Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Short Casts

Blog Entries

Default Short Casts

Here is a good video by the Utah Fly Guides demonstrating why fly fishers should practice their short casts as well as the long ones. Sometimes it's the shortest of casts that nets the biggest of fish.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UIfvl3N_fc]YouTube - Short Casts: A Short Film by Utah Fly Guides[/ame]

Larry

2. Likes eastfly66 liked this post

Default Re: Short Casts

Excellent video...So many of the fish I catch are with short casts I personally can't understand why people unless the are fishing for bonefish or similar want fast action rods that can cast 100' with ease. Matter of fact the majority of the fish I catch are with short line nymphing techniques and the dry fly fishing I do seldom gets past 30'. Then again for big rivers, surf fishing where you can't wade close enough to where the fish are I can see the point of switch and spey rods.
    -Tom Wilson
    Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

That was good Larry. Thank You.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fishingmonkey View Post
    Excellent video...So many of the fish I catch are with short casts I personally can't understand why people unless the are fishing for bonefish or similar want fast action rods that can cast 100' with ease. Matter of fact the majority of the fish I catch are with short line nymphing techniques and the dry fly fishing I do seldom gets past 30'. Then again for big rivers, surf fishing where you can't wade close enough to where the fish are I can see the point of switch and spey rods.
    Tom: I do the same thing, most of my casts are inside 30 ft.
    I think a lot has to do with the idea that the grass is always greener way over there marketing hype!

Larry

That will work Larry. Nice video Joni.
    Joni what is the sound track from? Some sweet tunes.

Larry, thanks for the video. No question about it, short casts catch more fish in freshwater than long casts - especially in rivers, more especially in rivers with fast water. Fly drifts are progressively harder to control as distance increases.

Specialty casts like aerial mends, reaches, and curve casts do too in that kind of water, and they are also more important than distance casts. They should also be practiced more than distance casting and used more often on fast rivers than straight casts.

But distance casts can be advantageous occasionally too, if for no other reason than, as Lefty Kreh said, "There is no disadvantage in being able to cast far".

Besides, after practicing aerial mends and hitting pie plates for a while, it's pure joy to throw it just as far as you can for awhile.

Cheers,
    Jim

Utah Fly Guides. Joni has nothing to do with them (anymore), but used to work with Jake Ricks and Spencer Higa and we know Grant. Mostly private water it looks like. Joni'll pop in in a few with some comments of her own.
    It's a cool video though.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

9. Default Re: Short Casts

I guided Linda and worked with a couple of those guys a few years ago. I know that river well, but it definitely wasn't that full...LOL

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the neat video and good music. I liked that tune. This video shows a lot of why so many love fly fishing for Trout.

Frank