piling line

eaglesfn68

Reaction score
on my forward cast when the line hits the water the line, leader and tippet dont lay on the water on a straight line. It seems to get into a pile and i think is scares the fish and thats why im not catching anything.

how do i fix this?

BigCliff

Reaction score
You need to tighten up your casting loop. Check out some of the videos on sexyloops.com, or get some lessons.

FrankB2

Reaction score
I like this 3-part series: YouTube - Tight Lines-Learning to Fly Cast Part 1
Part One is just the basics (worth watching), and Part Two demonstrates how
simple a proper cast can be. Note what happens when the wrist is allowed
to "break" in Part Two.

Casting Practice: I believe that casting practice should be done away from
the water, at least until you get the basics down. Being on the water
makes you want to fish, not cast, and casting really requires its own special
attention. If you follow the casting steps in the link above (or any other
decent video) you should be able to consistently lay out 25-30 feet of line
in half an hour. The key word here is consistently. When I began teaching myself (and I use the word "teaching" rather loosely :D ), how to cast 30 years ago, I was content if 1 in 5 casts hit its mark :eek: . My attitude has improved a great deal since then, and I can assure you that learning the fundamentals shown in the video above will take all the mystery out of good casting.

P.S. Use a 7 1/2 foot leader when you first begin. It's easier to lay out than a 9 foot leader, and longer lengths can be used
after you've become proficient at laying out line.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi eaglesfn68,

Cliff and Frank have given you some good information. Casting videos are well worth the money.

Diagnosing someones casting faults is really tough with out seeing the person cast. One other thing to think about is your delivery. If it is not piling due to an open loop you may not be stopping your cast soon enough and you are throwing your line down onto the water. Try stopping your forward cast higher above the water and let the line fall/float to the surface. I am sure we all remember learning to spin cast the first time. The lure went straight up over your head or straight into the water about six feet in front of you. It is a matter of timing your release. You have to time your fly line delivery so it is above the water.

Frank

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hmmm....Not waiting for the line to straighten on the back cast would be
my first guess. When you cast, look over your shoulder and watch the line
unfurl. Beginning your forward cast too early will take all of the power out
of the rod and line, and result in the line collapsing in a pile. You have to view
the rod, line, and your body motions as a single system. Picture a helicopter
with a single damaged rotor: the entire helicopter becomes unbalanced, wobbles, and does not function. (It's the best analogy I could come up with
on short notice :D ).

Focus on casting 20-25 feet of line straight back, and straight forward. Don't
try for any further distance until you've mastered that. Also, holding the rod
vertical like Joan Wulff doesn't work for everyone. Lefty Kreh holds the
rod nearly horizontal, and I hold my rod somewhere in between. The important
thing right now is to watch the line straighten completely on the back cast
(but don't allow it to begin falling). This loads the rod, and allows the rod
to play its role in the system. The rod doesn't develop any energy if it
isn't allowed to bend at the end of a forward or back cast. Your line will
travel through the air even if the rod isn't loaded, it just won't travel in the
manner which you'd like. When you look over your shoulder to watch the
line unfurl, look to see that the rod has a bend in the top.

Start the casting motion slowly, add a bit more power along the way, and
STOP the motion. It's at this point that you should wait for the line to unfurl
in both directions, and then repeat the motion. Until you're ready to lay the
line on the water, the back and forward casts should be the same thing.
(Unless it's a roll cast, etc). Concentrate on a standard cast for now.

Davo

Reaction score
I agree with Frank that it is hard to diagnose your particular dilemma without seeing you cast. There are two possibilities.
One being you have to much of an arch in the path of your rod tip resulting in an open/wide loop which causes your line and leader to land in a pile. This can be solved by not bending your wrist and getting the rod tip to travel on a flat plain throughout your casting stroke.
The second is a closed or tailing loop which results in your line tangling on it's self in in the air and landing in a mess. This results from what is called shocking the rod. Basically you are applying to much power
at the start of your cast and then slowing down before the stop. Really just a timing issue that needs to be reversed. Your casting stroke should have the the power applied steadily through the stroke reach it's max right before the stop.
Again with out actually seeing your cast it is hard to evaluate what is going on.

fishenrg

Reaction score
I get this problem too on some of my casts. I'm one of those unfortunate self-taught casters who I think has taught himself many bad habits. I think from time to time I do many of the possible problems listed in all the posts above. Quick question, if you're trying to pay attention to the loop of your backcast...what does it mean if it consistently starts to sink down before the line straightens?

Davo

Reaction score
I get this problem too on some of my casts. I'm one of those unfortunate self-taught casters who I think has taught himself many bad habits. I think from time to time I do many of the possible problems listed in all the posts above. Quick question, if you're trying to pay attention to the loop of your backcast...what does it mean if it consistently starts to sink down before the line straightens?
This can happen for a couple of reasons. Insufficient power or lack of line speed, bending of your wrist to far at the end of your backcast. Try making sure you are starting your cast with no slack in the line and with your rod tip low to the water. Pick up your cast firmly and accelerate the rod all the way to your stop at the top. Feel like you are casting the line up high behind you, imagine there is a high wall a few feet behind you and you must throw the cast up over it. And try to have little or no flex of your wrist at the end (top) of your backcast. Hope that helps some. It's really hard giving casting instructions when not standing next to someone. I'm used to showing a person what I mean as well as telling.

Jackster

Reaction score
Two things I see when casts end up in a pile...
The line won't go if you don't stop the rod. If you do not stop crisply and high just after the 'speed up and stop' your line will most likely pile.

wfosborn

Reaction score
Hi eaglesfn,

I had that problem with my old rod using tapered leaders. I cut off the end and put on a longer piece of tippet and stopped having problems. For some reason I just couldn't get my old rod to turn over flies well using tapered leaders but can pretty easily with my own.

And on overpowering your cast, I've done that a few times and actually had the fly bounce back at me before it hit the water and cause a pileup. That was with big weighted flies though, I don't think I've had it happen with smaller ones.

--W