Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  44
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 64 of 64
  1. Default Re: Analyze my cast....

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunsquid View Post
    This was a great read. It feels like I went through these exact pains just yesterday, even though it almost 5 years now. I probably spent 100+ hours casting on the grass in a park before even hitting the water. One day, while casting a piece of yarn at the end of a dock, an old timer approached and gave me amazing advice on how to improve my cast. These guys are doing exactly the same. My cast still looks like garbage, but it catches fish. Keep at it, always strive to improve, and never get discouraged.

    As far as your most recent video, I will echo what these guys have said:
    1. The shorter your cast, the less arch there should be in the path your rod tip follows. When you start casting LONG distance, that arch will start to come into play but for right now focus on keeping as straight of a path for your rod tip as possible.
    2. Focus on that acceleration to a hard stop, pause, then accelerate forward to a hard stop, then lay the line down gently. If you cast all the way forward without the pause and gentle let down, you are going to splash the water and send fish running for the hills.
    3. Focus on rhythm and timing, not power. Horsing a fly rod won't do anything but make you tired. Easy to say, hard to learn.

    Keep at it, you are doing great. Enjoy the process of your labor, don't focus on the results.
    Thanks. I have been fishing a lot. I have even taught my daughters and a couple neighborhood kids how to fly fish. Kids are so easy to teach. With the kids I use this analogy. Using a spinning reel and rod vs a fly reel and rod is like screaming vs singing. They get it. They seem to learn the cast pretty easily. Much more easily than I did it seems.

    I am nymphing for trout now. I still bass fish for trout some but my real joy is going for panfish. I LOVE catching big fat bluegill or red ears.

  2. Likes shaunsquid, wf0 liked this post
  3. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    213

    Default Re: Analyze my cast....

    Quote Originally Posted by freakaccident View Post
    I am nymphing for trout now. I still bass fish for trout some but my real joy is going for panfish. I LOVE catching big fat bluegill or red ears.
    Good luck. Nymphing streams is the hardest part of fly fishing for me. Makes dry flies feel like a walk in the park. Stick with it, and try to learn a lesson every outing.

  4. Default Re: Analyze my cast....

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunsquid View Post
    Good luck. Nymphing streams is the hardest part of fly fishing for me. Makes dry flies feel like a walk in the park. Stick with it, and try to learn a lesson every outing.
    Funny thing. The instructor that taught me nymphing didn't even tell me what he was teaching me and I had no idea until the end of the day when he said "now you know how to nymph and now you can go get those trout at the tailwaters.".

    He taught me by using a strike indicator which I have now grown to love using even when fishing for small mouth or rock bass. I learned to use to two strike indicators a couple weekends ago while trout fishing from another guy. Pretty slick to watch one lag up and the strike on the other while nymphing.

    I saw some guys doing that new European stuff this past weekend with multiple flies. I am going to try to learn that next.

  5. #64

    Default Re: Analyze my cast....

    Quote Originally Posted by freakaccident View Post
    Funny thing. The instructor that taught me nymphing didn't even tell me what he was teaching me and I had no idea until the end of the day when he said "now you know how to nymph and now you can go get those trout at the tailwaters.".

    He taught me by using a strike indicator which I have now grown to love using even when fishing for small mouth or rock bass. I learned to use to two strike indicators a couple weekends ago while trout fishing from another guy. Pretty slick to watch one lag up and the strike on the other while nymphing.

    I saw some guys doing that new European stuff this past weekend with multiple flies. I am going to try to learn that next.
    Euro nymphing is killer. I was fishing last March on a tailwater and most of the indicator guys were coming up short. It just wasn't ideal for that type of presentation. The guide and I were high stick nymping with a vertical sighter made of backing. It's awesome being feet away from a fish and seeing that slight movement in the fish just before the sighter makes a hesitation. Also, awesome would be the dozens of other ways to catch fish on a fly.

    I'm relatively new to decent casting. I have been fly fishing for 20 years, but 99% of that was terrible casting at trout ponds and lakes for bass. Last year I decided to go 100% all in. Now its my one true vice.

    Goals are important. Casting instruction is important. Practice is important.

    A few things have changed recently. First, I try to catch myself when going for distance. Distance has it's place and that place comes after I can hit 20', 30' 40', 50' consistently. So my main bit of advice, coming from someone whose major qualification is his equal lack of experience, tackle one part of the cast at a time. These items could include the following:

    - Controlling the angle of the wrist
    - Keeping your rod on a single plane
    - Even controlled acceleration of rod to a stop
    - Stopping points of rod tip
    - Reducing power and speed in general

    So I check out a few of these each casting session. I'll start casting and only look at my wrist. I forget about the line and the rod, it's just me and my wrist. Then I'll do the same thing with acceleration. Same for rod on a single plane. Finally, I start casting to try and hit targets.

    I don't know much about anything but I hope this helps from the perspective of someone who is also very new.

  6. Likes Hirdy liked this post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2017, 04:20 PM
  2. Underhand cast and Traditional cast
    By runningfish in forum How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 06:38 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 04:01 AM
  4. Difference between a Roll Cast and a Standard Cast
    By silver creek in forum The Fly Cast
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 11:41 AM
  5. Tuck Cast, Pile Cast Causing Tangles?
    By randyflycaster in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •