CCI 7wt?

mike_r

Reaction score
Why is a 7wt rod/line recommended for studying and testing for the FFI certified casting instructor course? Wouldn't a 6wt setup be sufficient? I have ideas as to why but have never heard a or read any official reason. What say ye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toothybugs

Reaction score
I'm going through this myself when I can finally focus on it (darn corporate mergers...)

The IFFF rules state a rod must be no longer than 9 foot and no heavier than 7 according to the manufacturer. Doing some digging, I understood that they go by what the manufacturer has written on the blank if not a factory rod. Personally I grabbed a Steelhead line from SA for a 690 Xi2 because it has the power to tag a long cast but enough give for easy casting on the 40-45 casts we'll be doing otherwise.

I grabbed the Steelhead line for its rollcasting abilities. Any line can hit the 75 foot mark (especially factoring in your leader tip and rod length) so I chose a line that would be easier to do the other things with. I'll likely use it for my MCI as well as it does single-hand speys pretty easily. A Triangle Taper would probably be good too if you can get the distance with it. A line like an Ambush might be too challenging for anything but short rolls and distance.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Found it!!

Become a Certified Casting Instructor

wjc

Reaction score
I would say the main reason is that a 7 wt line is the heaviest and will, conseqently, be less affected by wind than any of the lighter lines - presuming the same line density and taper.

Though hitting a hoop at 45' is not very hard, each decrease in line weight makes it a little harder. Why make it harder on yourself than it needs to be?