Getting extreme distance

jspfishing

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just started fly fishing a few weeks ago and been really practicing my casting in an open field and on the water. I am having trouble hitting a 100ft cast. I know its not really necessary; however, I like to always raise the bar to improve. Plus, my friend who fly fishes all the time said I should be able to hit 100ft easily. Not sure if he was just messing with me or what, but its been a grind to get distance. At the moment, I'm stuck at 70 feet. I just learned the double haul from watching some videos, but it's not consistently perfect. I do the feel the rod load a lot more and when I get a good flow I hit 70ft. A lot of the time when I go to shoot the line, it kind of bunches through the eyes of the rod. Another thing, when I do my first haul and go to feed the line back on my back cast, it doesn't always feed back, it just goes slack. I'm not sure if it's a timing thing, technique, my wrist, or equipment. I went really cheap on my first outfit and got a used rod. It's a 6wt 8'6 three forks Cabela's rod with WF line. It's in good condition, but it was sitting in its case inside a closet for years. I am not sure how old the line is. Could old line be a culprit to casting distance? Thanks

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Look, I like airing it out for all the usual reasons, BUT! You've been at it a couple of weeks, using that outfit, hitting 70' and haven't had any instruction yet? Ya' he's yankin' your chain. You'll get there....but I doubt I'd buy a new line to put on that rig as a solution to trying to get to the 100' mark ( it could also be the guide set on that rod just doesn't mesh with going long ), if that's something you really want to accomplish, I'd seek a little casting instruction and maybe listen a little less to your buddy. Take a look at the distances that some of the best, well trained and practiced competition casters in the world do with a five weight in a distance competition with top end outfits chosen for the purpose. By comparison, at this point, you're doing fine.

Dave

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
jspfishing
My first impression is your buddy is messing with you big time!
You have a lofty goal of being able to cast 100 ft consistently and being new to fly fishing and owning an entry level outfit. Your best bet is going to be getting that double haul down pat, but that is going to take some practice and maybe help from a certified casting instructor.
My next suggestion is to upgrade your Cabelas entry level outfit. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a fast action rod. I use a Sage ONE 7 wt and it is a casting canon, I'm 72 and it is pretty easy to cast the entire fly line without doing any hauling, once you get your timing down. The best part is that Sage has discontinued the ONE line so you can pick one up on eBay at a steep discount.

jspfishing

Reaction score
I just missed the free casting classes Orvis was doing twice a week. They told me they will start up again in Spring. I did notice that when I slowed down a bit and took some power off my cast, the rod performed a lot better. Like hitting the sweet spot on a baseball bat. Yea I was thinking about upgrading in the next couple months to a heavier rod 8 or 9wt for smallmouth, largemouth, Chesapeake bay, and possibly Salmon. That Sage rod sounds nice. They price tag scares me. I bet they cast like a dream. I'll eventually get one when I get a little more senior. What are your thoughts on the Redington Crux rod? Lets just say Redington definitely supports the troops and federal law enforcement.

jspfishing

Reaction score
Thanks. People have told me 40-50ft is usually good to catch plenty of fish. I just have this honey hole full of big largemouth bass I usually fish, but on a fly rod, it's just out of my reach haha. It's about 90ft away. I'll look into picking up some line. The welded loop broke on it anyways. I fixed it with a nail knot, but after sitting in a closet, it's time to upgrade. Plus, a lot of videos I've seen harp on the importance of good line. Thanks. I'll price some instructors or maybe get a guide for a day.

jspfishing

Reaction score
Look, I like airing it out for all the usual reasons, BUT! You've been at it a couple of weeks, using that outfit, hitting 70' and haven't had any instruction yet? Ya' he's yankin' your chain. You'll get there....but I doubt I'd buy a new line to put on that rig as a solution to trying to get to the 100' mark ( it could also be the guide set on that rod just doesn't mesh with going long ), if that's something you really want to accomplish, I'd seek a little casting instruction and maybe listen a little less to your buddy. Take a look at the distances that some of the best, well trained and practiced competition casters in the world do with a five weight in a distance competition with top end outfits chosen for the purpose. By comparison, at this point, you're doing fine.

Dave
Thanks. People have told me 40-50ft is usually good to catch plenty of fish. I just have this honey hole full of big largemouth bass I usually fish, but on a fly rod, it's just out of my reach haha. It's about 90ft away. I'll look into picking up some line. The welded loop broke on it anyways. I fixed it with a nail knot, but after sitting in a closet, it's time to upgrade. Plus, a lot of videos I've seen harp on the importance of good line. Thanks. I'll price some instructors or maybe get a guide for a day.

denver1911

Reaction score
If you are casting 70 feet with a Cabelas Three Forks 6wt after only starting a few weeks ago ... you are doing better than most! I've been at this 40 years and struggle to get 70 feet with a fast rod and distance taper line on a calm day.

With that kind of start, I'd take a step back and get the fundamentals down pat first. Obviously, you have potential to be a great caster. Start by casting 30 or 40 feet and making sure your timing is right and loops controlled and as tight as possible with your current equipent.

Once you get some consistency in form, stay at 30 or 40 feet and focus on accuracy. Can you land a fly in a hula hoop at 40 feet? Work until you can.

Then, when you have good form, controlled loops, and stellar accuracy, go for distance. You'll get it much quicker that way and it will be rewarding.

At that point, you should consider a different rod and line. You'll be ready!

Good luck and stay with it. Sounds like you will adapt easily to casting a fly rod.

flytie09

Reaction score
Go ahead and pace out 75 ft from you... it's 25 yards and you'll realize this is a long way for fly fishing. For most people this is more than adequate for fresh water species unless you're fishing on the salt. He's yanking your crank.

Be proficient with what you have, where you fish... then worry about distance. I never do care much about casting for distance trout fishing. You scare more fish trying to bomb one out for that fish super far away than you can imagine..

ft09

jspfishing

Reaction score
If you are casting 70 feet with a Cabelas Three Forks 6wt after only starting a few weeks ago ... you are doing better than most! I've been at this 40 years and struggle to get 70 feet with a fast rod and distance taper line on a calm day.

With that kind of start, I'd take a step back and get the fundamentals down pat first. Obviously, you have potential to be a great caster. Start by casting 30 or 40 feet and making sure your timing is right and loops controlled and as tight as possible with your current equipent.

Once you get some consistency in form, stay at 30 or 40 feet and focus on accuracy. Can you land a fly in a hula hoop at 40 feet? Work until you can.

Then, when you have good form, controlled loops, and stellar accuracy, go for distance. You'll get it much quicker that way and it will be rewarding.

At that point, you should consider a different rod and line. You'll be ready!

Good luck and stay with it. Sounds like you will adapt easily to casting a fly rod.
Thanks I practice a lot. I try to get in a practice grass session daily for at least 30min to an hour. I had to break down that double haul into 4 parts, then two, etc...I think you're right. I should focus more on shorter range with precision. I think not having tight loops messes up the back cast feed on my initial haul. I try to keep a mental target and my eyes on the target to practice spot fishing. But its hard not to look at my loops.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I was at a fly fishing / Spey Clave last year where they invited me to participate in a single hand rod distance competition. I had no intention of joining in but got drafted because I was one of the presenters for two hand casting and fishing. My appearances at these things has more to do with presenting techniques of fishing more than casting. But I took up the Winston 9 foot seven foot rod that all contestants had to use and was given 2 minutes to get myself sorted out and whatever my longest 'good cast' was within those 2 minutes was my entry. I hit 88 feet three times and there were some which may have went further but they collapsed before unfurling. The point of all this is that I've been casting for many years and when put to the test 88 feet was what I could put out. The winner hit 109 I think and he was a contest kind of guy. So, 100 foot within the first month of casting in my opinion would be very good indeed.

In defense of this admission of girlieman performance in front of an audience I would offer that this was the first time I had cast a single hand rod in an effort for distance in over seven years. Still I am impressed with what you have posted here as a beginner. The suggestion of working on accuracy at normal fishing distances is a very valid one. I often fish with a 15 foot Winston with which I can reach out quite far but most of my fishing occurs in the zone of 80 feet and less. My most comfortable range for fishing is 65 feet unless I must fish closer.

You may have a future on the casting circuit,

Ard

eastfly66

Reaction score
How about casting that 15' Winston single handed for distance Ard? Now that would be impressive :) Maybe with a 700 grain skagit to boot, that I would have to take my hat off too !

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Relax. Most trout are caught within 40 feet. 70 feet is a long cast for most anglers with a lot more casting experience than you have. Most fly lines are 90 feet. 100 feet truly is, as you say, "extreme".

My advice would be to fish for a couple of seasons, learn more of the other skills that contribute to fishing success, and then decide whether you need to cast even farther. (I'm guessing you will discover that the occasions where you really need to cast a whole fly line, much less into the backing, will be exceedingly rare.)

If, in the unlikely chance that you do find yourself needing more distance, or if you simply want to cast farther for the sheer sense of accomplishment, get yourself a dedicated distance-casting outfit with a very fast rod and a specially designed line like the Sci Anglers Expert Distance. Don't expect it to be as much fun as an all-round outfit for most ordinary fishing situations, though. And get some private casting lessons from an experienced distance-casting coach. I don't know of any athlete (because now you are really talking about athletics, not just recreation) who performs at the top level in any sport without the best equipment and good coaches.

Last edited:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Lots of great advice already provided. It is a perfectly fine ambition to perform at your best and distance casting capability positively enhances your more realistic fishing distance casting...30 - 70'. Unless we focus on competitive aspects of casting, most of us here would have difficulty besting Ard's 88' cast.

You are correct that your Three Forks rod and old line might be handicapping you but stick with it till springtime when you get instruction to enhance your excellent practice regimen. When you understand casting better you will also understand more thoroughly what kind of outfit you wish to fish with.

I will give you this though; if your line is bunching up between the guides, you are likely forcing and punching your cast...pushing rather than pulling your line trough the air. Let the rod load up and release high focusing on the smoothness of your loop shapes and this will lead to more distance with less effort. Also the #1 casting flaw is SLACK in the line, when the line goes slack, the energy has dissipated from the bent, now straight rod. This is a timing and line hand control issue. Work on these two aspects on the lawn and get back to us.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
A few years back, I attended a casting clinic with Bob Clouser
There was about 20-25 guys there, and at the beginning of the class Bob took a poll on who could cast a distance.
50 -60 -70- 80- 90 feet-- A full line,
Out of over 20 people only 2 of us raised our hand to 80ft,. Less than 90%
No one boasted more

Last edited:

biker1usa

Reaction score
Most of the fish are well within the 100 foot range, no need to cast that far. But, that being said, I have been concentrating on my casting for the past few years and have also been able to put out the entire fly line on the reel, up to the 100 footers on some of the reels. Just a point of personal pride for me, not to show off. I am still learning every day when out on the water even though I have been fly fishing since 1975.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I'm a HS Science teacher I've found that estimation of distances is a skill that is declining. Estimate the classroom length, radius of a tire, width of a pencil...doesn't matter answers are often powers of ten off.

When someone says they cast 100ft I usually ask them if they are measuring. Go stand on a goal line and try casting to the 30, 40, 50 accurately.

Have your friend demonstrate his 100' cast.

jspfishing

Reaction score
I was at a fly fishing / Spey Clave last year where they invited me to participate in a single hand rod distance competition. I had no intention of joining in but got drafted because I was one of the presenters for two hand casting and fishing. My appearances at these things has more to do with presenting techniques of fishing more than casting. But I took up the Winston 9 foot seven foot rod that all contestants had to use and was given 2 minutes to get myself sorted out and whatever my longest 'good cast' was within those 2 minutes was my entry. I hit 88 feet three times and there were some which may have went further but they collapsed before unfurling. The point of all this is that I've been casting for many years and when put to the test 88 feet was what I could put out. The winner hit 109 I think and he was a contest kind of guy. So, 100 foot within the first month of casting in my opinion would be very good indeed.

In defense of this admission of girlieman performance in front of an audience I would offer that this was the first time I had cast a single hand rod in an effort for distance in over seven years. Still I am impressed with what you have posted here as a beginner. The suggestion of working on accuracy at normal fishing distances is a very valid one. I often fish with a 15 foot Winston with which I can reach out quite far but most of my fishing occurs in the zone of 80 feet and less. My most comfortable range for fishing is 65 feet unless I must fish closer.

You may have a future on the casting circuit,

Ard
Thanks! Double haul video from RIO on youtube was helpful. Practice makes permanent is what my coach always told me. I'm a perfectionist and very competitive when I start something new, I get obsessed which is good and bad haha. I'm going to tone it back down a bit though and not worry about distance so much. The distance number clouded my mind. Being put in perspective, accuracy and consistency will benefit in the long run. Especially, on critical moments if you sight a monster. No point trying to hit a 500ft home run if you strike out 3/5 times. Theres some sort of fly fishing convention near Richmond in January. For $30 they offer some basic casting and presentation classes etc. Another $80 to learn from this lady who's a certified jedi master on advance techniques. Looks like a great opportunity to sharpen up some tweaks for what looks like a reasonable price point for the guest instructors who are top notch it seems. My vise is suppose to be delivered today, now I'm going to be obsessed tying haha. My fiancé is going to kill me!

jspfishing

Reaction score
I'm a HS Science teacher I've found that estimation of distances is a skill that is declining. Estimate the classroom length, radius of a tire, width of a pencil...doesn't matter answers are often powers of ten off.

When someone says they cast 100ft I usually ask them if they are measuring. Go stand on a goal line and try casting to the 30, 40, 50 accurately.

Have your friend demonstrate his 100' cast.
Yea I believe peoples "eye-crometre" is not really calibrated. After celebrating 40ft and being told that isn't really far made me bust out some marker flags on this empty field with measured distances like a driving range. I need the satisfaction of knowing without any estimation. Im going to focus more on dropping it on specific targets around the distances you suggest. End goal is catching fish, not distance. My friend poisoned my mind and tried to make this a competition.