Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fly Casting Italian Style

Hi Paul,

He does some interesting things but I believe many of us develop casting styles to accommodate the streams and varied situations we have fished in. When I was in my other life which would mean the many years fishing the mountains of Pennsylvania, I certainly had to have tricks which allowed me to fish the dry or streamer on small brush and tree lined & sometimes choked streams. Did I do what the man here is doing? I honestly don't know but necessity fostered many a unique cast I do remember that. Now here in AK. I find myself inventing once again when I find tough situations.

The man is good I'll give him that, I enjoyed the show.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes Hirdy liked this post
  3. Default Re: Fly Casting Italian Style

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Hi Paul,

He does some interesting things but I believe many of us develop casting styles to accommodate the streams and varied situations we have fished in. When I was in my other life which would mean the many years fishing the mountains of Pennsylvania, I certainly had to have tricks which allowed me to fish the dry or streamer on small brush and tree lined & sometimes choked streams. Did I do what the man here is doing? I honestly don't know but necessity fostered many a unique cast I do remember that. Now here in AK. I find myself inventing once again when I find tough situations.

The man is good I'll give him that, I enjoyed the show.
    You can believe or not my words but I can assure you that you cannot invent Tlt...
    It is to difficult to do without al lot of years for workout...
    We use very light fly line at very high velocity.
    It is ok for small and medium streams... not for big river...
    Only for dry flies...
    mao

4. Thanks leftytyro thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fly Casting Italian Style

Quote Originally Posted by wjc View Post
    It's odd, Jim, but I can't remember ever having bought a DT line. The line that came on my first outfit I got for Christmas when I was a kid was a level line, and I switched to a GBF within a month or so for casting bass bugs in the canals and gravel pits around Miami and the 'glades after learing about them from Field and Stream. What a difference from level lines. I was sold on them.

After moving to Maine, I used it and then bought a lighter rod, probably a 6 weight, for trout, but stuck with a weight forward since I liked to fish lakes and ponds mostly and the bigger rivers, and I thought that DT's were ancient technology.

In the early 60's, when the Bangor Hydro dam was still intact, it would be clogged with stripers through the summer, and they were a real kick to catch on while bucktails. In all those hours of fishing for stripers for about 3 years, I saw only one salmon in the Brewer salmon pool.
    Jim.....
    It's funny how we blow right on by the DT and a roll cast.
    Folks like to see how far they can cast.....so we get a WF line to that end.
    WF lines mend only when the head is close by.
    But once you are out a ways.....you cant buy a mend. And, the mend makes for a perfect drift, not the cast.
    The DT made a come back with me a few years ago........I hardly overhand cast anymore....no real reason to.....
    My overhand cast went the same way the false cast did..........with a dry, or nymph.

Jim
    Ultimately, it's not catching fish that satisfies, but knowing how.

Bigfly

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234