Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  44
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Analyze my cast....

1. Default Re: Analyze my cast....

I visited a local Fly fishing shop today and got more advice and bought some flies. I decided to go fish a stream this evening.

Wow. My world changed this evening on that stream. All of the casting power I was using before isn't necessary. Just nice roll casts. I had to improvise here and there but it was awesome. I can setup a cast and put the fly right against a tree and let it fall right into the water and watch it come back towards me. Amazing. This is why you guys do this.

I was fishing with small #10 rubber spiders. I caught a bunch of small mouth bass in the 8" range. I am guessing they stocked upstream somewhere recently. I also caught a few bluegill and this cool looking fish. Not sure what this is but it was beautiful. Some type of bluegill/shellcracker etc. So blue and orange in the sun. Can anyone tell me what this is?

The stream I was on.

2. Likes kentuckysteve, Hirdy, shaunsquid liked this post

Default Re: Analyze my cast....

Sounds like you had a great time.That fish is a longear sunfish.I catch them here and their colors always amaze me.
    -Steve

4. Default Re: Analyze my cast....

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckysteve View Post
    Sounds like you had a great time.That fish is a longear sunfish.I catch them here and their colors always amaze me.
    Beautiful fish and he fought hard for as small as he was. Thanks for replying!

5. Likes kentuckysteve liked this post

High body fish may be the strongest for their size. Whatever it might be. Watched friend dragged across deck on knees by 30lb (guesstimate) permit. Lost some skin on knees & 50lb straight leader. Went back to fly fishing (tippets under 20lb). But, 30lb'ish fish beat 250lb man and cut fly line after entering wreck.

Pretty fish !

...... pc

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
    And voilą! A new obsessive, compulsive fly-fishing addict is born. Welcome to the club.
    Don't like be called obsessive compulive. Habitual compulsive..ok, give you that. I'm not obsessed with fly fishing. Just nothing else I'd rather do. Mmmmmm maybe once.

........ pc

Farmington, ill. ( stop by for a cold beer on your way thru)

If it was possible to invest in a single store I would sink my whole retirement account into the closest Orvis store to freakaccident

I imagine they will know his name

8. Default Re: Analyze my cast....

Quote Originally Posted by k_e_v View Post
    If it was possible to invest in a single store I would sink my whole retirement account into the closest Orvis store to freakaccident

I imagine they will know his name
    Lol. I have actually found a locally owned shop I like better. They are less about selling me stuff than Orvis.

Quote Originally Posted by freakaccident View Post
    Lol. I have actually found a locally owned shop I like better. They are less about selling me stuff than Orvis.
    Finest kind..... they know helping you will give them a regular.

....... pc

10. Default Re: Analyze my cast....

Wow. My world changed this evening on that stream. All of the casting power I was using before isn't necessary. Just nice roll casts.

Yo F.A.,

Just to make sure I understand your terminology, When you are referring to "Roll Casts" are you starting with your flyline/tippet in the water out in front of you? The reason I ask is that by pre-loading your first back cast by using the water retention on the flyline, it is often quite easy to "feel" the rod load...This is a super important casting technique but should never become a crutch to pre-load the rod in all situations. However, when you go back to starting and finishing each stroke of your flycast "In Air" my question is how well are you feeling the rod load? Just curious... One of the issues of learning to fly cast or any other body mechanic type sport, is the ability of the mind/body to use muscle memory basics during times of difficulty. When something changes our "feel", including being tired, hung over, sore or ?? we often screw up our relied upon casting stroke. Even when the previous days or nights debauchery is a non issue nature comes in and screws things up as when the wind picks up, is in shear or in our faces. These conditions often times make us think we have lost the feel of the loaded rod and then go back to our bad habits of over powering, too long a stroke, raising our elbows, over using our shoulders, missing our stops, etc. Lord knows, I would love to state I make every cast perfect because my basics were perfectly practiced when I first started, but alas, that is just not the case...

That said, for those of us who did not grow up with a fly rod in our cribs, rather picking up this amazing sport as adults, there is still hope for great amounts of improvement..actually hope for a life time of improvement. Free Classes are a blessing while private instruction is a gift to ourselves (If we can afford it). As a note a private lesson from a proper instructor can be paid for by telling your kids, wife, future X-wife, mistress, friend's, drug dealers, pimps, etc., grouping together to give you a one hour, two hour or series of lessons, would be much more appreciated than a party or small individual gift of a pair of socks, tie or deodorant (Your true friends way of telling you showering should not be sacrificed to fish more.. they are wrong of course) from each of them. This gift can be for Bday, Holidays or just because you are such a wonderful person..Convincing them you need a gift is your job. The sooner you begin to practice your stroke/technique properly, the less time you will spend over-coming or at least minimizing the damage caused by improper muscle/mind memory....Having a personal fly casting lesson may be the single greatest and life long gift you can give yourself as it will give you a base line of proper fishing looks and feels that cannot be quite duplicated with on line lessons...

I do not just love this sport, rather I live my life around this sport. Thus my future state of mind depends on my getting better and better every time I pickup a fly rod. When things go south in my casting, knowing I can just go back to proper basics, helps me get out of trouble more often than not. Well that and a hit or two of great Scotch.... after fishing of course.

NEVER GIVE UP FLY FISHING AS FOR MANY OF US THE TERM IS A METAPHOR FOR LIFE.

Jamie
    Last edited by fishordie; 07-31-2017 at 05:31 PM.

11. Default Re: Analyze my cast....

I spent a few hours on a river this past weekend with a pro. He taught me how to nymph. I only caught one fish but the knowledge gained was priceless.

Catching the fish was great because all of the skills he taught me fell into place. I casted upstream against the bank and mended my line letting the fly turn and fall into place and the fish hit but I lost it because I had too much belly in my line. I re-casted upstream, mended, mended, the fish hit in the exact same spot and I hooked it this time. Brought it in and smiled for the rest of the day.

There are easier ways to catch fish for sure.

I am still pond fishing too. That is an entirely different ball game. Much more grunt on the ponds.

12. Likes k_e_v, kentuckysteve, Hirdy liked this post

This was a great read. It feels like I went through these exact pains just yesterday, even though it almost 5 years now. I probably spent 100+ hours casting on the grass in a park before even hitting the water. One day, while casting a piece of yarn at the end of a dock, an old timer approached and gave me amazing advice on how to improve my cast. These guys are doing exactly the same. My cast still looks like garbage, but it catches fish. Keep at it, always strive to improve, and never get discouraged.

As far as your most recent video, I will echo what these guys have said:
    1. The shorter your cast, the less arch there should be in the path your rod tip follows. When you start casting LONG distance, that arch will start to come into play but for right now focus on keeping as straight of a path for your rod tip as possible.
    2. Focus on that acceleration to a hard stop, pause, then accelerate forward to a hard stop, then lay the line down gently. If you cast all the way forward without the pause and gentle let down, you are going to splash the water and send fish running for the hills.
    3. Focus on rhythm and timing, not power. Horsing a fly rod won't do anything but make you tired. Easy to say, hard to learn.

Keep at it, you are doing great. Enjoy the process of your labor, don't focus on the results.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast