Okay lets be honest here!

roadglideguy

Reaction score
In Turks I was casting into 20 plus knot winds and gusts... Hooked myself royally in Achilles tendon...did I mention there were a lot of sharks around? Where is the best/ most painful place you have hooked yourself?

cb

Reaction score
I didn't hook me - an Atlantic salmon did. I was fishing a dropper and a big salmon took the point fly. When I brought it in - it was lying quietly on its side so I foolishly took a close up photograph. It took fright and dashed off back into the river hooking my hand with the dropper in the process!

Ouch! Playing a salmon by hand takes a whole new meaning! (thankfully it was tired!)

Colin

darkshadow

Reaction score
Sucks that the fingers are usually the place where I've been hooked.

And we have a gazillion nerve endings there for a reason.

Everywhere else? Piece of cake. Fingers? No fun.

dakotakid

Reaction score
Not sure there is a "best place" to hook yourself. :)

However, I did hook myself in the cheek in my early fly fishing days when trying to cast with a strong cross wind. Fortunately I was using a fly with a barbless hook and it didn't penetrate through all layers of the skin. Wasn't very painful, but did bruise my ego and made me much more careful.

An equally embarrassing fly fishing episode involved me hooking the back of my shirt. Had to take my fly pack, wader suspenders and then shirt off in order to unhook it. Needless to say, I was in view of others, which again seriously bruised my ego.

In spite of these moments, which are fortunately far and few between, I anxiously look forward to fishing again. :)

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I had a size 12 buried past the barb in my forearm. It was a PITA to get out but really wasn't very painful. As mentioned above, the dozens...or more...of hooks I've had in my fingers actually seem more painful.

With that said...a big fly in the Achilles....no thanks!

nevadanstig

Reaction score
The only bad one I've had, I put a jig nymph clean through my right earlobe. Literally pierced my ear with a pheasant tailed nymph. There's a picture of it floating around here somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

roadglideguy

Reaction score
I was feeling somewhat beaten when I was told about a book jacket cover by one of the big name fly casters where he had a fly thru his nasal septum...think that would be pretty high up there for pain!

karstopo

Reaction score
I buried a big treble hook past the barb in my left thumb, with 4# redfish still attached, but that was prefly fishing.

Fly fishing, I've thumped my shirt, hat, and pants a few times and gotten a little prick of the hook point, but nothing serious. I get a LOT of practice casting in the wind living in coastal Texas so I feel like I'm getting a handle on how close I can push the angles. But, a good sighted fish will push me into the danger zone.

philly

Reaction score
The only time I hooked myself fly fishing was a couple of years ago. I was tired, the wind was at my back. I'd already bounced the crease fly I was fishing off my hat a couple of times and I figured I had hooked my hat went to get it out and found the fly hanging from my ear lobe. It was debarbed but couldn't talk the guy I was fishing with to get it out. Ended up going over to another club member's house who lived nearby and he removed it without any pain. The trick, he explained, was to get the hook realigned with the tunnel it had created when it went in. You can feel it "align" and once it is the hook will come right out. This only works with barbless or debarbed hooks.