Letting the Loops Inform Me

karstopo

Reaction score
I’ve probably made about or between one and two million casts (no exaggeration, I did the math) mostly with baitcasting rods and reels since I started fishing way back in my pre-teens. That’s some serious muscle memory to overcome when I’m trying to fly cast, especially from my dominant right hand. All that memory still wants to assert itself into my fly cast from time to time.

Lately, I tell myself when my casting is off is “let the loops show the way”. This almost instantly gets me back to being in control of my loops and cast. I’m not sure why it works, but maybe it just reminds my brain that I’m fly casting and not using a baitcasting reel.

It’s like I know how to fly cast and how to cast a baitcasting set up, but sometimes my signals get crossed. The little phrase “ let the loops show the way” is a reset button. Thought I would share for those that might struggle with something similar from time to time.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that's something I never thought of, how many casts does a person make in a lifelong pursuit of fly fishing or fly and bait combined. I have no idea of what I may have done up to this point but don't doubt you estimates regarding your own experiences. Because I am now using the 2 hand rods and a different style of casting your mention of letting the loops inform clicked with me here. I'm not throwing over head loops like I did for many years but using water anchored casts. That doesn't alter the point you've made, not for me. During a days fishing I find myself in various current speeds and on both sides of a river. The speed of the water you are using to anchor the line in while you get about the business of making the cast has a big impact on what's going to happen. Likewise being on the opposite side of the river than you were for the past three hours brings with it more changes.

I watch how the first cast goes when the environment has changed and then call up whatever remedies I've learned and apply them. I think it's sorta the same thing just different right :)

boisker

Reaction score
“...I’ve probably made about or between one and two million casts (no exaggeration, I did the math)....”

That’s one hell of a margin of error.... I hope you don’t do your own tax returns:p

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I have the same problem quite a bit.For many years i bass/crappie fished with every sort of rod and reel you could imagine.So used to casting a weighted lure i find myself trying to force my fly cast.Mostly when i am trying to hurry up and get the fly back out there like i would when i were casting a crankbait.

I slow down as you stated and sort of go back to the basics,watch my back cast and everything just works out.

I am 54 and have fished since probably age 8.Maybe younger.I could not even guess how many casts i have made but this post sure made me stop for a moment and think about it.:)

boisker

Reaction score
A friend who is a qualified casting instructor and guide gave me some great advice... I used to have an annoying habit of over powering my forward cast...

So... stand side on and cast horizontally across your front... you can see the whole of the forward and back cast... it cured my over powering issues.

I still use it as it’s useful for analysing your stroke when practicing and occasionally but even more useful... if I feel as though my casting is slightly out of kilter when fishing I turn side on and just do a few across the body casts... amazing how it allows you to slip straight into the rythm

shadowwalker

Reaction score
And for all theses years Casting Instructors have been getting their hip on their shoulder because students understand instantly why I wont use the word 'Casting' while helping them to understand. What you say to yourself is what you think to yourself. What you think is what your going to do. You know how to cast, hows that working out for you with a fly rod. Accurate actions come from correct and accurate thoughts, productive language is mindful to purpose. We are all our own first best instructor. Your starting to learn the difference between borrowing knowledge and owning it.

wjc

Reaction score
Karstopo said:
Lately, I tell myself when my casting is off is “let the loops show the way”. This almost instantly gets me back to being in control of my loops and cast.
That's a great way to self - correct, because the loop shape and size are the end result of what the rod was doing and when it was doing it prior to the loop forming. And obviously the rod was doing what your body was making it do.

So in order to get the loops under control, you probably take in some line and start reshaping the loop at shorter distances then work your way back out further again.

Boisker's cross body technique is a great one that goes together well with "letting the loops show the way" because you can easily see them both front and back without contorting your body unnaturally in order to do so. Unnatural twisting will affect what the rod is doing and consequently the loop itself..

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
A related observation...the fly rod casting stroke is by necessity a symmetrical power and timing arm action, back and fore. This is NOT a natural motion but a learned technique. It is our natural and natal motion to throw a ball...or spear or rock forward with force. We have done this though our entire genetic lineage. Only shortstops and fly fishers throw backwards equally to forwards, no other stroke sport requires this.

I have been fly casting since I was 14 years old and have, as an adult, fished with some brilliant casters and to this day have issues with back cast power and dimensional symmetry so, yes, my loops inform me.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Often my clients are big strong guys....
Guys approach things as a muscle issue.
Hauling back and hammering the cast. Giving it a "double-pump" as well......
They might even add the extended arm, and the deadly rod-tip-drop to boot.
All this adds up to the fly landing at the end of the fly line.
I have them switch their stance, moving the foot on their casting arm's side forward.
This prevents the "wind-up" approach.......of the search for power.
I have them hold their elbow against their side when casting as well......
The combination of the two tips, together, along with a vow not to drop the rod tip at the end of the cast.....
Suddenly they have a working cast that is longer than their rod.....
Watch video of Joan Wolfe casting to see how little power is needed to whip out a good cast!
A good cast lurks nearby, a great cast is a little further away.......

Jim

shadowwalker

Reaction score
Actually I think , your loops reveal your efforts and understanding, but not perhaps your capability. Any time you feel you could do better, it is most likely you can. The reason I don't teach 'casting' is because it doesn't relate well to fly fishing.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Yep my loops inform me. Still after all these years, my casting can get wild especially when fatigue sets in.

I like coming up with new solutions to some old problems, I like new casts and new approaches.

I’m really working on consistency with my skagit and spey casting especially when switching up my casts.

The beauty for me is the days, when after working on casts and fishing a lot is having just a great day, casting and catching fish, not having to think about or work at it.

Avoiding low branches, rocks, brush, logs, looking and putting my fly right in the zone, hooking up on some great trout.

Synchronicity

knotjoe

Reaction score
It’s like I know how to fly cast and how to cast a baitcasting set up, but sometimes my signals get crossed. The little phrase “ let the loops show the way” is a reset button. Thought I would share for those that might struggle with something similar from time to time.
I'm there, dude.

I get the "lines crossed" effect all the time and have to observe and remind myself. Noticed this quite some time ago when I was using vid function on my camera to check something about line tracking and a certain rig. Wow...looked like I was casting a spinning rod on the forward a good percentage of the time.

Same type phenomenon occurs after a lot of shoreline fishing with high foliage behind me. Subconsciously, I tend to develop a very high backcast and have to reset when wading creeks without such obstacles behind me.

Just becomes part of the normal adjustments across tackle lines and water types anymore. Took a long time for me to realize it, though, and I sometimes wonder if other folks casting problems have their root in the same area. Use the Loop Mantra, think of the flat plane above, ponder proception, whatever and all it takes to put it together right.

I'm at my worst here when sight fishing and aiming at a compelling target:D