing on a particular river, stream. I only take few leaders with me , to reduce confusion.

I thought about using the Leader wallet but it was bulky to fit in my sling pack with other stuff.

This is not the perfect system but worked well for me.

I've hand tied all my own leaders for just about 25 years now and I keep them in regular old 'snail mail" paper envelopes.
    I carry them in an old billfold wallet as they're much less bulky than "official" leader wallets.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

I like to put the leader back into the package it came from. The leader insert should tell you what weight / length it is. We just started selling the leader wallets below and are already out of the Olive color. I just ordered more this morning. If you spend the two minutes of time it takes to put the leaders away correctly, it saves much time trying to figure out just what you actually have when you need it most. (when fish are rising)

below is the link to the accessories page where you will find the wallets.

https://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.c...013-12-19.html

9. Likes jslo liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12