Casting Tip - Try a "C" Cast Pickup

silver creek

Reaction score
Jason Borger has just put up a slow motion video of a "C' Cast Pickup on his blog. It a great method to both lift a dry off the water and snap water off of the fly so it is ready to be recast.

The top link is Jason's video and the next link is Gary's link about the "C" Cast Pickup. Jason's link is temporary since his blog is undergoing a revamp so I don't know how long the link will be up.

A Quick, Slow-Mo C | Fish, Flies & Water

Gary Borger » Blog Archive » The “C” Pickup

plecain

Reaction score
Been doing that for quite a while.

Just never knew it had a name. Learn something new every day (I hope).

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Silver: Thanks!

I saw a video of the C Cast Pickup earlier this summer and started practicing in the front yard, it is a pretty clever technique.

spm

Reaction score
Good video. I will try this. I have tried doing a semi, half-a**ed, spey cast to dry the fly, i.e. back and forth, horizontally in front of me. The biggest problem I have is little room for back casting in my waters.

Thanks, Silver.
steve

silver creek

Reaction score
Look at this Italian Style Casting video at 2 min 50 seconds and you will see the "C" cast pickup.

Last edited:

wjc

Reaction score
I was playing with that pickup a couple years ago in the field after watching a spey caster doing "snake rolls".

I've not used it on the water, but is a good way to get a wide angle change of direction if going towards the left (counter clockwize) for a right-handed caster wielding a powerful rod. The larger the circle, the wider the change of direction.

The backcast can then directed well off to the side rather than straight back on the pickup. You start the pickup in a big counter-clockwise circle and accelerate through the circular motion all the way through and out to your right side.

(added) I'd think it would be most applicable to guys swinging streamers on big waters.

cab

Reaction score
I was taught that this method was used to avoid the "pop" I (we?) so often get when I (we?) pull back to cast. I was only taught to do what he calls a "small" C, never thought to make it into a sorta snake roll. Another one to file away in the back of my pea- size brain........

Thanks, Silver,
CAB

slowdown

Reaction score
Never knew any of that had names. Just stuff I do with the rod. Over the years just kind of did those things. I did learn some Spey techniques over the years to help too, but never thought of the techniques by any names. Just casting.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
Neither those vids play for me. Hard to tell what Italian guy is doing. He puts stylized spin on his casts. But the Italian c cast looks like a snake roll to me But with more backcast. Snake to me gets line off the water aerialized with forward lateral anchor that allows for minimal backcast and D loop. Not sure what the difference is to me. Circle Spey is more like flowing snap t.

gwold

Reaction score
The first link, for "Fish, Flies & Water," gets an "insecure site" warning from two different browsers. I wonder if Jason's blog revamp, back in '15, happened. <shrug>

Gary's illustration with its small initial C loop looks quite different to me from the oversized loop in the Italian's video.

L-2

Reaction score
In
The first link, for "Fish, Flies & Water," gets an "insecure site" warning from two different browsers. I wonder if Jason's blog revamp, back in '15, happened. <shrug>

Gary's illustration with its small initial C loop looks quite different to me from the oversized loop in the Italian's video.
In the illustration, I make that cast all the time and I call it a spiral pickup. I’m not saying that’s what’s it’s suppose to be called it’s just what I call it.

In the vid, you could argue it is the same cast except he’s drawing a much larger spiral and the timing is different in the cast. I general would call what he’s doing more of a snake roll to distinguish between the two myself. YYMV

Neither one of the cast are too daunting to perform with a little practice. One you get the feel for it that spiral motion can be applied to a lot of situations in casting. 🙂

Last edited:

lanyard

Reaction score
I found that on a long float, I'll improvise all kinds of different casts that work in a pinch, but never named and largely don't remember them. Occasionally, I recognize them when seeing a demonstration by someone else.

Last edited:

Massimo Magliocco

Reaction score
Hi guys, the guy in the video is me. What you see is just a trailer but in the original video it's explained that the execution of this cast is used to make the fly jump on the water as soon as after the drift avoiding it splashing on the water or getting wet going under water.
This cast was developed by my Master Roberto Pragliola in the 70's and he called it Spirale (Spiral) cast. We also make another one called Ondulato (Wave) cast and it has the same purpose as the Spiral cast.
Surely many of you already make it
Ciao