Dbl line thrown !

pnc

Reaction score
15 mins and you can learn to double the amount of line you throw. Plus double the opportunities for catching fish. If one can unload 100'. 200 is very possible. Use your other hand. 100 each. Whatever it might be using both hands presents more opportunities to catch fish.
Speaker at SFF meeting tonight spoke of this & hauling (get to it shortly). Years back learned left hand casting after hurting right. Been using both since right got better. Long time now, became something taken for granted. Did not realize until tonight how few use both hands.
Quick way of learning to use..... let's say off hand. Is to use it. Help that hand learn motion by placing dominant hand on it. Or maybe knuckles together. Let one hand teach the other what it knows. Its easy to learn like this. 15 mins might be exaggerating.
We had guys doing it in 10mins. , double hauling ! And throwing more line than ever. A number stated so. Why ? Because they also learned to be efficient in their hauling techniques.
This to was an eye opener of sorts also. And a number of people will be a lot less tired when done fishing. Was surprising to see how many used distancing of hands to haul. The fastest line speed comes from line hand speed. A snap of the wrist less tiring than seperating hands as far as possible all day. Does the same without tearing any muscle or anything else. When practiced , timing in particular. It gets even better...... faster. Work on hand speed hauling.
If contemplating think about this. Anybody, you, me, them. Can move your hand towards you faster than you can move your hand away from your body. With this in mind , unless haul is slow starting. Those long cross body hauls are wasting time, energy & effort. First half is towards you second half away. Why bother ?
Another thing that was brought up, backcasting into wind. Another thing some did not understand. A few now realize their backcast is no better hauling or not than their forward cast. Those thinking so to begin with did not take into account their backcast started with line laying on the water. In effect adding a water haul to cast. The same can be done on a forward cast. Lay out line on water, start low, end high. Sound like backcast ? Add snap of wrist and Dorothy won't be in Kansas anymore. Be a new world !

(Ok, Lar ? shh)....... pc

Hirdy

Reaction score
WOW! That does sound interesting. I can cast 120', which is a whole line. How do I double that? Put a second line on the ground and tie the first to it? ;)

Actually, I'm not making a lot of sense from the post. I guess your enthusiasm for a new technique is shining through in the post.

Can you explain what it was you learnt?

Cheers,
Graeme

pnc

Reaction score
Simple use both hands left & right to cast line. 100' with left 100' with right. Or whatever the number might be.
Since circumstances forced me to learn casting with my left hand long ago. Been using either left or right ever since depending on circumstances. Over time it's become second nature. Never gave it any thought. Last night became aware that many never tried or even thought about learning to cast with either hand.
What I learned was how easy it can be to achieve this. By placing hand normally used to cast. Over hand not used with rod in that hand. If left is being taught what is an ingrained motion to the right. Let right teach left what it knows. Watched a dozen people do it in 10 mins last night. And in 5 more were also hauling. Learning haul started by holding line hand on chest while casting. In effect a weak haul. After 2 or 3 casts hand movment is added.
What impressed me was how easy & quickly one can learn to cast with their "off hand".
Learning to cast with either hand is not only beneficial to whoever is doing it. Others also. Guides if used , will spend less time ducking. And if repositioning boat isn't needed. More time is spent actually fishing. Two people can cast from boat or standing next to each other if using opposite hands.

........ pc

JoJer

Reaction score
When I got tennis elbow in my right, my PA told me to learn to cast with my left. I kinda treated that like science fiction: "Right, that ain't happening."
Just as well; I had the same thing in the left elbow within a year or so.
I water load a lot. I think it's the way to go with weights/weighted nymph rigs.

pnc

Reaction score
When I got tennis elbow in my right, my PA told me to learn to cast with my left. I kinda treated that like science fiction: "Right, that ain't happening."
Just as well; I had the same thing in the left elbow within a year or so.
I water load a lot. I think it's the way to go with weights/weighted nymph rigs.
A month after I started fly fishing my right was so bad it was usless for 3 months. With left learned to move rod to load. Instead of lifting & dropping which messed up right.
Sounds like you did it twice ? Cast different now ?

............ pc

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
This is exactly what I kept telling my friends was my problem, that my excessive fly casting had simply caused an imbalance.
That's when they reminded me that I cast with my left, so I'm not really sure what could be causing it.

B.E.F. :shades:

wjc

Reaction score
GrtLksMarlin said:
That's when they reminded me that I cast with my left, so I'm not really sure what could be causing it.

Sounds like "that-which-must-not-be-named" (at least on this forum.)

But I'll bet it's given you one heck of a lighting quick double haul. :D