The Drunken Fly

shutterbug57

Reaction score
Last Saturday I got a 3wt; 7' St. Croix Imperial rod. I have been having a blast exploring this little rod and what I can do with it. Well, yesterday I tied on a #6 spoon fly, one of those little metal ovals with a hook, and did some fishing. The conditions were a 10mph tailing/quartering wind - about 4 o'clock for a right handed caster.

I was having reasonable success casting with this fly with 15' or less line out, but as I got more line out it was weaving around and altitude control was sketchy at best. The little fly looked like a drunk trying to find his way home.

I didn't get any wind knots or nail myself (or anyone else), but I think I found the limit for weight on that rod - and then some. It could probably handle a #6 with feathers, fur or fluff, but that steel spoon, not so much.

Enjoying the learning curve.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I always think of 3WT rods for fishing small mountain streams, using small dry flies, hard to believe that St. Croix Imperial rod could handle a #6 spoon. I can imagine it was weaving all over the place, good to hear you didn't get impaled casting that thing in the wind. Also good to hear how versatile that St. Croix rod is, congrats!

shutterbug57

Reaction score
I always think of 3WT rods for fishing small mountain streams, using small dry flies, hard to believe that St. Croix Imperial rod could handle a #6 spoon. I can imagine it was weaving all over the place, good to hear you didn't get impaled casting that thing in the wind. Also good to hear how versatile that St. Croix rod is, congrats!
I'm not so sure I would say the rod handled it as much as we both survived it. There was 1 time on the back cast I had to duck or get nailed mid forehead. The rod has a fast action, that may let it carry more weight, but the spoon was definitely too much. It is a fun rod though.