Fly Cast: Step By Step 101

eastfly66

Reaction score
I stumbled across this series of videos 1 thru 7 and thought they were well structured and presented some good views & explanations for those just starting out. This is just one of the links but Google should link you to the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ecxS9Nqjs

Making a casting video is not a easy as I thought , I've tried to make a couple to have an instructor analyze my own stroke. I thought this one did a pretty nice job and I've seen a lot of them.

Cheers
Paul

silver creek

Reaction score
I stumbled across this series of videos 1 thru 7 and thought they were well structured and presented some good views & explanations for those just starting out. This is just one of the links but Google should link you to the rest.

YouTube

Making a casting video is not a easy as I thought , I've tried to make a couple to have an instructor analyze my own stroke. I thought this one did a pretty nice job and I've seen a lot of them.

Cheers
Paul
Great Videos. I've locked them down for you.

BIll Gammel - Learning to Cast

Essential 1: Straight Line Path

YouTube

Essential 2: Vary Casting Arc

YouTube

Essential 3: Pause and Length

YouTube

Step 1: Casting stroke

YouTube

Step 2: Proper Timing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRv0AWvK50I

Step 3 Developing Your Style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvTw-019LWc

Step 4: Developing Your Cast

YouTube

Step 5: Adding Power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w38XYn7TexU

Step 6: Adding Line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfF3CTRFrOg

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Paul and Silver

Very nice, I'll make a sticky of this, we get so many questions on "What is wrong with my cast", this has a wealth of information for the new fly caster to absorb and practice.

wjc

Reaction score
Great find, Eastfly!

I'm glad that Bill Gammel's "5 Essentials" are finally explained and demonstrated in such a logical, concise and easily understood manner by a master of fly casting as well as casting physics.

The previous best was an animation that has been defunct for several years now. This one will have thousands of views in short order.

All casting instructors should make that series mandatory watching/listening prior to beginning instruction for fly casting - sort of like the waiting room in the doctor's office - but far more useful.

And with a known waiting time before their appointments with the instructor.

PS:
Good move on the "Sticky" Larry!

karstopo

Reaction score
Bill Gammel lives here in the Houston Area. His videos and encouragement on a local Texas forum board helped me learn to cast with my off hand. I believe he is an educator at a local Houston area community college. I don't know if he is a member of NAFFF, but it would be nice to have him around here.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I believe he is an educator at a local Houston area community college
That certainly explains a lot , his profession is clearly evident in the clarity and structuring of these casting lesson. Nice Job Mr. Gammel.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I was impressed with Mr. Gammel's video in content, quality and structure and I wanted to look at his background as I am fascinated by how some people just seem to posses a natural ability to instruct or teach. He is the son of educators and is educated as a wildlife biologist. Mr. Gammel also has an in depth background as a casting instructor. I did not read if he is part of the Federation or not, but here is an excerpt from his biography page:

" I have set at a table with legends like Mel Kreiger and Jim Green discussing the art and science of fly casting. I have cast side by side with some of the greatest of the sport: fly casters like Tim and Steve Rajeff, Chris Korich and Rick Hartman. While in school, I earned a B.S. degree in Wildlife and Fisheries Management and earned a Masters of Biology in “bass fishing,” spending three years of my life doing rod and reel samples on some of the best private bass lakes in the state of Texas"

I believe I see distinct similarities between the above mentioned casting styles and/or methods of instruction in the above mentioned names and also those of Sexyloops, Jason & Gary Bogner and "Jack" Wolfglen Fly. The Lefty method may detract from some of the principles but I see many similarities in both content and format.

I'm not making a statement about styles or mechanics and not looking for a debate on such, just making an observation about Instructors/Educators and how they structure the material which I find interesting.

Cheers
Paul

auntrout

Reaction score
These are an excellent series of fly casting videos. Getting back into the sport after a long hiatus. Hope to get rid of some of my bad habits by applying techniques for these videos. Thanks